Photo kind etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me it's those folks with the GoPro that have to the follow the turtle, eel, shark, etc that really get my goat. To the point of harassment. Yes..dive groups and how they are assembled will depend on everyone's respect for each other. I think I need to find a way to approach this in future dive boats where we don't know each other. And agreed...if I find first...let me have my time. I love sharing my finds especially with new divers...and actually love finding something unique to show to my seasoned friends. That is how I like to dive.

For #1 I meant a guided dive as a group, regardless of who spots a subject. Share.

#2 big ocean, find your own stuff and don't begrudge others.

... That is how I like to dive.
I agree with you 100% !
You capture photos and we capture lobsters. I can be infront of a small rock in the middle of 'no where' and a new diver will bomb in and try to get the 2nd lobster that is just inches from my lobster. Since we use small plastic loopers or thin aluminum 'tickle' sticks, I'll usually just tickle the top of the other divers head which will get them to notice me and my polite wave or 1 finger salute. We can then have a discussion about courtesy topside and that usually gets results. Most offending divers don't even realize what they are doing and need a gentle reminder so don't be afraid to reach out and give one. Of course if it happens to you a second time on your photo, you could always grab a handful of sand and release it above & infront of them too ! :)

People are funny. I remember diving with one fellow from Russia who was the nicest guy on the boat. But underwater he would physically climb over you to get a shot. Every dive there were multiple instances of him shoving some other diver out of the way to get his photo. People on the boat didn't seem to know how to deal with it.

For #1 I meant a guided dive as a group, regardless of who spots a subject. Share.

#2 big ocean, find your own stuff and don't begrudge others.

How would I know if I'm on a #1 boat or a #2 boat? By the presence of a guide in the water? Often, there is a guide, but divers aren't required to follow the guide, though many do because the guide is good at spotting things. My wife and I usually do our own thing, but if we see others gathering to look at something, we will make our way over, too, on the assumption we will have a turn.

How would I know if I'm on a #1 boat or a #2 boat? By the presence of a guide in the water? Often, there is a guide, but divers aren't required to follow the guide, though many do because the guide is good at spotting things. My wife and I usually do our own thing, but if we see others gathering to look at something, we will make our way over, too, on the assumption we will have a turn.

If in doubt raise the topic and emphasize that you are either diving on your own or plan to stick with the group. Some operators may be very explicit about the need to stay to together and share critter encounters. If you don't like that plan then speak up or pick a different operator

If the dive plan requires that all divers stay together and descend and surface as a group, then don't act like a free agent with your camera.

If in doubt raise the topic and emphasize that you are either diving on your own or plan to stick with the group. Some operators may be very explicit about the need to stay to together and share critter encounters. . . .

I have never heard the sharing of critter encounters discussed in a briefing, even on a boat where divers are free to surface whenever they are ready, but in view of the perspective you raised about a photographer being in their right to plant themselves on a find indefinitely, I would be pleased if DMs did discuss it. It could be that the issue is more often raised on trips marketed as photo-centric, with which I am not familiar. I regret I would be reluctant to raise the issue myself during the initial briefing for fear of ruffling feathers. I'd rather miss seeing something than get off on the wrong foot with people I will be spending the next week with.

More generally, it would be great if DMs discussed etiquette in general as part of the initial briefing. Things as simple as "don't disturb the marine life" is a good start. I'm pretty sure I have heard things along those lines, but even then, I think DMs are reluctant to get into etiquette too much for fear of ruffling feathers.

general international consensus regarding photography of marinelife:

1) If A DM points out a critter everyone is free to take their turn to photograph and then gently move out of the way ( pref backfinning) 5-6 snaps or 15-20 secs each
2) if you find your own critter you are under no obligation to show anyone else and you may spend as long on that critter as you like. if you choose to share, reference protocol in rule 1 above :)
3) do not get offended if someone doesn't want to see your critter, don't bang tanks or quack quackers and gesticulate wildly, others may not be as interested as they have seen said critter lots of times, please don't be offended.
4) people who chase the wildlife for photos/try to position selfies with turtles/touch anything, are not photographers, they are 'divers with cameras'. everything swims faster than you and noone celebrates a picture of fishbutt.
5) if you are feeling that there are too many divers around, just turn 180 degrees, odds are there will always be another shark/turtle/whaleshark at some point in your life...

Ugh....I have come across this before.........Except it was an entire boat of people doing this in Thailand. Right, @WetPup? :wink: Unfortunately, the diver(s) wasn't/weren't from our boat, but had they been, I would have spoken up to the guide/cruise director/boat staff and conveyed my concerns. Not only is it not great for the wildlife, but it is really rude for the other guests to not be able to get an opportunity to observe, spend time with, or photograph it for themselves. I am not an antagonistic person by nature, but I know that if I tried to talk to the person directly, I might end up in a situation that is less than desirable because of how upset I might become speaking about it, or how upset they might become, and a quarrel might ensue.

I am hoping that in your case, that it was a lack of self awareness, and maybe they got excited and don't realize it, but I also know that in many cases, that is not the case and they are just selfish or rude.

I :sideeye: every diver in a pink wing now. I am antagonistic by nature though.

For me...if I'm there first...it's mine. Don't jump into the photo with your stinking GoPro just so you have a video of you diving with a shark.

Back
Top Bottom