Places to Dive in Dallas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Neely

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I will be in Dallas in late October for a conference and convention. It turns out that a whole day in my schedule has opened up and, since we're contemplating driving down, we're thinking about hauling our kits with us and doing a little diving.

To that end ... I'm in search of recommendations for great locations for that time of year in the Dallas area.

Cozumel is great that time of the year, just a 2.5 hour flight away. Seriously not much great diving in the Dallas area. Most of the lakes around here are not very clear. There is a scuba park 30 minutes east of Dallas with 10-20' vis but it is usually only open Fri- Sun. You could probably find better places to dive on your way down or back.

Cozumel is great that time of the year, just a 2.5 hour flight away. Seriously not much great diving in the Dallas area. Most of the lakes around here are not very clear. There is a scuba park 30 minutes east of Dallas with 10-20' vis but it is usually only open Fri- Sun. You could probably find better places to dive on your way down or back.

Well stated. Love where I live but DFW does not have great diving real close.

If you have a full day, about 3 hours south of Dallas is Stillhouse Hollow Lake. It's the 2nd best lake (after Travis) to dive in Texas for visibility and things to see. There's a dive shop on the lake at the marina, entry is free (if you say you're going to the marina), and there's a SCUBA park with lines and small wrecks.

A couple of places you might dive. Clear springs in Terrel, Texas or maybe the blue lagoon by Huntsville, Texas. Also in Glen Rose there is a dive lake. Of all of them, I think you would like Terrel the best.

Good luck

The one in glen rose is Wheeler Branch

There is also Athens Scuba Park in Athens

You can also dive the Comal river near Austin and go treasure hunting (it’s a tubing river)

But as I said previously, I would spend the day seeing sights and skip the diving.

Back
Top Bottom