Pinnacle Polar - anyone use one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lursxt

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,
I'm thinking about getting wet the weekend of April 15th. I currently use a Henderson gold core 7/5 with an integrated hood, 7mm henderson boots, and 7mm henderson gloves. I'm concerned I'll be cold during that time of year. I got certified last July and my last dive was in mid-october (folly) with water temps in the low 50's. I was not cold during any of my dives last season, but I'm wondering if I will be in mid-april with the lower water temps. I'm really interested in the pinnacle polar (7/5). The arm and leg gussets and merino lining features are really interesting. I'm wondering if the suit will keep me warmer than the gold core. The hendersen fits me very well. It's actually a semi-custom fit. I ripped a knee on the suit and sent it to henderson. I'm 5'8" and they replaced both legs with shorter ones so I would have a better overall fit. (as a side note, I purchased the henderson used from my LDS for $100. I think its only a year or two old.)

So that's my quandry. Is the pinnacle polar superior to the henderson gold core?

I have all my equipment except tanks. I'm going to purchase two tanks this season as well. I wonder if I should buy the tanks first, dive with the henderson and see where I'm at withstanding the cold. I'm also considering purchasing a pinnacle 3mm vest to wear under the henderson if I don't get the pinnacle polar.

Any thoughts from the new england divers would be appreciated!

The Pinnacle Polar will be no better than what you currently have. Want to save money on a wetsuit...buy a drysuit to begin with. I have a Pinnacle Polar and wound up going dry and could not see going back to wet in under 55 degree water.

I do use a Pinnacle Polar most of the year. I find that it is too warm for use here in So. Cal for much of the year. However, I did use it in January & February in the Northern Channel Is. where the water temp. dipped into the very low 50's and I was quite chilly.

Tampico_ED:
Hi,

Get the Semi-dry Pinnacle....my buddy dove it still on winter at 43oF. Otherwise get a drysuit !!

Ed

If you mean Dave, you're leaving out the part where he said he was feeling pretty cold after the dive..... :D

it depends on your tolerance for cold.
i havent dove that particular suit but so far im impressed with the pinnicle products ive used

I say the one that fits you body the best and reduces water flow the best. All the gimmick in the world wont stop water from carrying your body heat away if the suit doesnt fit right. I hate those pockets of cold water from a loose suit.

Personally, I would buy the tanks first and try out your Henderson wetsuit in the cold water. The water temps are slowely warming a bit depending on who's computer you choose to believe. I was in 37 degree water in a wetsuit just a few weeks ago and did 2 boat dives over the weekend to 104 feet and 84 feet with temps running somewhere between 35-40 degrees (my computer had 41, a buddies 35). I got chilled during the SI on the boat but warmed up a bit once back in the water and moving. Hands came out like blocks of ice though. If your cold tolerant, hang with the wetsuit now through the summer, water temps will only be getting warmer! Then you can save some $$ for more neat gear!

I'm diving a Pinnacle Polar on Vancouver Island in BC Canada. After my second dive in the suit (in October) I went out and bought a used 3mm shorty as a core warmer. Since then I have been just "okay". Assuming you don't want to spend the money I'm not sure that you might not be just as well off to do what i did and find a cheap shorty to wear underneath. The one I bought had been sitting in my LDS for 2 years and he gave it to me for $25. If money is not an issue, do what I am doing right now and get a decent dry suit, so you can dive year round and be warm all the time!!!

RIOceanographer:
If you mean Dave, you're leaving out the part where he said he was feeling pretty cold after the dive..... :D

Yup, i was definitely cold after. It is very flexible and comfortable for how thick it is. I could push about 45 minutes in the 43 degrees. I also got changed inside my car that day:D

for the 50-75 degree water, though, I would recommend the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom