Picture improvent.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdenn

Registered
Reaction score
i took pics with a cheap disposable camera by Kodak good to 50 feet at Looe key and got it developed onto a cd (was quite pricy to!) i want to know what program to use to get the best results. The Pictures came out very grainy almost like there was sand suspended in the water

One of the best and affordable programs is Photoshop Elements. Version 3 will be shipping in a few weeks...$99. You can always find rebates.

jdenn:
i took pics with a cheap disposable camera by Kodak good to 50 feet at Looe key and got it developed onto a cd (was quite pricy to!) i want to know what program to use to get the best results. The Pictures came out very grainy almost like there was sand suspended in the water

If you used the flash, they were probably translucent particles suspended in the water. It's called Backscatter and has to do with the flash being too near the lens so the particles reflect the light directly back onto your image. That's why most better camera setups move the flash(es) out to the side on an extension arm.

You can clean them up somewhat by using Photoshop/Photoshop Elements or a similar program using the clone tool to replace the bad areas. Or if they're uniform in color(typically red) try reducing the corresponding color channel/level slightly.

Post one so we can see the problem and give you other options.

Steve

sjspeck:
If you used the flash, they were probably translucent particles suspended in the water. It's called Backscatter and has to do with the flash being too near the lens so the particles reflect the light directly back onto your image. That's why most better camera setups move the flash(es) out to the side on an extension arm.

You can clean them up somewhat by using Photoshop/Photoshop Elements or a similar program using the clone tool to replace the bad areas. Or if they're uniform in color(typically red) try reducing the corresponding color channel/level slightly.

Post one so we can see the problem and give you other options.

Steve

there was no flash it was a cheep disposeable. i will post a pic asap, but my computer where they are stored is being used in a complex restore of another computer and my drive has been disabled thks for any help

jdenn:
there was no flash it was a cheep disposeable. i will post a pic asap, but my computer where they are stored is being used in a complex restore of another computer and my drive has been disabled thks for any help

It might just have been the processing then. Did you pay for Kodak Sea Processing when you had the CD made? There's another thread from a couple weeks ago that talks about poor results with a Kodak CD and offers some options including using the Mandrake action - the process is detailed in the thread - and Photoshop to obtain better results. Although personally I've not had great results using the action:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t72972-kodak-sea-processing---poor-resolution-cd.html

I agree with Dee. Start with PS elements which comes bundled with a lot of current digital cameras and scanners. I recently helped a friend spruce up some UW photos shot with a reefmaster. There can be a lot of color info in a picture that otherwise looks bland that photosoftware can bring out. When you get your computer up, post some shots in this thread. You will get a lot of helpful advice. Just understand that there are severe limits to what you can produce with a disposable camera, ambient light, and a lo-res scan.

Two things i can think of.

1. Usually these cheap cameras come with a very cheap fast film, 400-800.

These films are inherently grainy, there is nothing you can do about that afterwards.
I have run into problems with 400 speed slide film, i no longer use it because of the grain.

2. Perhaps try an unsharp mask in Photoshop.
I would suggest settings of up to 150% in sharpening
no more than 3 for the second option (radius?)
leave the 3rd setting at 0.1 (threshold?)

I can't remember which one is number 2 or number 3. Whatever the case, you don't want to move either one past the 3 as this will start to create more grain!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom