Pick apart my rescue: air-share ascent from 110'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice work and good for him that his buddy (you) knew what you were doing. Two things jump out at me. First, great job on your part. You probably saved someone's life. Secondly, what was this diver doing at 120 foot range? In my humble opinion no diver who is just certified should be going to these depths. An OW / AOW cert card means nothing other than you now have the right to start to learn how to dive. I think too many people get a false sense of security. I say get diving first, have these things happen to you at 40-50 feet. You will know right away if you can deal with them or not. Then learn and keep learning. Apologize if I missed it but what size tanks were you guys on? I dive a modified Long hose (5 feet) just for this purpose. Much easier to donate (primary) than a regular Octo type setup.

Last edited:
Nice work and good for him that his buddy (you) knew what you were doing. Two things jump out at me. First, great job on your part. You probably saved someone's life. Secondly, what was this diver doing at 120 foot range? In my humble opinion no diver who is just certified should be going to these depths. An OW / AOW cert card means nothing other than you now have the right to start to learn how to dive. I think too many people get a false sense of security. I say get diving first, have these things happen to you at 40-50 feet. You will know right away if you can deal with them or not. Then learn and keep learning. Apologize if I missed it but what size tanks were you guys on? I dive a modified Long hose (5 feet) just for this purpose. Much easier to donate (primary) than a regular Octo type setup.

I suggest you read the thread I started, linked to in the first post of this thread, that specifically addresses the issues of newer divers overextending themselves. This thread is just for analysis of this specific incident.

My understanding from reading this post is that he took OW, did 25 dives, then took AOW. Personally, I'd say 120 feet is a reasonable place for him to be. My understanding is that he has some future plans that are questionable sans additional training.

Apologize if I missed it but what size tanks were you guys on? I dive a modified Long hose (5 feet) just for this purpose. Much easier to donate (primary) than a regular Octo type setup.

I had a steel HP80. He also had a steel tank, but I can't immediately recall if it was an 80 or a 100.

I'm considering adding a long hose to my singles regs (I just started sidemount recently and have a long hose on that set.)

My understanding from reading this post is that he took OW, did 25 dives, then took AOW. Personally, I'd say 120 feet is a reasonable place for him to be. My understanding is that he has some future plans that are questionable sans additional training.

My understanding is that he has 25 dives total, inclusive of his AOW coursework.

Just another post to thank @dewdropsonrosa for sharing and opening ones self up to scrutiny. This isn’t always the easiest place to bare all.

I also think that you did very well. In the heat of battle, at depth, I’ll give you an A+. If one of my loved ones had ended up on your octo, I’d do the beer for life thing others suggested.

He did SDI Advanced which is 4 specialties and 25 dives needed to get Advanced cert. He was counting down to those 25 dives on FB.

I'm considering adding a long hose to my singles regs (I just started sidemount recently and have a long hose on that set.)
Good that you're thinking your rig.

I'm not one to push Long hose, indeed for Open water I'm not a fan - and thing a 6 or 7' hose is excessive.

That said only my OW teaching rig is set in the conventional way. My Normal diving rig is set with 2 x 40" hoses. The Alt second comes under the left arm. Both regs have 90 degree swivels. This set up works for my diving that I can donate either, and there is no hose crossing issues if you need to dive side by side.

My Sm Rig is conventional with 1 x7' hose but the short hose might get changed for another 7' instead.

My point being is that I don't believe that there is a one size fits all ( although I respect others choices). I configure my rigs to the type of diving I do. So a big current (my normal diving) a 7' is too long but 36 too short for instance.

So for sure have a think how your rig might benefit any changes, but only change to something your happy using

I like how you very likely saved a life. Little to critique about that. Thank you.

Sounds exactly what a buddy should be. If ever I find myself unable to respond correctly to a situation I would be happy to have you do my thinking for me.

My regards,
Cameron

My point being is that I don't believe that there is a one size fits all ( although I respect others choices). I configure my rigs to the type of diving I do. So a big current (my normal diving) a 7' is too long but 36 too short for instance.

I also respect other's choices, that's why we are here talking about it. T

Tell me what happens to you with a 7' hose that makes you feel that it is too long. Personally, when I'm wearing mine I have no awareness of the length of the hose. I use standard routing, down the right side, around whatever is on my right hip (clipped off reel, or can light if I'm using that), then up and around the back of my neck. The only time that I would be aware of the length of the hose would be if I deployed it for a rescue, and then it's nice to have some flexibility with respect to length.

Reactions: Zef
I also respect other's choices, that's why we are here talking about it. T

Tell me what happens to you with a 7' hose that makes you feel that it is so long.

It's not the wearing of the hose, yes it can be unwieldy if people need to de-kit in the water or with the long hose on a boat, but these are minor inconveniences that with a little thought are easily over come.

My feelings for OW are derived as thus: Sorry for the long post.

As you know for a OOA/OOG in a non overhead the you're simply donating the gas and making a controlled direct ascent to the surface. In Open water you'll need to generally take control of the OOG diver and manage the ascent.

In this regard either ascending up an anchor or shot line I see no need for 7' hose. Similarly with an ascent in the blue with a dSMB. That said I find the standard hose configuration too short.

As I've mentioned before, my main rig, is set up with 2 x 40" hoses, with both regs having a 90 degree swivel, and my Alt second coming under my left arm (a peculiar British way) and secured on a silicon bungee.

This I believe gives the best overall solution of hose lengths and flexibility, alleviates hose crossing issues and has the minimum of downsides (it doesn't matter which reg you donate). It would be acceptable for a "Tec dive to get the receiver to a stop before they can get onto a deco reg, however It would not be the optimum for a physical overhead like a wreck penetration.

I like for people to think about their gear setup rather than blindly follow a particular method.

Many many divers, really aren't that skilled with regard to donate. It's something they do in training , park and forget. Even those that practise (for the most part) do so in a controlled low stress environment.

When I teach Rescue, during the final scenarios, when I simulate OOA it's not with the nice calm OOA signal. No, I come at them with my mask off, reg out, eyes wide open "flailing" about. Even though they will have practised this as part of the course, and the OOA is briefed at least 50% freeze up with surprise and shock. Quite often I will end up halting the scenario putting my own reg in and mask on and then debriefing. This is with a normal rig. With Long hose some get into a real tizz.

Obviously this isn't' an equipment issue rather than a practise and skill issue. But this is the reality.

I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle (and the 6 P's - Prior Preparation Prevents P1$$ Poor Performance) so people having the simplest setup applicable to allow themselves to carry out the type of diving they choose, and thinking it through. A great example is the discussion on SM as to whether to use the standard long hose bungeed second or 2 long hoses. Pro's and cons for both and in the end a personal choice dependant upon your preferences (I prefer the latter especially on my DPV as its faster to donate a free reg)

In my early dive experience, I was as guilty as anyone of making my gear selection based on others' opinion or how shiney it was. More experienced divers got me to justify my equipment decisions by discussion and thinking. Sometimes I was right and sometimes I was wrong. They weren't trying to shame me, just get me to think my decisions through. And it was a great learning experience.

So in summary I have no objection to any gear rig - I only object to decisions that have been made without real thought behind it, (because they've read about it or want to look different etc etc) and then not taking the time to practice or get tuition in the operation or use of that config. That could be Long hose, Pony's etc etc

Good discussion though.

Back
Top Bottom