Philippines: world's leading dive destination (?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well since Mexico alone has more messages than the whole of Asia it means it's better diving... Duh.
It is just because Scubaboard is an American forum, and nearly 99% of American divers will first go to dive to Mexico and/or Carribbean before flying to Asia.
We should compare what can be compared.

It is just because Scubaboard is an American forum, and nearly 99% of American divers will first go to dive to Mexico and/or Carribbean before flying to Asia.
We should compare what can be compared.
And so? Didn't it come to your mind the Phils were more easily accessed than Indonesia from the US, that there were more US expats in the Phils than in Indo, that Phils were an easier country to travel for english only speakers, that there were more cultural bounds between US and Phils than Indonesia (does Clark air base ring a bell, haven't you noticed english is taught at school in the Phils while only few indos speak english?)?
Put that into a dutch board and Indonesia will come first. No surprize.
There's nothing about diving quality here. So pls compare what is comparable and don't try to find whimsical correlations.

The government of the Philippines scares me from going back at this point in my life. The diving was awesome but traveling through Manilla was too dicey. It made Mexico City feel almost homey. Even though I broke a leg there, Fiji was far, far more welcoming to foreigners as are most Caribbean destinations.
Even though I wouldn't state Phils have "the best diving in the world", I consider they're much more welcoming than many destinations especially Caribbeans (say Manila apart, but who'd like to spend time in Manila?), that's probably why I am returning (add the low cost of everything) rather than for the quality of diving itself (Indonesia has everything the Phils have and much more, since they're the ACTUAL center of biodiversity with regards to fish species count, No marketing here, just UW biology facts.)
Have you tried going to the Visayas? Island hopping is smoother here.

It is just because Scubaboard is an American forum,
Half of all our traffic comes from the USA. While it's easy to put us in a hole, we're a pretty diverse group. Unfortunately, not enough dive shops or countries are willing to spend advertising dollars with us, so they'll never attract the Americans that are on here.

I have not. Where do you fly into internationally to get there?

I have not. Where do you fly into internationally to get there?
Cebu city CEB airport.
Then with some additional transfer (land or sea) you'll have access to such dive spots as Moalboal, Bohol, Cabilao, Malapascua, South Leyte, Dauin etc.

Pssst... Don't believe it... It's really awful...
... ... either that, or I really liked my only visit there so far and not mind at a if they weren't overrun with high $ paying divers... until I can't afford the place. Anyway, selfish thoughts aside, I liked the diving and the cost side, but I definitely also am not anywhere near far traveled enough to compare...

And so? Didn't it come to your mind the Phils were more easily accessed than Indonesia from the US, that there were more US expats in the Phils than in Indo, that Phils were an easier country to travel for english only speakers, that there were more cultural bounds between US and Phils than Indonesia (does Clark air base ring a bell, haven't you noticed english is taught at school in the Phils while only few indos speak english?)?
Put that into a dutch board and Indonesia will come first. No surprize.
There's nothing about diving quality here. So pls compare what is comparable and don't try to find whimsical correlations.
You such a funny guy, @Luko.
Okay okay, if you say so, again.

the Phils were more easily accessed than Indonesia from the US, that there were more US expats in the Phils than in Indo, that Phils were an easier country to travel for english only speakers, that there were more cultural bounds between US and Phils than Indonesia (does Clark air base ring a bell, haven't you noticed english is taught at school in the Phils while only few indos speak english?)?

I think a worthwhile tangent to ask...from the perspective of English-only speakers traveling to dive Raja Ampat (live-aboard I presume) or Komodo (live-aboard or land-based options), not just 'on the boat' but in terms of making one's way through airports, an over-night hotel if you get there a couple days early, etc...how 'easy' (or difficult) is our newbie American dive tourist likely to find it to communicate?

No plans soon, but one of those is on my hope-to-be-blessed-with bucket list. I've noticed the Philippines are closer, but I'd heard those 2 and Papua New Guinea were in the 'best coral reef diving in the world' category, and I hoped to hit one of the 3 before I kick off one of these days. So would be good to know. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom