Place of dive tables in modern diving (Split from the basic thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie

Proud to be a Chaos Muppet
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
A brain familiar with the tables on a basic level together with a computer seems to be an excellent combination. There is never an advantage in not knowing something.

But there MAY be a disadvantage to being taught something: Specifically, it can be disadvantageous to be taught something, think you know it, rely on knowing it, and then find out the hard way that you no longer know it like you did when you were first taught. It can also be disadvantageous to be taught something, think you know it, rely on knowing it, and then find out the hard way that you were actually taught incorrectly.

Why would you give someone a tool that you know is extremely likely to sit, rusting away to the point of no longer being serviceable, before they would ever try to use it? And, worse, knowing that there is a reasonable chance the person might not perceive that the tool is not serviceable so they stake their health and safety on it anyway.

If this thread makes newer divers and vacation divers take some time to get a idea about time and depth.. Understand that a PDC is really a awesome tool that is really running tables every minute of the dive and knowing more is a good thing.. It's been worth it.. And the simple 60/60=120 rules is all they need..

Jim...

But there MAY be a disadvantage to being taught something: Specifically, it can be disadvantageous to be taught something, think you know it, rely on knowing it, and then find out the hard way that you no longer know it like you did when you were first taught. It can also be disadvantageous to be taught something, think you know it, rely on knowing it, and then find out the hard way that you were actually taught incorrectly.

Why would you give someone a tool that you know is extremely likely to sit, rusting away to the point of no longer being serviceable, before they would ever try to use it? And, worse, knowing that there is a reasonable chance the person might not perceive that the tool is not serviceable so they stake their health and safety on it anyway.
The logical flaw in your reasoning is a confusion between knowing and having once been taught. If the tables are considered before every significant or deeper dive then there is little chance of them 'rusting away'. If they are actually known their consideration is virtually automatic. It is for me. No extra thought or special effort is involved.

And this is why I try to make room in my luggage for some of my own gear if I'm diving abroad. After packing my camera gear, I usually am able to stuff in my own mask, reg set and computer. Those are, IMO, the most critical parts of my equipment and those parts I really prefer to have and know their service history and previous performance.
Likewise - I would rather do without other stuff and be able to rely on my own gear than use rental. The only situation I could foresee is an unplanned dive on a trip.

The other thing that is important with using my own gear is I know exactly how the computer works -how to set gases, planning, what a particular reading is (in particular what deco looks like on screen as opposed to NDL) etc. I might not know how to interpret the rental computers screen when it comes to deco.

What is the place of dive tables in modern diving? I think there are two answers:

1. Absolutely vital for divers who aren't using computers.

2. Nice to know for divers who use computers, but not necessary (kind of like knowing how to calculate the square root of a number or solve a differential equation is nice, but not something most people will have to do themselves).

What is the place of dive tables in modern diving? I think there are two answers:

1. Absolutely vital for divers who aren't using computers.

2. Nice to know for divers who use computers, but not necessary (kind of like knowing how to calculate the square root of a number or solve a differential equation is nice, but not something most people will have to do themselves).
Can't disagree here.

Back
Top Bottom