Pipefish or Pipehorse ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calypsonick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are these little guys ? Pipefish or Pipehorses ?

They are around 1.5 inches long and 1/8 inch in diameter. They like to hang out in the 10-15 meter depth range in sandy bottom hooked on to small viney plants. These two were spotted in the north coast of East Timor.

Some say that if they have protruding bellies and prehensile tails that makes them pipehorses as opposed ot pipefish. Is this correct?

Thanks
Nick

050910sb028.jpg

050910sb041.jpg

Hi Calypsonick,

I'm not an expert by any means, but my first instinct when i saw these photos in the UW section was that they were pipehorses. Whatever they are they are cuties and you are so lucky to see them.

Mel :)

Edit: Just looked in my book Australian Marine Life (temperate) comparing pipefish and pipehorses and they definately look more like pipehorses. If you (or anyone else) have access to Rudie Kuiter's guide to Syngnathids which is the definative guide to these fellas then you should know for certain.

Mel.B:
Hi Calypsonick,

I'm not an expert by any means, but my first instinct when i saw these photos in the UW section was that they were pipehorses. Whatever they are they are cuties and you are so lucky to see them.

Mel :)

Edit: Just looked in my book Australian Marine Life (temperate) comparing pipefish and pipehorses and they definately look more like pipehorses. If you (or anyone else) have access to Rudie Kuiter's guide to Syngnathids which is the definative guide to these fellas then you should know for certain.

Thanks Mel! I'm going to have to track down a copy of that book.

Nick

I didn't even know there were pipehorses. I thought there were just pipefish & seahorses.

This is why I love ScubaBoard! :D

SubMariner:
I didn't even know there were pipehorses. I thought there were just pipefish & seahorses.

This is why I love ScubaBoard! :D

I didn't think so either. When I was on the Belize Aggressor a few months ago, and the guides pointed out pipehorses to us. I was under the (probably mistaken) impression that what we were seeing were actually pipefish. Live and learn... :)

I've got Kuiter's book, which is an excellent resource. From a quick skim, it looks like you found the Short-pouch Pygmy Pipehorse, Acentronura breviperula.

Back
Top Bottom