Piranha Housing and Battery swap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lostsheep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Starting my own thread here so as to not derail others.

I appreciate any and all questions, comments, and concerns about what I'm doing here.

I got a piranha a couple of years ago with the original battery, and it's starting to show it's age. According to my "Watts up" charger monitor the most my battery has ever taken is about 280Wh even though the battery is supposed to be ~400Wh. After about 75 minutes at cruise it starts to die and it's become the limiting factor for me so it's time to step it up. I've never been a fan of the multiple sealing surfaces nor am I fan of stacking more batteries so I decided to attempt to make my own housing and I sourced a ~stock battery from battery space. I got a 777Wh battery from battery space and started making chips.

Here's the plan:

Capture2.JPG

Milled a nose cap:

IMG_1473.jpg

63021921213__3ECD550B-718D-419D-8D7F-D977A743510B.jpg

Used the laser to cut 1/4" acetal to hold the battery; I'm hoping friction will keep it in place:

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

Cut the housing on the engine lathe (sorry for the blurry pic):

63382413449__392CBD6B-3A3D-416A-80F0-2B5B8C1B9010.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

Ready for welding and ano tomorrow!

IMG_1471.jpg

The tube was not even remotely round and hanging out ~13" was a bit sketchy so I made an adjustable spud so I could indicate the tube in as accurate and as concentric as possible. ID was ~7.50" and I was aiming for 7.575", was able to get it to TIR of about .007". OD isn't perfect with the piranha tail but it would take some really good eyecrometers to notice...good enough:

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

Reactions: OTF
Nice work!

Super cool to see, I need a short body for my cuda for boat diving . You where spot on in other thread. Absolutely no reason to reinforce 6mm alloy.

I put the smart dpv in my sierra, they suggest some efficiency gains are seen with the new controller. Something to consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom