Pictuers from Sipadan two weeks ago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi thyuen!

I was going alone to Sipadan but a couple decided to join me and we are going stay there between 7 to 19 April,

Hoping I´ll meet you and your friends !!

I will be in the Area of Sipadan 08/11/04. I still hanen't decided where to stay. I sent an email to Sipadan Lodge but with no return. Anyone been there recently please drop a word of wisdom. What are the prices to expect? Anyone one else gong there around that time would be great to meet. Its a month away yet but I'm getting stoked! Rip Rip

I stayed at Sipadan Dive Centre and I recommend it very much. The divemasters are very good (Julius is always looking for hammerheads sharks and we saw them twice!) and the resort is very pleasant also!!

There are 3 resorts near the drop off (Sipadan Dive Centre, Borneo Divers and Pulau Sipadan Resort). I would recommend one of those 3 resorts. The others operators are further from the drop off, so they have to walk a long way to the drop off ....

I paid my trip from London (www.divequest.co.uk), but I think you can get a better deal if you book directly from the resort.

does anyone know how the diving on mabul is compared to Sipadan? I wanted to go there in the next week or so (sipadan that is) and Borneo Divers has only 3 days available there, they offered to have me stay on Mabul for the rest of the time. I guess its much diving eh? I just got back from Lembeh Strait and I have to say that muck diving is not really for me, I prefer the corals, walls, sponges and good vis! Please advise. SDL and the other operator (can't remember the name) both did not respond to my emails.

BTW, are my eyes fooling me (because they're not big and round) or is there some racism on this thread in slamming Asian divers? I happen to be Asian (born in the US) and I don't go around with a bazooka underwater, so maybe the person who wrote that comment can think before making such a blanket statement (if indeed that is how it was meant, if not.. my apologies). I've seen plenty of other races do some stupid things underwater, but I didn't attribute it to thier skin color, just that they were ignorant people.

I stayed at Sipadan in February/March this year. Stayed at Abdillah Sipadan Paradise Resort. Enjoyed it very much. Accommodation and food excellent.

http://www.borneo.org/asp/

Click on facilites and photos to get an idea what it is like. E-mail them and you will get a prompt reply.

I also had a days diving at Mabul. It is mainly "muck" diving. Excellent but I think I would find it difficult to spend a week there. Sipadan is a different kettle of fish though. I could spend the next 12 months diving there. If you like big stuff then Sipadan is for you.

If you want any more info then contact me and I will gladly help.

Regards

David

funkyspelunker:
does anyone know how the diving on mabul is compared to Sipadan? I wanted to go there in the next week or so (sipadan that is) and Borneo Divers has only 3 days available there, they offered to have me stay on Mabul for the rest of the time.

Mabul is 10 minutes by boat from Sipadan, so you should be able to dive in Sipadan anyway. Most divers that spend time in Mabul do 70% of their dives in Sipadan, as the boat will take you there as long as the majority of the divers at Mabul agree to go there (believe you me, they will).

funkyspelunker:
I guess its much diving eh? I just got back from Lembeh Strait and I have to say that muck diving is not really for me, I prefer the corals, walls, sponges and good vis! Please advise. SDL and the other operator (can't remember the name) both did not respond to my emails.

Mabul isn't really muck diving, it's more micro diving. If you're into your Nudi's, it is FANTASTIC! Also there are rare fish to see there that are difficult to find in Sipadan. I recommend no more than 2 days diving in Mabul. Spend the rest in Sipadan. And since you prefer corals, walls, sponges, go Sipadan. Good vis? Well, you know that's the luck of the draw, but it should be good this time of year. (you're at the tail end of the "best vis" season).

funkyspelunker:
BTW, are my eyes fooling me (because they're not big and round) or is there some racism on this thread in slamming Asian divers? I happen to be Asian (born in the US) and I don't go around with a bazooka underwater, so maybe the person who wrote that comment can think before making such a blanket statement (if indeed that is how it was meant, if not.. my apologies). I've seen plenty of other races do some stupid things underwater, but I didn't attribute it to thier skin color, just that they were ignorant people.

Perhaps I wrote it, and I meant no offense, especially since I am 100% Asian. I just tell it like I see it. It's not just me whom agree's to it, the local Malaysian Divemasters agree too. It is not intended to be a "blanket statement". You are quite correct though, that many people do silly things underwater. In fact, I met my girlfriend that way... she tried a fast ascent at "Lobsters Lair" in Sipidan. Silly girl. That flipper grab technique works wonders!

Dive safely! And, also *ahem* if you're into hammerheads, they're there too. You just have to know where to look.

PS. Strong Sipidan Suggestion: Because of the ease of entry and locality, do as many dives as you can in Sipadan, because Mabul isn't as convenient. 5 dives a day was what I usually did, with the odd 6 dive day. The drop off is so close to the LDC (about 20 meters away). Hope that's sufficient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom