Photos from our second annual underwater clean up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The day started out with thunderstorms that threatened our second annual underwater cleanup. My phone had taken on a constant buzz yesterday morning, as so many folks were asking if we were going for a later start, if we were going to cancel, or perhaps postpone the event. If only everyone was on Facebook and followed my page, it would be so much easier to organize and answer the constant barrage of questions. It doesn't help that the keys on my phone are so small that it takes me a little too much time to answer everyone individually.
Regardless, the queries kept coming even as the sky started to clear. The front was a narrow but powerful band that quickly swept through the region. Dark sky and loud boomers certainly made me worry that I'd have to postpone until next weekend.
David Lowrey, his beautiful fiance Lesley, and another couple were just a few of the many divers who had traveled for hours just to be a part of this wonderful event. I feared we'd lose their help and the weather would doom to their vacation here in the northwoods. Two other new friends had traveled from two states away just to partake in what could only be described as a dark and dirty dive that would yield nothing more than muck on your suit, a handful of garbage and terrible visibility as you tried to bring your newfound treasure to a more deserving home: the Marquette county landfill :rofl3:
OK, enough fluff. Sorry to keep you waiting. The skies cleared, and all sorts of folks descended on the scene unwaivered by the forecast of continued scattered thunderstorms. We could get out of the boat quickly enough if the storm kicked back up, couldn't we? We've got those tents over there that we could hunker under,right? COVID-19 would give us a pass this day because, well, we're fighting the good fight and we need clean water. Right?
Well, the radar did show a band of appearing disappearing green blotches that suggested our shore support would probably become as wet as their Scuba Diving counterparts. Lets push on.
And push on we did. I'm confident that we ended up removing more trash and even more tires than last year. I wish I had called the Guiness Book of Records in advance enough for them to send down a representative because I'm certain we smashed any records they may have on the books. Just look at these photos from yesterday.
Sorry for the delay, everyone. I slept in.

Note, I didn't realize I'm limited to ten images so I'll do my best to create a video this week and post that.

Attachments

• Don on pile o tires.jpg
    Don on pile o tires.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Looking inside large dumpster of tires.jpg
    Looking inside large dumpster of tires.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 10 speed.jpg
    10 speed.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 144
  • Even the kitchen sink.jpg
    Even the kitchen sink.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Every Year we find discarded batteries in the lake.jpg
    Every Year we find discarded batteries in the lake.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Hunter Dagenais.jpg
    Hunter Dagenais.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 126
  • Large tractor tire being removed.jpg
    Large tractor tire being removed.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Officers Aldrich, Officer Takala and Diver Don.jpg
    Officers Aldrich, Officer Takala and Diver Don.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Plenty of food for the volunteers.jpg
    Plenty of food for the volunteers.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Volumteers unloading tires from one of many skiffs brough to shore.jpg
    Volumteers unloading tires from one of many skiffs brough to shore.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 128
@Diverdon

Interesting how nature can play its part in success or failure !
This time it created a huge success !

By the way Im a Kalifornian -- What is RAIN ?
Recall the song "It never rains in southern California ?
well it doesn't !

Cheers
Sam Miller, 111

That's a shame, Sam. You are officially invited to come and enjoy a nice Mid-west soaker. Bring your thermal protection, there's still trash in the lake.

We've already begun planning a third annual cleanup, however we have hit a snag. The Marquette City Fire Department posted on their FB page that they will no longer be offering Scuba cylinder fills to the public.

This is more a disaster than inconvenience. I'm not sure if it's Covid-19 driven, or if it was simply too much traffic for them to handle, of perhaps someone got out of line and didn't get their tank back quick enough. I can't say with certainty as my inquiries were not answered fully.

I understand they have many other duties to attend to so it was very nice of them to help us out. I linked their post to my FB page and insisted folks keep their comments civil.

The next closest city where one can get fills is Munising which is about 45 minutes away and I don't know how well they could keep up if there was a large demand. More to follow...

DD

I live on a lovely California hill - 500 feet above sea level-
anything in Florida over six feet tall in Florida is considered a mountain
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now back to the Clean Up

@Diverdon
That young boy could become a poster child
"You're never to young to participate"
"There's a job for every one -young and old"
" He's doing his part -- are you ?"
etc etc

Keep up the great work

Sam Miller, 111

I live on a lovely California hill - 500 feet above sea level-
anything in Florida over six feet tall in Florida is considered a mountain
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now back to the Clean Up

@Diverdon
That young boy could become a poster child
"You're never to young to participate"
"There's a job for every one -young and old"
" He's doing his part -- are you ?"
etc etc

Keep up the great work

Sam Miller, 111

I'm going to ask the boy's mother to see if she'd mind that. Great idea.

I too live on a hill overlooking Lake Superior which is slightly more than 600' above sea level. I love Michigan and most of all Lake Superior. I bet you can tell.

Speaking of clean up, more publicity. I bet if I do this enough it'll become easier.

Diver Don reports a successful 2nd annual Marquette Lower Harbor Underwater Cleanup | WJMN - UPMatters.com

@Diverdon

I admire your single handed efforts to clean up the harbor
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BRAVO ! Great job ! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You recognized a need - met it head on ...

Now the second annual clean up is history
The third only 11 months away

You are a credit to recreational diving and your community !

Sam Miller, 111

@Diverdon

I admire your single handed efforts to clean up the harbor
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BRAVO ! Great job ! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You recognized a need - met it head on ...

Now the second annual clean up is history
The third only 11 months away

You are a credit to recreational diving and your community !

Sam Miller, 111

This is a bit of a puff piece but I feel the more exposure the better.

The UPside - July 27, 2020

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom