Planning a cave training trip to Mexico...need some advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dende

New
Reaction score
Hello all, long-time lurker from Germany here. I've been reading this board for some years and it's been most definitely a great source of information. I am looking for advice concerning a trip to Tulum for cave training in the cenotes. Finally, my first post! Hopefully I hit the right section... :)

I originally planned doing this trip next year with a lot of preparation beforehand and with my regular local dive buddy. Unfortunately, my buddy pulled out for good. Furthermore, doing this trip this March or April (May max.), would fit into in my current life situation. Despite the little preparation time, I am thinking about pulling the trigger on this one and go alone.

The idea just emerged a few days ago. Haven't done any decent research yet but the clock is ticking. These are the main topics I am currently thinking about. Feel free to comment and point out any others I forgot to consider...

1) What about weather and vacation times around Tulum? Any time-frame to avoid during March to Mai? Is spring break an issue in this area?

2) Which Shop and Instructor? Diving a Razor system and got SDI Sidemount + TDI Cavern certs. Looking for a really decent instructor for 4-7 days of training and about another week of guided diving or joining some people. Not interested in Fullcave. I am hoping to pass an honest and rock solid Intro class and get some cave dives under my belt. Finishing classes without doing consecutive dives as a "full" team member is IMHO pointless on this level. From my limited research so far, I am considering reaching out to Under The Jungle.

3) Where/How to stay? Probably depends on the chosen shop. Since I will travel alone, I would really enjoy staying somewhere with other students or divers to connect with. From my previous training I also recall appreciating someone to talk to in the evening for processing the huge load of impressions during the day :)

4) How to join/form a team in Tulum after training/guiding? Probably most people dive exclusively with their regular well-known buddies. I also guess cave divers are cautious and picky about new team members (and they should). This brings me back to 3...

Well, first of all welcome and congrats on taking the next step. Mexican caves are truly amazing, you will have an awesome time.

I’ve been to Mexico twice, and stayed/trained/dived out of Zero Gravity, which I recommend most highly. Awesome people, awesome facilities with everything you want, great logistics, and you’d meet other divers there too. I will likely always go back to ZG in the future. Having said that, a few thoughts re your questions:

1) I’d think the earlier the better, before it gets too hot. It isnt a dealbreaker, but from what I heard most people prefer not to travel there June-Aug, maybe even May-Sep.

2) I only know ZG myself, but I overheard ZG folks answering questions about which shops theyd recommend in Tulum. I have no first hand experience, so take it for what its worth. In Tulum, either “Aquatic Tulum” or “Third Dimension”. “Under the Jungle” also gets recommended but afaik thats not in Tulum. Protec could also be another option.

3) in Tulum, dont know, but the downtown area isn't sooo big, so probably doesnt matter too much.

4) That can be one of the advantages of the GUE community (hint, hint) ;-)

Under the Jungle (Natalie Gibb et al.) is probably the top shop for Razor cave diving instruction in the area. They should be able to set you up with pretty much everything you need. As to a place to stay, Xoc-Ha is a place run by cave divers for cave divers nearby.

Protec Tulum would be a great choice, outstanding shop, instructors, equipment and facilities. I believe Kim has now opened a hostel for divers above the Tulum shop, which would be an inexpensive and very convenient way to stay there (it is in a good location in town) and to stay with other cave divers.

Spring break isn't an issue in that area. March is the spring break time for the US students by the way. As far as a shop if you are diving a Razor you have numerous Go Sidemount instructors in the area. Bogaerts, HP, Natalie Gibbs and Christine Loew. If you are wanting to get in on some cool dives after training I would go with Natalie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom