Planning a trip to Cozumel - Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SentinelAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking about going to Cozumel this year. Flights don't look too bad. What shop and dive sites and places to stay would you guys recommend?

I'm going to answer your question but also gently suggest that you read the dozens of threads on this subject in the Cozumel section of this forum. Your question has been ask and answered numerous times.

Aldora divers for their large tanks and extended bottom times and good customer service.

Paradise condos south of town near the Money Bar rather than an AI resort because it's less expensive and you can enjoy eating at lots of great restaurants and get a true taste of the culture rather than stuffing yourself on all-you-can-eat resort food and watered down bar drinks.

At one time I would have said the deep Palancar Walls are a must-do. After my last trip I wouldn't bother unless you like swim throughs and don't care all that much about seeing fish.

My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip
Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

A few questions:

1.) Are you going alone, or with non-divers?
2.) Does a sandy beach matter?
3.) Do big 120-cf steel tanks and longer dive times matter?
4.) How many dives/day do you want to do? Would fewer, longer dives be preferable, or do you prefer the idea of hitting more different sites?
5.) Do you like walking to various independent restaurants for food, or eating onsite (e.g.: all-inclusive)?
6.) Do you want to do anything besides dive?
7.) Is dedicating one day to taking a ferry over to Playa del Carman for an excursion to do cenote diving desired, or sticking with drift diving Cozumel's reef?
8.) Cozumel isn't a big shore diving destination, but some places have it, if that's an issue.

After 4 dives/day with Tres Pelicanos, I ate and hauled my worn out self to bed. Didn't do shore diving. Didn't even do any of the night diving I heard good things about.

Richard.

I also recommend either a small hotel or a condo. We used to do All-Inclusives, but Cozumel has so many great restaurants at reasonable prices that we just started going out more and more -- and also going to different beaches, etc. Cozumel is a great island to explore!

Absolutely recommend staying in town and eating out at the restaurants. I go there for the diving but get equally excited about the food. And I’m picky!!!

My (current) personal choice is Casa Mexicana and diving with Tres Pelicanos but there are sooo many other options that are just as good depending on your preferences.

Echoing others on more info needed. Especially...

Numbers going. AI resort, condo, hotel or B&B. In town or out?

Style of diving? Group or some independence? Air hog?

The next time I return, I am going to try Living Underwater. They have the same size tanks as Aldora, but let you dive your air. You're not dragging everyone else up if you're a hoover (like me), or having to go up early because you're diving with me.

The place to stay is Casa Mexicana. The only drawbacks can be noise (if a cruise ship has loudspeakers welcoming their passengers back) and having to deal with the hawkers on the strip. The breakfast makes it well worth it, though.

The place to stay is Casa Mexicana. The only drawbacks can be noise (if a cruise ship has loudspeakers welcoming their passengers back) and having to deal with the hawkers on the strip. The breakfast makes it well worth it, though.
Casa Mexicana is great, but you might also want to consider their sister hotel Suites Colonial Cozumel
Super quiet, sits back off of the street and is on the pedestrian only (no cars) street down from the plaza. Breakfast at Casa Mexicana is also included in the price and the price is significantly less than Casa Mexicana. One of the best kept secrets in Cozumel- so, keep it to yourself :wink:

I stayed at Suites Colonial last October. I liked it but it was a kind of loud until midnight most nights. It may be because I was on the second level, first level of rooms, two rooms from the street. Even though the street is pedestrian only. Many nights the AM bar, which is open until 12AM, had heavy metal playing pretty loud. I didn't loose much sleep though due to being so tired from diving. My preference is Suites Bahia. If you want total quite get an inside room. Only draw back is you don't have a balcony to dry your stuff on. If you get a balcony room they cost a little more but you have a place to dry your stuff. The draw back is that you have to listen to the Thirsty Cougar. Weekdays they are quite by 11 but Friday and Saturdays or when they have a live band it might be 1 AM. What you do get at Bahia is a fridge and microwave in your room. After my fist stay at the Bahia I thought I would never stay there again, Now it has grown on me and it is my go to place to stay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom