photo editing for the DC2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally if a file format is not supported you should get an error message. Elements will do that. Any mainstream application should do that also. btw Elements will let you edit jpg somewhat in the RAW editor and let you adjust white balance (as much as it can using File, Open As..). I have the local version (perpetual) that comes with Premiere for video editing though I don't use it but it's older. It appears Elements still offers pertual licenses but if that is what you want, make sure it says so. The pices seems to reflect perpetual licenses (for example $79.99 versus a smaller monthly fee).
If Sealife truly uses Adobe DNG as they say then Elements should have no issues opening and providing full functionality.

If you just do a little touchup like I usually do, picassa often is great. If I need more then I go to photoshp.

Personally, I really like Lightroom. I have an older version that does not support my new Sony camera, so I have the additional step of converting to DNG and then importing to Lightroom, but once that is done, it is "business as usual".

The single best piece of advice given here though is that no matter what you ultimately choose as your photo editing software, shoot your images as RAW. RAW gives you far more options than JPEG (such as white balance for example) and even if you don't use them on a regular basis, it is nice to have them available when you do want them.

I REALLY hate the subscription based licenses Adobe does now
Amen to that. I'll probably be on Adobe CS6.5 forever. Subscription based licensing and "cloud" stuff are not my cup of tea.

Amen to that. I'll probably be on Adobe CS6.5 forever. Subscription based licensing and "cloud" stuff are not my cup of tea.

And Elements is the only one Adobe product that doesn't require a subscription, correct? I've watched some videos on it and the interface just looks so clunky...lol.

Adobe Photoshop Elements I have seen on Adobe's website for $79.99. Can't be subscription price.

Main licensing list with links
Compare licensing programs | Adobe Buying Programs

Transactional Licensing Program (TLP) shows Elements (or Elements with Premiere) in the CLP/TLP section. These are both perpetual but CLP is 2 year which I wouldn't want.

Give them a call at the number at the bottom of the link above if unsure.

For some alternatives, have a look at this site Can you buy Adobe software without a subscription?. There are some alternatives mentioned but I have no experience with the applications and cannot vouch for authenticity. You will want something with RAW editing and some may not have it.

Elements has more than RAW editing. Layers (which I only use for copyright symbols but can do much more), effects, editing for things other than light, straightening (useful), and lot's of others. There is a learning curve and it's good to know what features you want and as important, which ones you don't. Many areas in Elements I don't use. I also don't use the file mgmt/cataloging. I use old fashioned OS operating system and my own folders. Tagging would be useful to eliminate manual filtering by filename or date.

Adobe Photoshop Elements I have seen on Adobe's website for $79.99. Can't be subscription price.

Main licensing list with links
Compare licensing programs | Adobe Buying Programs

Transactional Licensing Program (TLP) shows Elements (or Elements with Premiere) in the CLP/TLP section. These are both perpetual but CLP is 2 year which I wouldn't want.

Give them a call at the number at the bottom of the link above if unsure.

For some alternatives, have a look at this site Can you buy Adobe software without a subscription?. There are some alternatives mentioned but I have no experience with the applications and cannot vouch for authenticity. You will want something with RAW editing and some may not have it.

Elements has more than RAW editing. Layers (which I only use for copyright symbols but can do much more), effects, editing for things other than light, straightening (useful), and lot's of others. There is a learning curve and it's good to know what features you want and as important, which ones you don't. Many areas in Elements I don't use. I also don't use the file mgmt/cataloging. I use old fashioned OS operating system and my own folders. Tagging would be useful to eliminate manual filtering by filename or date.

I wouldn't use most of the features either. I usually just adjust lighting, white balance/color/contrast, and a little backscatter removal when needed. Like you, I also only use layers for watermarks. IMO, using layers for more than that (multiple exposure images, etc) is kinda cheating and goes beyond "photography" into computer imaging...lol. It looks like Lightroom 6 does sell a perpetual license (Amazon, etc), but I'll have to look into whether it's worth paying nearly twice as much as Elements for. They do a 1 month free trial, though, so I'll probably give it/them a whirl for my Bonaire trip in May. Is it possible to do a trial on two Adobe products at once, or will I need to get creative with my email address registration?

Don't know about the trials. I would think that adobe would let you as they want you to try then buy as many as possible.

The adobe cloud based trials can be had here: Adobe Creative Cloud desktop apps | Adobe Creative Cloud

I'm guessing 30 days, I'm sure it will tell you once you pick one. The full suite of cloud stuff - if you're so inclined is $10/month.

Other than my dislike of cloud it's not THAT bad of a deal, especially if they'd let you pay for a year at a time. I am pretty sure I spent enough on cs6 to pay for a good 5 years or so of cloud.

The adobe cloud based trials can be had here: Adobe Creative Cloud desktop apps | Adobe Creative Cloud

I'm guessing 30 days, I'm sure it will tell you once you pick one. The full suite of cloud stuff - if you're so inclined is $10/month.

Other than my dislike of cloud it's not THAT bad of a deal, especially if they'd let you pay for a year at a time. I am pretty sure I spent enough on cs6 to pay for a good 5 years or so of cloud.

I usually take 2-3 vacations a year. I just can't justify paying $120/year for something I use that seldom. That basically means I'm paying $40-$60 per use. No thanks. If I pay that much for a program, I had better damn well not be renting it, which is essentially what you're doing for $10 a month, every month, whether you even open the program or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom