physical test of divemaster padi, explained in details.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A word of advice from a real world perspective. AS a DM in many places being able to easily free dive to free an anchor, or recover an X is something that is not even supposed to be a slight issue.

Figure out what your issue is with equalization before you gte much further. Usually in free diving is it using the hands to swim and getting behind on the equalization, instead of leaving the surface with a properly performed tuck dive.

Not to scold but free diving is an OW class skill, supposed to be mastered in the OW course. Granted most instructors can't freedive so of course they cannot teach it the their OW divers either, but freediving matters. Swimming without Mask Fin Snorkel is a hangover from the LA County Lifeguards being the first scuba training agency. But Freediving matters.

I will work on this. Watched a few videos and read some articles. Evidently, I am heading down way too fast and just going for the gusto and not paying enough attention to equalizing. I go down fast because my lung capacity is not what it needs to be at. Doesn't help I focus on whats upcoming instead of tucking my chin under either. Lots of good tips I have found.

Now, off to find a place to practice in South Houston with visibility over a foot :D

As for my contacts, I will look into getting a mask with lenses in them if I decide to go the DM route. My dad has them and loves it, still diving at 67 too.

Equalising is easier when vertical head-up. If you struggle try temporarily angling your body up to clear. You could also try "continuous" cleaning as you go down (ie, lightly keeping the pressure on). Going down fast will use more energy than slow and controlled so chances are thats not helping either. With the right technique you can use your body weight and momentum to get down a good few meters without having to expend any energy swimming.

I wouldn't overly worry about it. Skin diving is generally a tiny or non-existent part of DM duties. It's also something you shouldn't really be doing close to or just after diving for safety reasons. The OW skills you might need to demo are a basically a snorkel clear (6" is enough to flood it!) and a duck dive (just too deep to stand, no depth needed). The "skills" generally take up 2 mins of an OW course at most. I've never met anyone yet that's taught or done a skin diver course either.

I've never yet come across a DM they'd send in to freedive for an anchor (and for safety reasons thats never a good idea anyway) in any of the countries or dive centres i've worked in. Anchor moving or recovery on SCUBA yes, freediving no.

I will work on this. Watched a few videos and read some articles. Evidently, I am heading down way too fast and just going for the gusto and not paying enough attention to equalizing. I go down fast because my lung capacity is not what it needs to be at. Doesn't help I focus on whats upcoming instead of tucking my chin under either. Lots of good tips I have found.

Now, off to find a place to practice in South Houston with visibility over a foot :D

As for my contacts, I will look into getting a mask with lenses in them if I decide to go the DM route. My dad has them and loves it, still diving at 67 too.

A Swimming Pool is the best place to practice freediving. Especially if you do go the ocean make sure you are weighted properly before you try to free dive. If you actually have to expend effort to descend, you problem is you are not carrying enough weight.

Simply lifting your legs out of the water and letting their weight drive you down is how you leave the surface, if you are properly weighted.

I can teach Japanese with the lung capacity of whoopie cushions to free dive. That should give you a handle of how no effort it should be. There is a reason why expperienced freedivers can spend minutes underwater, and it starts with no/minimal effort.

As far as contacts versus a prescription mask, here's a real world situation to think about. If you are at the surface without a mask (because things can happen), and it is a strong prescription mask, then you are basically helpless.* As a diver, whether you have to rely on others is one thing. As a DM, others are relaying on you

*One thing people who do use prescriptionn masks can do is wear raquetball prescription goggles around your neck. They can stay there during the dive, and they are always there to throw on on the surface.

Not wanting to wear goggles around my neck, I just wore contacts and never had any issues including times when I lost my mask underwater. My contacts stay on even when swimming with the eyes open, the few times I has to do that.

A Swimming Pool is the best place to practice freediving. Especially if you do go the ocean make sure you are weighted properly before you try to free dive. If you actually have to expend effort to descend, you problem is you are not carrying enough weight.

Simply lifting your legs out of the water and letting their weight drive you down is how you leave the surface, if you are properly weighted.

I can teach Japanese with the lung capacity of whoopie cushions to free dive. That should give you a handle of how no effort it should be. There is a reason why expperienced freedivers can spend minutes underwater, and it starts with no/minimal effort.

As far as contacts versus a prescription mask, here's a real world situation to think about. If you are at the surface without a mask (because things can happen), and it is a strong prescription mask, then you are basically helpless.* As a diver, whether you have to rely on others is one thing. As a DM, others are relaying on you

*One thing people who do use prescriptionn masks can do is wear raquetball prescription goggles around your neck. They can stay there during the dive, and they are always there to throw on on the surface.

Not wanting to wear goggles around my neck, I just wore contacts and never had any issues including times when I lost my mask underwater. My contacts stay on even when swimming with the eyes open, the few times I has to do that.

I just think I am over-worrying for nothing here. I feel 100% confident in the water. Freediving may or may not be an important for a DM due to various safety reasons but I still want to master it. I do have to snorkel a lot because the wife won't dive.

I absolutely expend too much energy going down, never used a weight belt for it. I can lay flat in the water with nothing but swim trunks on and float all day, may have hollow bones like a bird :D

(Bolding added by myself.)

Hmmm, there's something about this post that seems a little off. Can't quite put my finger on it...

:)

Bill

Actually, the part that "seems a bit off" to me is that the last time someone participated in this thread was about THREE YEARS AGO.

Yeesh.

Actually, the part that "seems a bit off" to me is that the last time someone participated in this thread was about THREE YEARS AGO.

Yeesh.

And so your assertion is that no one can glean any info from this thread nor should they be allowed to comment or draw a chuckle out? Good thing you're not making the rules.

Sheesh.

I've had 5 surgeries on my right shoulder and 1 on the left. While I only got 1 point on the 400 swim I did well enough on the other skills to pass. These skills are, in my opinion, more about mental toughness and attitude than physical skill or strength. When will you ever exchange gear underwater while buddy breathing after this course? When will an active DM ever need to swim 800 yds? The tired diver tow was the one skill in which I saw future value. Don't stress, do your best and you will most likely pass with flying colors. It's not as difficult as you are imagining.
RichH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom