Photographers Using Doughnut BP/W BCD (dump valve location)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gummybun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking to move from a Jacket style BCD to a wing style and have been looking at the simple travel friendly (OMS IQ lite or similar) systems incorporating single tank doughnut style bladders. For some reason though they all rear dump Left Side.

When holding your Camera rig (tray mounted assembly) in your left hand it rather precludes bladders with rear dumps on the left side. Some advanced bladders have dual rear dumps but they are more that I need. Are there any right rear dump options out there that I have overlooked?

I haven't had to use my rear dump while using my camera except in exceptionally rare situations - normally I sort out my buoyancy (i.e. usually totally empty the wing) at the start of the dive before I need to worry about camera use.
If I do need to use both simultaneously I either use my right hand to reach the left rear dump or I hold the camera in the right hand temporarily. It has only happened maybe two or three times? Once when I wanted to drop very quickly to get a photo of a subject moving below me, and once or twice when photographing and dealing with current trying to blow me up higher.

I hold my camera with my right hand and pull the dump valve. When I'm ascending to the surface I've got the rig clipped away on my harness so no issues for me then either.
Is your rig so cumbersome that you can't hold it with your right hand or switch hands?

Gummybun, I understand your situation completely. I have had the same feeling as I have considered the same switch.
Changing to the other hand may indeed not be a big issue. But for the paying customer, it would be nice to have equipment that fits how we dive already rather than adjusting to the equipment.
It seems likely that most divers learn with a BCD then some choose to move to a BPW. One might think it reasonable to fit the habits of the new customer rather than make them change how they dump air.

I actually made my wing (donut type) and put the kidney dump on the right hand side.... I don't necessarily suggest building from scratch like I did, but it isn't hard to add a flange and opv to a wing. Granted, my experience is limited to old Zeagle wings and my own creations.
My advice is always worth what you payed for it!
Respectfully
James

Gummybun, I understand your situation completely. I have had the same feeling as I have considered the same switch.
Changing to the other hand may indeed not be a big issue. But for the paying customer, it would be nice to have equipment that fits how we dive already rather than adjusting to the equipment.
It seems likely that most divers learn with a BCD then some choose to move to a BPW. One might think it reasonable to fit the habits of the new customer rather than make them change how they dump air.

That's one way of looking at it.

Another way of looking at it is if this minor issue is a point of concern, then perhaps it's better not to task load with underwater photography just yet.

Also, it would be pretty unusual to be taking photos while ascending, which is the main time that the dump valve is being used. During ascent, the camera is better off being clipped off so you have your hands free.

The OPV is the left side for the same reason the light is if you're using one. The right hand needs to be available to donate a reg to an OOG diver or to control a scooter.

OP, the left dump is part of the wing/BP protocol. It is standardization. There are no right dump wings to my knowledge. It is part of what differentiates a wing/BP from a BC jacket. There is one place to put air in and one rear dump on the left as the primary means of venting air out. Lot's of UW photogs dive a wing/BP and manage and you can too. It will be part of the transition to a wing from a jacket that you will no longer have a multitude of dump pull dongles to choose from. There is just the one, and it is on the left rear/bottom. That is where it is. Your right hand is primary to air supply and manipulation and donation to an OOA diver. The left hand is for buoyancy control, adding or venting, and SPG. The camera will just have to share appendages. I always have my camera tethered to my scooter ring and have two double enders to snap the camera handles to my chest strap D rings for hands free. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom