Picked up some old(maybe?) Poseidon 2nds for CHEAP. What to do now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TooManyHobbies

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I grabbed two Cyklons (metal, but not sure if 300 or 5000) and a Jetstream for $15 each. There is some pitting on the outside of the Cyklons and the hoses look like they could use replacing. The Jetstream looks pretty solid from the outside. The previous owner never used them and didn't know much about them.

I have a general understanding of the differences between upstream and downstream regulators, but I have absolutely no experience with Poseidon products beyond seeing them in the marketplace and in various online stores. I just knew I had to try for the price.

I will get them inspected serviced before I try to use them but what else do I need to know? Should I look for matching used first stages? Can I use the other first stages I have safely (Atomic Z2, Mk17, Mk25, Hollis DC1)? How do I tell if they have the appropriate overpressure protection? Should I take them apart and clean them myself, or wait till they're with a pro? I'm mechanically inclined, but I don't have any special tools for regs. I plan to take a couple regulator maintenance classes over the next year, but I don't think there will be an offering for Poseidon nearby.

I know this is a lot to ask, but I appreciate any guidance I can get.

get them serviced. it is unlikely they would be damaged to the point of not being serviceable. the cyklons should stay together as they require a higher IP (165 psi) than other second stages. The jetstream likes a lower IP than most, 123 psi, so any octo you pair with it should get retuned. you can't mix the jetstream and cyklon though. adjusting the IP for either the cyklons or jetstream is not that bad.

you need an OPV for the jetstream, check the hose it came with. if it pulls open like a stiff spring, then it has OPV.

If the Cyklon first stage is very short and stubby like this:
IMG_20190924_185128.jpg

it is a 300.
You can no longer get a critical part for it, but PM me if you want help refurbishing it.

Also make sure of the first stage thread size - metric or UNF. It is VERY easy to thread a standard reg hose into a metric port and crossthread the body, essentially making it into a paperweight.

Everything else can be serviced, but note that reliable Poseidon service can be hard to find, and parts are rather more expensive.

That said, the metal Cyklons are gems, and the Jetstream is still in production too. Great regs.

To reemphasize comments made above, the only reg you can use as an octo with a metal Cyklon is another (metal or plastic) Cyklon.

And the lower IP for the Jetstream means retuning your octo.

Good luck! Happy to answer service questions in conversation.

There's a Poseidon service seminar in Orlando in November that doesn't require you to be a dealer or to join DEMA (it's being held near, but not at, the DEMA convention).

get them serviced. it is unlikely they would be damaged to the point of not being serviceable. the cyklons should stay together as they require a higher IP (165 psi) than other second stages. The jetstream likes a lower IP than most, 123 psi, so any octo you pair with it should get retuned. you can't mix the jetstream and cyklon though. adjusting the IP for either the cyklons or jetstream is not that bad.

you need an OPV for the jetstream, check the hose it came with. if it pulls open like a stiff spring, then it has OPV.

So any first stage, tuned properly, will work with the second stages as long as they are not cross-pollinated?
I think the Jetstream does have the OPV hose, maybe I could set it up as a stage/pony reg. Needs a vinegar soak for sure though.

Back
Top Bottom