Place to live, and dive in SE Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been living in the Philippines for the past 7 years, life is good once you have adjusted to the slow pace of life. You can get by ok on around a $1,000 a month. The hot spots for retirees at the moment are places like Dumaguete, Puerto Galera and Cebu. There are some good options for visa as well but I would recommend spending at least 6 months as a tourist so you can get the lay of the land :) Good luck.

I lived in Phuket for 6 years. The diving is good and there is wide variety of accommodation and restaurants to suit all tastes. No problem with language, Thais are very friendly and understand much English. Visa wise you have to leave every 3 months even with an annual visa which can be annoying, though Penang is pretty nice to visit for a few days visa run.
That said I think if i'd had the choice I'd go for Bali. Better local diving options and easy hops to other places in Indonesia. The accommodation is, from what i could see from friend's places, better value than Phuket with more space and amenities. Local housekeepers are inexpensive too. Areas such as Sanur have a huge range of western food and very good local options, vibrant nightlife and welcoming community. If you have a vehicle there are shopping malls and supermarkets. traffic is a often an issue but it is easy to get around. Visa wise I believe you can apply for an annual retirement visa if you can show sufficient income (which i think $4000 will be no problem). Bahasa is relatively simple to learn, especially compared to Thai, but many people on Bali speak English very well.
I lived in the Philippines too but whilst most people speak English so that was easy, the food is not anywhere near as good as other asian countries (that was in 2010 though). Drinks are generally cheaper as the Philippines does not have such high alcohol tax as Thailand and Indonesia

I think you should try to visit different places, stay for a month or two, then try another.

After a while you going to get a favorite that is the best place for you, where you can get the things you like, where you meet good friends.

What is best for me or JD is maybe not the best place for you.

$4000/month will give you a nice life in most parts of SEA, i think I would do it on $1000.

Back
Top Bottom