Planning a trip to Palawan/Coron. Help me sanity check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgnu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to the Philippines. I was there last year (Bohol, Malapascua, Moalboal) and loved it.

This year I'm looking at Coron.

So, ground rules:
- I'm thinking somewhere around 15-17 days in the Philippines. Dates are very flexible, but I'm thinking early November most likely.
- I will be entering and leaving via Manila. Would prefer not to have a flight in the middle of the trip, but I don't mind booking a domestic flight from a different place on the way back.
- I think two locations is probably good for this amount of time. Not a fan of staying just a day or two at a location.
- I'm going specifically for photography. I love both reefscapes and macro, but I'd like something "more" from the locations too. Last time this was the threshers at Malapascua and the sardine schools at Moalboal to give you an idea what I mean.

Wow, this is already getting to be a long post (sorry), but basically I'm looking into something like El Nido first, then Coron, and then back home. Here's a bunch of questions for you knowledgeable about those destinations:

- I'm reading different things about the wrecks around Coron. Everything from "it's fine to go whatever certification level you are" to "No point going unless tech diving". I'm AOW (with Nitrox) and have no plan to dive anything more advanced. Will I enjoy the wreck diving in Coron? My wreck experience is limited to the standard Red Sea wrecks that are at recreational depths. Loved the Thistlegorm and Giannis D :)

- While googling I came across this "seafari" thing which seems to be a 3d/4n liveaboard-esque (not sleeping on the boat) way of getting from El Nido to Coron, with lots of diving on the way. Does anyone know if this is a good idea? Sounds really cool to me, so maybe start with a few days in El Nido, then the seafari, then the remaining days on Coron?

- What sort of diving can I expect around El Nido? The area interests me for other reasons, because I'm an avid landscape photographer when on dry land, and the nature looks beautiful there.

- aaaand last: Any other suggestions for a second location to combine with Coron instead of El Nido?

Appreciate any input!

El Nido has really interesting landscape around its surrounding islands. The place has been developed beyond recognition. Diving is mainly reef.
There are enough to see and explore for every level of diver in Coron. The only issue is where to stay! Resorts near the wrecks are expensive while those in town would require long transfer. The town of Coron is really drag.

Linking up the two places by banca is NOT an option for me.

How about spending couple of days in Sabang(Underground River) and explore south of Puerto Princesa which is rarely visit by tourists? You can fly directly to El Nido by Airswift from Manila.

There's a variety of wrecks in Coron and if you were fine with Thistlegorm, there will be ones for you.

I'd say wreck diving altogether is more advanced than plain coral diving, always takes some experience, but you have that.

El Nido has really interesting landscape around its surrounding islands. The place has been developed beyond recognition. Diving is mainly reef.
There are enough to see and explore for every level of diver in Coron. The only issue is where to stay! Resorts near the wrecks are expensive while those in town would require long transfer. The town of Coron is really drag.

Linking up the two places by banca is NOT an option for me.

How about spending couple of days in Sabang(Underground River) and explore south of Puerto Princesa which is rarely visit by tourists? You can fly directly to El Nido by Airswift from Manila.

Thanks for all the input!

How long are we talking to get from Coron town to the wreck sites? multiple hours one way?

Any specific reason you would not want to get from el Nido to Coron by banca? I wouldn't want to as a single trip either, but as a multi day trip with diving along the way I'm thinking it could be pretty nice?

There's a variety of wrecks in Coron and if you were fine with Thistlegorm, there will be ones for you.

I'd say wreck diving altogether is more advanced than plain coral diving, always takes some experience, but you have that.

Good to hear, thanks!

I agree even shallow wrecks are more demanding than sloping reefs. I just meant I wasn't looking to do any certifications or courses on the trip :)

Hi, I did a El Nido-Coron Seafari last November, you can read a few words about it here.
Do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions about it!

Thanks for all the input!

How long are we talking to get from Coron town to the wreck sites? multiple hours one way?

Any specific reason you would not want to get from el Nido to Coron by banca? I wouldn't want to as a single trip either, but as a multi day trip with diving along the way I'm thinking it could be pretty nice?
1. Depend which wrecks you are talking about. If you are staying in Coron then it is a trip lasting several hrs no matter which wrecks you dive. BTW, the experience of the divers on the boat will make the dive on those deep wrecks impossible(eg. Akitsushima and Irako).
2. I am talking about the single banca trip of 7-8hrs.
3. I have done enough trip on banca to know that the thing is only suitable on calm water.
4. The wrecks in Coron are GREAT. Highly recommended with no reservation. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom