Planes and equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cherinere

Contributor
Reaction score
When bringing equipment with you on flights is there a special request or service we should ask for to insure it is safe? To carry it on would be difficult for our run through the airport to catch another connection. As always open for all imput! Cher

Hi cherinere:

Consider at least carrying on your most important or expensive dive gear. I carry my regulator, computer(s), and prescription mask and check the rest.

I strongly recommend that you not ask the airline for special handling of your checked scuba gear- or even that you mention to them that you have scuba gear. Most US airlines have a policy of charging to carry scuba gear even if it doesn't require special handling. A typical charge for most airlines would be an extra $150+ per diver for a round trip.

If you carry a compressed air cylinder, it is considered "hazardous cargo" by the DOT if it contains more than 40 psi of pressure, so the airline is responsible for making sure that any scuba tanks, pony bottles, Spare Airs, etc. are empty. But other than that, as far as I'm concerned I just put my checked scuba gear in a plain bag and it's none of the airlines' business what's in it.

HTH,

Bill

Thank you so very much for the imput, we never even thought
about it. I can't tell you how much useful info I have recieved from this site. While I have your attention let me ask you one more question since I noticed the Dr. thing
you have going for you. Have you ever heard of Transderm-s
and is it safe to use when diving, my hubby gets really
sea sick.

Back
Top Bottom