Photo tips for Blackwater Drift Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I'm taking my first blackwater dive w/ a camera, (Jupiter, Fl area).

I was just wondering since it's a totally different style of dive, anyone have any general tips out there? Probably bringing a DSLR w the 10-17 fisheye and a 60mm macro. I'm going to guess the 60mm is the way to go?

Anyway, just wondering if folks who have done it before have any "wish-I-knew-this-before" tips.

(here's the dive I'm hoping to do: http://www.puravidadivers.com/black-water-drift-dives)

If your plan is to shoot little floaty things (as opposed to large swimmy things) then the 60 is a good choice. I think you should have a focus light, possibly red. To avoid backscatter, then you'll want your strobes pointing way "out" so you're subject it really only being picked up by the inner portions of each strobe.

To maximise your DoF, you'll want a small aperture, so I suggest a high ISO. Not knowing what camera you're using, I would think ISO 3000 or something, which should allow for a reasonably small aperture, and so larger DoF.

I suspect you will want your strobes set to pretty low power, although if you want the highesr possible f-stop, that may not be possible.

And last, dial back your display on your camera. Using it in the dark it will look really bright. If you can use histograms too judge your exposure.

And post your results!

If your plan is to shoot little floaty things (as opposed to large swimmy things) then the 60 is a good choice. I think you should have a focus light, possibly red. To avoid backscatter, then you'll want your strobes pointing way "out" so you're subject it really only being picked up by the inner portions of each strobe.

To maximise your DoF, you'll want a small aperture, so I suggest a high ISO. Not knowing what camera you're using, I would think ISO 3000 or something, which should allow for a reasonably small aperture, and so larger DoF.

I suspect you will want your strobes set to pretty low power, although if you want the highesr possible f-stop, that may not be possible.

And last, dial back your display on your camera. Using it in the dark it will look really bright. If you can use histograms too judge your exposure.

And post your results!
Thanks! I'll do what I can....

would love to see your results...

I don't know how she does it either.
Spent last weekend at Santa Cruz (Miguel was a no-go) with some good results of pike blennies
Cheers
BVA

Just even night dives at Blue Heron where stuff is relatively still, is extremely difficult. On my 2 attempts (both hr long dives) I think I got 1 or 2 keeper photos.
Just for me,,,,maintaining a consistent distance to subject was half the battle of finding the right settings. It's not easy and I admire those that post the incredible shots.

My approach is to use only manual focus. Set the focus at say 6 inches from the port and don't wait for autofocus to kick in.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom