Pirates in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The September issue of Undercurrent has an article about pirate activities in areas of the Caribbean, including St. Lucia, Honduras, Trinidad and Tobago, Haiti, and especially around Venezuela; UC subscribers can access the article at the link below:

https://www.undercurrent.org/members/UCnow/dive_magazine/2018/PiratesCaribbean201809.html

There have been a number of incidents that include: boarding and robbing, murdering crew and passengers, and taking hostages for ransom.

They said that so far the pirate activities have not taken place near popular dive destinations, except possibly Los Roques in Venezuela.

I work between Trinidad and Guyana. All I can say is pay very close attention to the reports on piracy. It is real and it is getting worse.

Venezuela's people are in dire circumstances and getting desperate.

We have had multiple attempted boardings of large commerical vessels and actual boardings of smaller vessels.

When violence does happen it is brutal.

The Caribbean countries don't have the resources to effectively police their Waters. So far the tourist areas have been ok as long as the boats don't venture too far offshore alone.

Be careful, pay attention to the state department warnings, and travel in groups of boats while around Venezuela.

We're all going to need to have a BFK now. I might need to get mine in 7.62 caliber.

...The Caribbean countries don't have the resources to effectively police their Waters...

And it may also be possible that their police are part of the threat; according to the Undercurrent article:

"...In Venezuela, the country's Coast Guard officers have boarded anchored vessels and demanded money and food..."

Any risk for Bonaire with its proximity to Venezuela?
Probably not. Curacao is closer and there haven't been any reports from them. Pirates are going to be targeting luxury ships and boats, and not dive ops. It's certainly not going to deter me from traveling to Curacao this January with the ScubaBoard Surge. It sounds more like hysteria designed to sell subscriptions. I'm not a subscriber but sensationalist crap like that is going to keep me from becoming one. Do your due diligence before you travel. Make yourself a small target. Check the travel advisories for the area you want to go. Check them for accuracy right here on ScubaBoard. Don't give into fear designed to increase subscriptions.

Probably not. Curacao is closer and there haven't been any reports from them. Pirates are going to be targeting luxury ships and boats, and not dive ops. It's certainly not going to deter me from traveling to Curacao this January with the ScubaBoard Surge. It sounds more like hysteria designed to sell subscriptions. I'm not a subscriber but sensationalist crap like that is going to keep me from becoming one. Do your due diligence before you travel. Make yourself a small target. Check the travel advisories for the area you want to go. Check them for accuracy right here on ScubaBoard. Don't give into fear designed to increase subscriptions.
I think that's unfair. Yes, I know they are the competition, yes, they are for sale and not for free. We all fit someone's needs, until we don't anymore.

All of the cruising and even the oilfield boat forums are reporting increased piracy in the Caribbean. Real oilfield boats and real cruising yachts are being shaken down, some right around Curacao. No, they aren't targeting dive boats, and no they aren't targeting cruise ships, but they are actually killing and raping those who resist.

Its a valid warning. No, this won't effect your dive vacation.

The US State Department has not issued any travel warnings for Curacao or Bonaire, they are classed as Level 1 destinations (exercise normal precautions).

They have issued numerous warnings for Venezuela. It is classified as Level 3 (reconsider travel and avoid non-essential travel); see the link below:

Venezuela International Travel Information

I don't consider either Scubaboard and Undercurrent to be exclusive or sensationalist sites. I think that they are complementary and I find both to be valuable resources for diving and dive travel information.

But I apologize if my posting was not appropriate; you are welcome to delete this thread if you wish.

No, this won't effect your dive vacation.
Precisely. It won't 'affect' it either! :D :D :D I pointed out that private luxury boats are what they're after. Sure, oil boats and other ships with real value are going to be fair game to pirates as well. Dive boats don't seem to be on their menu, at least for now. Could it happen? Anything is possible. Will it happen? I don't think so and we haven't heard of any incidents involving dive ops.

As for being unfair, why are they bringing this crap up to Scuba divers? Fear sells. I don't like fear mongering. No, I don't see them as 'competition' either. We serve two very distinct venues and our economic models couldn't be more different. There was a recent hit piece on Reef Safe that was so full of errors that I just shook my head. Again, fear was the underlying theme. I don't think they are unbiased anymore and what's worse is that they don't allow discussion after the fact. This fear mongering goes unchallenged and it hurts the industry. They seem to be the only ones served by this. You're free to disagree, but I find it problematic at best. I like my reviews by divers who aren't paid to write. We certainly have some who benefit from resorts and manufacturers, me included. Their ethics are often called into question, as they should and we never allow such fear mongering.

Bonaire has its own crime problem. Much like most of the Caribbean, property crimes have become more of an issue lately, even my beloved Cozumel. I'm sure you have heard not to leave ANYTHING of value in your truck while diving and to leave the windows down and/or doors unlocked. There was a 2016 zombie thread about burglars entering condos as well that went for over 50 pages.

Bonaire Crime - Our experience - Looking for input to share

I believe that the resorts are safer because of the staff watching for those that shouldn't be there. Either way, never give a thief a chance, regardless of where you are. (Says the man who just had a $4000 four wheeler stolen from an unlocked barn.....).

Safe travels,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom