Philippines Trip Report - Ticao, Malapascua, Coron, Tubbataha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moorish8idol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Philippines trip report (23 March – 13 April 2018)

As mentioned in my other post, I just got back from a fabulous 3 week mostly-diving trip to the Philippines. With the hope that it can assist and inspire other divers to the region, I thought I would share my experiences with different dive sites and shops.

For the first part of my trip, I paid for a dive and lodging-inclusive “dive safari” through Thresher Shark Divers that would split a week between Donsol/Ticao and Malapascua. I flew into NAIA T3, stayed the evening in a pod at the Wings Transit Lounge (I can recommend this for layovers – shared showers, wifi, pretty clean and quiet) and then flew out again, also in T3 luckily, to Legazpi. Turns out we were only 2 ladies on our “safari” and we were promptly picked up in Legazpi and taken to Donsol for a butanding interaction (whale shark snorkeling) before a boat transfer to Ticao Island where we would (supposedly) have a few days of diving. I specifically chose Donsol because, after some reading and research, I had decided that Oslob would not be an ethical place to try to see whalesharks. Having been to Donsol, I can’t say that I would promote this option either. While they do not feed the whalesharks in Donsol, it is still quite a circus (and the day we were there the weather was rainy, cloudy, cold and had generally poor visibility in the water so there were far less than the maximum number of 30 boats) – the boats keep their engines on the entire time (your experience is for 3 hours and they have departures in the morning and the afternoon) and if there is only one or two whalesharks in the area, they tend to circle around them the entire time. As a diver, I know how bothersome it is even at 30 metres when a motor boat flies across overhead – I can’t imagine how terrible it is for the wildlife to be inundated with up to 30 engines buzzing all day long. They say only a max of 6 people in the water at a time but again if there is only one animal and guests have been sitting on a boat for several hours, their BIO is going to let them get into the water. In sum, I can’t recommend this activity – it really doesn’t feel like it is good for the marine life (although I know it is important for the local economy) and I would recommend diving in the Ticao Pass for a more natural and ethical interaction with whalesharks.

The boat ride to Ticao Island took us about 2 hours as conditions were sub-optimal (on a good day you could maybe make it in 1.5 hours) and we stayed 3 nights at the Ticao Island “Resort”. It’s a cute place but by no means a resort in the western sense. I had a budget fan-cooled room (it was cold and stormy while I was there so the fan was more than enough) and was surprisingly clean and critter-free. The shared bathrooms were decent though the water pressure in the ladies WC was practically nil (so I used the men’s after) – dinner is a buffet set-up in the main dining hall and it was generally pretty good with a western-dish and a Filipino dish on offer. At dinner they had you select your packed-lunch for the next day of diving which included sandwiches and Filipino food like adobo (all options were really good). As for the dive shop, I have to say I was pretty disappointed with its organization – it didn’t seem like anyone was really in charge of the place, communication was generally poor and it seemed like a lot of people were missing out on dives for inexplicable reasons. While the weather was not great while we were there, it did not seem poor enough to justify canceling the amount of dives that they did. Our first day was a no-go and other guests had told us they had their dives cancelled the two previous days and people were pretty frustrated. While Manta Bowl is out in the open, San Miguel Island is sheltered and there seemed to be no reason to refuse to go there. We had winds around 12 knots and waves were very very small. This is when I started to realize that bangkas are not very good boats for diving – kitting up is uncomfortable and often unsafe in the small and rocky spaces on the boat and we were crawling around when getting back up on deck with our tanks strapped to us. The first day, we were initially told to report for our dive day at 8 am but were told at breakfast that we wouldn’t dive until 10 am because that’s when another group was going and they seemed unwilling to send more than one or two boats if it could be avoided. When we questioned this, especially since the weather was not going to improve as the day went along, we were then told that we would go out at 8:30 but then sat at the dive shop for over an hour, received a very long briefing and then around 10 were told that the weather had worsened and we couldn’t go out anymore and would sit and wait until noon to see if it would get better. We were promised dives at San Miguel if the weather didn’t improve by the afternoon but by noon they told us to wait another hour – everyone disappeared so we had to keep chasing after DMs to get the news, ask why we couldn’t go to San Miguel – everyone had a different story and kept pushing the waiting time back and eventually we were refused dives at San Miguel because the weather was too rough to even travel there (it was not – we were there with Thai dive pros who said the weather conditions were typical for their everyday dive outings in Thailand) – it seemed that the boat captain didn’t want to go out for whatever reason and another guest who understands Viscolino heard the captain saying that he would tell the guests that we would try to go out to Manta Bowl but then stop halfway there and say it was impossible – which is what happened when we finally kitted up and set off around 3:30 pm. It was all the more disappointing to have a Donsol-based dive boat come up on our beach that afternoon for a visit and to hear that they had been to both Manta Bowl and San Miguel – the divers there told us the top-side conditions were a bit choppy but nothing crazy and that the current was strong (as is normal for the bowl) but again nothing crazy or unsafe. We managed to go out the next day and got 4 dives in at Manta Bowl – make sure you drop in at RAC Point because we didn’t even have time to get our reef hooks into the rocks before an 8 metre whaleshark cruised right over heard. Manta Bowl is an advanced dive due to the current and the depth (we had 2-3 knots so hooks are needed) and you tend to sit at around 25 metres waiting for the big guys – Nitrox would have been very good on this dive to extend bottom time (it wasn’t offered at Ticao) and since it is a sandy bottom around the 25 m level, you don’t need to really worry about exceeding your depth limits. We unfortunately saw no mantas and were told by the guides that they hadn’t seen any for at least 2 weeks. A friend was there the week after me and saw about 10 whalesharks in a single dive at RAC but again no mantas… I do have to say that the DMs were really great – they were safe, considerate and know the sites really well – its just that the shop is completely disorganized and no one seemed to care or acknowledge that people travel very far to get to Ticao to go diving and that when dives are carelessly cancelled, it creates huge disappointment. We learned later that a couple at the resort were denied a day of diving because they only wanted to do 2 dives (dives here are expensive at 10,300 PP for 4 dives) and were told both of the boats going out were doing 4 dives. This was ridiculous since the plan was always for both boats to do 2 dives in the morning, return to the resort to switch out and fill up tanks, and then go back out for 2 more dives. We could easily have accommodated this other couple for their 2 dives in the morning or afternoon but they lost that opportunity because of poor organization and general lack of care for the guests. In the end, I highly recommend dives at Manta Bowl but can’t recommend Ticao Island Resort’s dive shop. They have a monopoly on diving and even though it is only 30 minutes to MB (versus 1.5 hours from Donsol), I’d think that the increased competition in Donsol might mean you have a better chance of actually getting out and doing your dives (in the number of dives you would like).

After a great day of 4 dives, we were told that our safari boat to Malapascua (on which we had 3 dives scheduled) was being cancelled because of a “typhoon”. There was no typhoon anywhere nearby and in fact the weather that day was the best it had been in over a week (totally calm waters, sun, no wind). We are thus suspicious of the cancellation of the boat – since it was Easter week, I wonder if the boat owners got a better offer (more $$$) from someone else and decided to divert the boat elsewhere. In any event, I chose the safari explicitly to avoid the backtracking and long travel day to Malapascua but that is what we had to do – boat back to Donsol, winding road to Legazpi, flight to Cebu city, over an hour in Cebu City traffic (ugh) and 3 hours north to Maya Bay and a very uncomfortable and slightly frightening 45 minute Bangka transfer in the dark to Malapascua. But we made it.

In Malapascua, we stayed at Blue Corals Resort – it has a good location at the end of the main strip and a little private beach but its economy bungalows were infested with bed bugs (as evidenced by two fellow divers who got absolutely devoured) and the hotel refused to accept responsibility or do anything about it – after much hullabaloo, one insistent diver (the other had left) got a different room but nothing was done of the bed bug infestation and new guests were simply ushered into the same bungalow. By the looks of the other places on the strip, pretty much every hotel in town is nicer than the Blue Corals. I was up-top in the A/C seaview room and it was adequate and comfortable and bed-bug free – wifi only works in the reception far from the room which seems fairly standard in the Philippines albeit annoying. I did three early morning thresher shark dives with TSD. They weren’t in a particular rush to get going in the morning but it didn’t affect our dives – they have their own mooring line which is great when you arrive at 5:40 a.m. and see dozens of boats all lined up on the other side. I only ever saw TSD divers in Monad Shoal and despite pretty poor viz on our dives, we saw lots of threshers and immediately upon our descent. TSD offers Nitrox and I would recommend it for Monad since you will likely spend most of your dive around or below 25 m. Also because it is an additional cost, it meant few divers were on Nitrox and I got my own DM for my second dive which meant we headed to a less crowded part of Monad and sat for several minutes with 4 big threshers just circling around us and coming in real close – it was a bit heart-stopping but amazing. They are definitely my favourite shark – so majestic and beautiful. I did 5 other dives with TSD out to Kalanggaman Island (2 wall dives though I found them quite boring as it is just macro though the island is really pretty and a bbq on the beach is worth it) and 2 dives out at Gato Island which everyone raves about but I really didn’t care for (again, mostly macro, some corals and people get very excited about the white-tips sleeping under the rocks but I am a spoiled diver and am used to dozens of swimming sharks so was a bit underwhelmed by this site though it was especially poor because the water was cold, murky and the lack of sunlight didn’t help viz at all- a fellow diver came up from the dives saying “that sucked! That was like diving in England!”). I also did the mandarin fish dusk dive – this was interesting as you find some coral where the mandarin fish live and as the sun starts to set, they start to come out of their hiding spots and mate. We also saw a pretty neat seahorse so this is an interesting macro dive. What I wasn’t expecting was that you spend about an hour just sitting in one spot so you can get quite cold. I was wearing a full 3 mm with hood (which I realize now I am only comfortable in if the water is 30 degrees) but really should have had a 5 mm for this one so just a note to those who get cold that some extra coverage for this dive would be useful. (At Monad Shoal temps were about 27-28 degrees but it was likely a bit warmer here in the bay at the Lighthouse). The dive shop has a restaurant and bar attached and it is a nice place to assemble post-dive to chat with other divers, have happy hour and even have a candlelit dinner on the beach. As for TSD, I found the shop to be a bit of a factory – as a customer, I felt more like a number with a dollar sign attached to my head than a welcome guest. I had one DM that was ok but not great and another that was fabulous; regardless, they all work very hard – they are up at 3 am filling tanks and depending on their schedule, might still be taking divers for a nightdive at 6 pm. I was told they make only 350 PP a dive which made it even more off-putting that the shop, at bill time, seemed very intent on nickel and diming customers at every step (and really emphasizing that we should be tipping DMs, which I am happy to do, but a bit upset that they really need the tips to survive because their base compensation isn’t quite where it should be) – there were a lot of (albeit small) fees that I was never informed about from the get-go that certainly added up over time. Fees for sandwiches on day tours, a night dive supplement fee, varying park fees (again I am happy to pay these but think people should be advised ahead of time) and so on. Bizarrely I also found the reception staff quite unfriendly. Dive groups were kept small and their bangkas are big enough that they offer a bit more comfort and room to kit up and relax during travel time. At the end, I think the shop is good for thresher dives but I didn’t feel so enthusiastic about them at the end of my time there. They also offer a lot of packages such as trips to other islands to dive, accommodation and so on – I’d recommend you book only your dives with them and book dives elsewhere as well as your accommodation directly with those service providers – TSD is a busy shop and don’t really have the time or incentive to help you much if you encounter issues with other shops, hotels etc (and if you paid through TSD, you may have a hard time dealing with the other purveyors).

I next headed to Coron where I did five wreck dives with Corto Divers. I can very easily recommend this shop – they are a small operation and really made their guests feel like a part of the family. At the end of the diving day, everyone is welcome to assemble back at the shop to work on your log books and chat with people while they pour out some cold beer for everyone. They also had the best gear I rented of anywhere (just regs and BCD) – it was nice to have an XS BCD that actually fit me and their regs worked like a charm (the ones from TSD in Malapascua were leaky and rattled a lot which I am not fond of), plus they had small soft mouth pieces which I really appreciate since I get a sore jaw a lot of the time. The shop has two Filipino DMs who are very good and really know the wrecks. My DM was very aware of our group (max 3 people to a DM) and constantly looking out for signs of panic in the wrecks, which it seems happens a lot. On both days I was diving in Coron, some diver (not just on our boat but on the other boats diving the same wrecks as us) panicked in the wreck and shot up to the surface. I had been warned that Coron doesn’t have the best record for safety and it is evident when you are there and see a lot of less experienced divers doing penetrations into pitch-black 70 year old wrecks without so much as a line… that being said, our DM didn’t go so much as into a well-lit, open and big compartment, without getting the OK from every diver that they felt comfortable going in. When someone was having a bit of trouble with their mask and weights, he made the call right there and decided no more penetrations on that wreck since he was concerned these problems could lead to panic and problems. The Okikawa and Akitsushima are the clear favourites among the wrecks and I have to agree – however, the Okikawa is the only wreck where we did a totally dark penetration so if you are looking to avoid that on your dive, perhaps don’t do Okikawa or at least ask that your dive group not go into the oil tanks on that one. Topside, Corto had the most comfortable and dive-appropriate Bangka I experienced in the Philippines – she was quiet and a bit slower than some other boats, but the comfort level was worth it. The food was also excellent – each of their two boats has a cook on it and it was some of the best food I had in the Philippines – freshly grilled fish, curried mung beans and other type of savoury meat with veggies… very very good!

I saved the last bit of my diving vacation for the best – Tubbataha. I’m still a fairly newbie diver but I just can’t imagine that it could get much better than this place. This is one healthy reef and the sheer amount of sharks buzzing around really demonstrates that health. What appears to be guaranteed on every dive will be any number of reef sharks (white-tip, black-tip – both reef and regular – silver-tip and grey reef including some real big guys that were likely up to 2.5 metres), lots of turtles (green and hawksbill), tons of beautiful reef fish (big Maori wrasse, bumphead parrot fish etc), pretty big dogtooth tuna, schools of barracuda and all types of Jack… this is the minimum. As I mentioned in a different post, I travelled on the budget liveaboard M/Y Sakura – can’t recommend it – but the diving was outstanding. On the boat, we had 12 divers separated into 2 dive groups on a different tender each. I was lucky to be in the group that spotted most of the big guys (I consider that we saw everything there is to see in Tubbataha except tiger sharks) while the other dive group only saw one whale shark and no mantas or hammerheads.

In 15 dives, we saw at least one whaleshark on about 6 of them, including 2 of our dusk dives (we saw the WS on morning, afternoon and early evening dives so time of day wasn’t really an issue) and spent about 30 minutes total with 2 different ones in our very last (most amazing) dive at Shark Airport when the current got up to about 3 knots and we were just ripping past the most amazing and active marine life ever (I would call that place shark soup because it was just teeming with every reef shark species there). My favourite dives were all on the eastern sides of the North and South atolls though I am sure the action changes with weather, moon cycles etc. We saw 6 hammerheads at about 35 metres on the Delsan Wreck site, which appears to be a common place to find them (according to our DM). We can’t be sure but they appeared to be Great Hammerheads and not scalloped so it was a bit unusual for all six of them to be together – each one of them came one after the other, quite close, to check our group out, and then off they went. But WOW they came close! The other dive group on our boat didn’t manage to see them but had decided not to go so deep – it seems that you have to be willing to go deep to have a decent chance at seeing them. We also managed to see a whaleshark very up-close on our second dusk-dive in Delsan so it was one of the top sites we experienced. Amos Rock also produced a whale shark dive as did Black Rock where we encountered two mantas and a whale shark in a single dive (of course add all of the fish, turtles and reef sharks to all of the dives). Our DMs raved about Ko-Ok on the western side of the South Atoll but we saw practically nothing there in three dives so it was actually my least favourite site. Top-side there is not much to do – go have a visit at the ranger station and chat with the rangers who are very friendly – and bring cash with you as they sell photo books, t-shirts, stickers and rashies (which have whaleshark spots on them so are super cute – if you plan on doing any swimming in the Philippines you need this as I have never encountered so many jellyfish in my life – OUCH). There is also Bird Island which is a refuge for brown boobies and turtles (so you can’t come within 100 metres of it) so it makes top-side a bit more interesting when you are diving the eastern sites off of the North atoll. The washing machine produced a whale shark and lots of reef sharks (though didn’t have the washing machine crazy currents for our dive) and Shark Airport was my absolute favourite dive as we got there during a pretty good current and every marine animal alive was buzzing around the site.

Overall, diving at Tubbataha should be reserved for people that have a bit more experience and can dive up to 40 metres. The profiles can be quite deep and some of the sites can have currents though a good DM with knowledge of the area should be able to choose sites at appropriate times to limit your exposure to crazy currents and bad top-side conditions (which our DM did so there were only 2 dives when there was much of a current to contend with – which of course also produced some of the best animal life). Our boat operator discouraged us from using Nitrox and I can see why – while I get the 5 min NDL buzz on most of my dives, we did end up below 35 m on a number of dives and I would hate to miss hammerheads because they are down past my Nitrox depth limit. Water temps were 28-30 degrees with the eastern side of the North Atoll appearing to be the warmest while we were there. Even in good weather, Tubbataha is known for its wind so keep that in mind when packing as evenings can get a bit cooler and a good hoodie/towel for post-dives may be needed so you can warm up sufficiently. There are a limited amount of moorings at Tubbataha so you are unlikely to have to contend with divers on other boats for your dives (we had one dive where we passed some other divers from the Palau Sport and we all were shocked at their total disrespect for the marine environment, trodding all over the coral and generally appeared to have little buoyancy control/overweighted – I actually tapped one on the shoulder to show him that he was standing on coral – unfortunately their DM didn’t seem to notice or care. This is of course prohibited conduct in Tubbataha). FYI that gloves are prohibited at Tubbataha and the use of drones require a permit ahead of time (but just don’t bring it, it’s annoying and I expect you won’t be able to use it around Bird Island). If you can choose, I’d avoid weeks at the very beginning and end of the season – weather was particularly bad and unusual this year so several boats including Sakura were unable to make the crossing as planned the first week (they eventually got there but lost a day of diving) and I’ve heard of this happening in June as well. I found the crossing to be fine and have encountered far trickier ones – it would have been a walk in the park if we were on a good sturdy boat and not a leaky Bangka – and the way back was incredibly smooth and dry as the wind was at our backs and had us into Puerto Princesa earlier than expected. The crossing can take 12-16 hours depending on weather and if your boat is sea-worthy or not (lol).

Some additional comments on Sakura: Redfish Bluefish has done a pretty good review of her experience on Week 1 so I won’t replicate what she said or what I said in response. I will add that this was the first and only boat (of many) I spent time on where the crew seemed genuinely unhappy. Filipinos working on bangkas work really really hard in tough conditions but up to that point, they nevertheless seemed in good spirits and had a good rapport between them. I only got a smile out of the crew the day we left and I think it was because we were safely back in port and they were glad to get the heck off of that boat for a few days. While the boat is budget, there are a number of things that the owners and crew could do (that cost little to nothing) to do huge improvements to the guest’s overall experience on board. If you plan on going, I recommend you store any bags you don’t need for the trip in their office (as mentioned in the other post, there are no reliably dry spaces on the boat) and keep a small bag with your essentials that you can keep in your cabin (it stayed on my bed with me) – and pack everything (clothes and electronics especially) in plastic bags. The boat has electricity (sometimes) that allows you to charge cameras/phones and run the fans while you are sleeping – until they shut the electricity off, which happened pretty much every night around 4 am. I don’t know what the reason for doing this was but it didn’t seem to be a good one – without the fan, sleeping in the cabins became unbearable and sleeping space top-side was hard to come by when there are 20 people on board mostly sleeping on top of the boat. This could be improved. When we left for our crossing (and also on other occasions when the boat was traveling between moorings), all of the hatches in the cabins had been left open. No one thought to close them or at least advise guests to go and close them – not that it mattered much since the seals on the portholes were not watertight. We ate dinner early into the crossing before things got quite rough and unfortunately no one cleaned up the interior dining quarter – there was food and dirty dishes left out everywhere, making the dry-ish area inside less appealing for those looking for a place to sit out the crossing. The crew tended to go to sleep quite early most days, before the guests, so dirty dishes were often left out on the dinner table and people who wanted a beer after 9 pm were often out of luck. The boat does not have a water-maker so fresh water is very limited. We were limited to very quick rinses using the shower on the back of the boat and were given a tub of water to rinse our cameras and masks after dives though after Day 2, there was only about 10 cm of water left in the container and it was quite gross – the water was not filled back up or replaced for the remaining days. Before our last dive, I asked if they would set out more fresh water so we could give all of our gear and wetsuits a final rinse before setting them up to dry in the passage back to the mainland. They said they would do so but when we got back from our last dive, there was nothing set out on the deck for us. I had to ask three times (initially my request was refused because the other boat was not back yet – not sure why we had to wait for more people to contend with to rinse stuff out in a single container) before we were given a single fresh water container so I had to wait until everyone had rinsed their cameras and regs out before I could give my wetsuit a rinse – not sure why they wouldn’t at least put out two buckets since we were heading back to the mainland and there were a number of still-full fresh water canisters on deck. We had a great last dive and were looking to celebrate with some cold beers on our way back – but no one had put any beers in the fridge or freezer. Just little details like this (cold beers and two fresh water buckets after our last dive – is that a lot to ask?) could have really improved the experience. Instead staff were out of sight, mostly napping, when we got back. In fact, our skiff driver often had to yell out to the crew when we were coming back to the boat post-dive to help him safely park the thing and get divers off of the skiff. I don’t quite understand this mode of working – all I could gather was that crew were perhaps not treated all that great and were unhappy and it showed in their overall attitude throughout the day. Food was ok – a lot of fried food (and would not have been good for vegetarians) – and amounts were barely enough to feed the lot of us – though they occasionally asked if anyone wanted more (not always though). The hungriest guests would simply go and grab some of the free snacks right after a meal to supplement what we had (which fortunately there was plenty – crackers, cookies, noodle cups). Staff usually stayed out of sight and didn’t socialize much with guests – not sure if this is the policy – but I found is rare after spending 2 weeks on different bangkas before that – I always enjoyed hanging out with the Filipino crew members when they weren’t busy and even with language barriers we usually managed to have a laugh or two. During and post dinner it was hard to locate anyone, even if you just wanted to grab a drink (which usually meant going to the back of the boat upstairs to look for someone). In these circumstances, you can only hope your fellow divers are a good lot and you can share in the adventure together. Our group decided to rename the boat to “surviveaboard” as it didn’t quite meet the liveaboard designation for us. To be fair, there were a couple people on board that said they would go on Sakura again – most of us however would not. It is $1300 USD to go with them – it’s only four days of diving though (we got 15 dives in) – but this still means they are literally half the price of the next least expensive boat. If your funds don’t allow better and you are dying to dive Tubbataha (you really should be), then go for it – but hopefully this info will help you prepare for it!
For those of you looking for a place to chill post liveaboard while waiting for a flight later in the day, I can recommend the Princess Garden Resort. They have a “dip and dine” offer for 680 PP that allows you use of their pools (and sand-bar if you want) and a pizza for lunch. It was a lovely place to relax for a few hours before heading out on my afternoon flight– they have several pools, lots of chairs, fast wifi and friendly staff. I might have checked out the sandbar if I had more time. They also have complementary shuttles going to the airport and let me hitch a ride for free with another guest.

Internal transport: I took 4 internal flights in the Philippines, all with PAL. My first 3 flights were on-time or early and booking and check-in was a breeze. I was about to be a pretty big fan until I hit my fourth flight from Puerto Princesa to Manila. This is the part where I recommend you avoid Manila NAIA at all costs whenever possible, especially if it involves an inter-terminal change. Despite improvements over the years, it is still a nightmare. I had 3.5 hours between my domestic and international flight and barely made it. According to PAL, our flight was an hour late coming in due to congestion at NAIA and airtraffic control assigning PAL a late take-off time. They then pushed back our take-off time by a further hour once the plane arrived in Puerto Princesa, which made no sense when we saw an Air Asia flight land just after our late-arriving PAL plan and immediately turn around in 30 minutes and take off immediately for Manila – somehow air traffic control liked AA better than PAL. Communication about the delays was poor and staff in PP refused to even entertain the possibility of rebooking flights for those who were clearly going to miss their connections. I had read beforehand that PAL offered, only to their guests, an air-side shuttle bus that transfers passengers between T3 and T2. What no one said was that the transfer from T3 is to T2 DEPARTURES so you do not stay airside and then have to contend with security line ups again (which are a nightmare) not to mention the traffic once you leave the tarmac. I just don’t understand why they do this but regardless, avoid NAIA at all costs. If you can do your transfers via Cebu, do it. It’s a much simpler airport. Luckily I made my connection but only because PAL had scheduled back-to-back full flights at the same gate (why????) at pretty much the same time so our flight was delayed and then lost its take-off time and air traffic control once again punished us and we sat on the tarmac for an hour. NAIA sucks so hard.

Overall the Philippines appears to be the promise-land for diving, not that this is news to anyone. I fear I may be permanently spoiled now and other than a few expensive liveaboard destinations (Socorro, Cocos, Galapagos), I don’t know that I will be able to top my most recent diving experiences, especially at Tubbataha! Happy to answer questions if you have any and hopefully this will help you plan your next vacay in the islands!

I’m sittting at Legazpi airport reading this - waiting for our flight to Cebu on our way to Malapascua after having spent 5 days in Donsol. Thanks for the in depth report. Always great to hear people’s experiences.

Donsol/Ticao:

I agree with you on the whaleshark interaction. It’s pretty crazy and not quite the ecological gold star trip the briefing video implies. About 10 boats the day we went, so 60-70 snorkellers get dropped into the water in front of one shark and it’s pure chaos and anarchy. I have scratches to remind me of the experience. Amazing seeing these magnificent creatures, but sad that the economic benefit of tourism is outweighing the eco angle. I fear in a few years it will become Olsob 2.0

As far as diving we did 2 days (3 dives per day) but using one of the Donsol shops (Bicol Dive Centre). Yes you spend 2-3 hours of the day gettIng there and back (making them long days), but it was pretty well organised. I actually quite like the bangkas as dive boats. We had 3 divers and one DM on the first day which was pretty luxurious. On the second day we had 8 divers and 3 DMs (on a bigger boat) and it was still fine.

On all the dive boats at home, you’re crammed up with all your gear while travelling and during the surface interval, here, all the gear is out on the foredeck while you’re relaxing in the seats or on top of the cabin under the shade cover.

We’re staying with Evolution and will probably do most of our diving with them, but it sounds like we should do Monad Shoal with TSD at least on one morning.

Wow, what a thorough trip report. Thanks for sharing!

I just arrived in Manila today and will be in the Philippines for 3 weeks. I flew out immediately to Puerto Princesa. I arrived at 11:30 AM at Terminal 1. Do you want to guess how long it took me to get from the gate arriving at Manila to the gate departing for Puerto Princesa in Terminal 3? That would include exiting the plane, customs, terminal bus ride, check in, security, then to the gate. 4 HOURS AND 50 MINUTES.

Unbelievable! I don’t think I ever want to fly into Manila again.

I just arrived in Manila today and will be in the Philippines for 3 weeks. I flew out immediately to Puerto Princesa. I arrived at 11:30 AM at Terminal 1. Do you want to guess how long it took me to get from the gate arriving at Manila to the gate departing for Puerto Princesa in Terminal 3? That would include exiting the plane, customs, terminal bus ride, check in, security, then to the gate. 4 HOURS AND 50 MINUTES.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip and experiences.

T1 should have been demolished years ago! I don't miss that sh$% hole.
If you need domestic transfer then you should pick eg PAL(T2) or others which land at T3.
I would try to avoid same day transfer, domestic and international, if I can help it or have ample of time to spare for the delay!
NAIA has only one runway and given the amount of traffic nowadays, you should count yourself lucky that flight actually depart or land within 30 mins of the schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay
T1 should have been demolished years ago! I don't miss that sh$% hole.
If you need domestic transfer then you should pick eg PAL(T2) or others which land at T3.

I will know for next time...Eva was an excellent balance of price and mileage accrual while offering me travel benefits since I have status. Their hard and soft product in flight had me more excited about flying PAL. In short, I agree with the OP on MNL airport being a cluster. :)

I would try to avoid same day transfer, domestic and international, if I can help it or have ample of time to spare for the delay!

Yeah, we booked a hotel in Manila for both ends of our trip - not explicitly to avoid the same day transfer, but it saved a bunch of stress. Also, we may have a paid a “facilitation fee” to jump the security and check in lines at T3 when we were getting our first domestic flight out of Manila.

Back
Top Bottom