Planning move to the islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha!

I got laid off and am using the opportunity to chase my dreams!! I’m moving on Feb 28 and looking for any recommendations - what to see, where to dive, or anything else, even places to stay or work (mechanical engineer, lots of other skills, looking at AirBnB, roommate situations, etc.)

*new diver (no shore or night dives yet) w/ 7mm wetsuit, lol
*only seen Oahu (love beaches, tropics, hiking and swimming)
*need to maximize my budget
*likely to wind up on Oahu but want to see at least 1 other island and totally open to what life presents

So.... what’s your suggestion for new diver who’s only been to Oahu? Should I do AOW first? And do you have any insight to where to stay or work, short or long term?

Mahalo!

If your trying to stretch a budget Oahu would not be me choice I would hit up the Big Island which I think has better diving options anyway. The Big Island and Maui for that matter have plenty of good shops for continuing education. I would also look at VRBO for condo rentals.

The Big Island seems to be the cheapest, at least as far as buying real estate. If you go there let me know why the home prices keep coming down and it looks like just about everything is for sale. Are they expecting the island to explode or something? Did North Korea mention anything about it being within their missile range?

I knew a woman who had some kind of disability and suddenly left Missouri (or thereabouts) and moved to Maui and stayed in campgrounds for many months. I think she was paying $10/night which included cold showers and possibly WiFi. I have not looked lately but I remember seeing campgrounds on the Big Island for $5/night. I'm merely suggesting this as a possible option, if things don't go as planned. I think they have a limit (7 days?) but she was staying in the same place for months and was acquiring bigger and better tents etc from people heading back to the mainland. Somehow I'll bet the large number of homeless people don't pay $10/night anywhere. :wink:

Are you OW now? For Hawai'i shore diving I think you can get by with that. Heck, most places we've been don't give a second thought to taking my OW girlfriend down to 90 feet. I have not yet gone shore diving from the Big Island but I've heard it's the best and I did quite a few shore dives from Maui and they were all very good.

I'm OW now. Only 9 dives so far. I feel like I should have someone show me how to shore dive.

I thought about camping but not sure how that would work with Scuba gear, unless I stuff it in a storage unit with the rest of my stuff.

Maui is like 3-4x the cost of Oahu and Big Island in terms of Air BnBs, Hostels, etc. Oahu makes sense long-term if I'm gonna get an engineering job and make a normal salary, but like I said I"m open to whatever else happens.

I am definitely just an observer here and not really able to help you. But as such:
Kudos to you!
& All the Best.
& Keep us "dreeming non (yet) dream fulfillers" posted.

Some random thoughts - not sure any one of them is helpful:... hopefully...:

Shore diving at a benign location, with no or very little current (say 1/2 mile per hour or less) and reasonably easy entry and exit and little tide activity (or planned and executed cortectly around slack tide) is a bit more work in prep and getting there and getting in and out than a boat dive, and should be a whole lot cheaper. But you do want to be darn sure to not end up on a current to somewhere thousands miles away... And that part is more local knowledge and "knowing sea stuff" (can be done w/o being a seaman) than what an actual PADI class or such would teach you - imho.

You are in CA? At or near the coast?
Why not hook up with people through an LDS or meetup for the purpose of getting a few shore dives in locally?

Stretching the budget = sensibly minimizing dependencies ... meaning:
e.g. buying and maintaining a compressor instead of getting airfills likely is the wrong way to go (maybe more convenient than cost effective, getting a yearly air card at an LDS may be better...
but e.g. working towards becoming a competent diver and competent on sea states, currents weather etc. ... and eventually a competent solo diver. I would judge that as helpful in many ways, including scouting, planning and executing safe budget shore (or kayak) dives that finding budfies for may or may not be easy.

Practice navigation (UW) to the point where you can trust yourself and have a good idea how much you need to expect to be off and how to plan for, deal with that.

Sounds like you must weigh (location wise);
"local low cost dive opportunities (shore dives)" vs. cost of living vs. income opportunitoes.
If those are the main considerations, are you sure the islands would win out over coastal CA (with one of the better job markets around)? (I am asking, I wonder, I do not know - are you thinking of it in that way or are the islands calling - period?)

Was on Hawai only once (about 20 years ago). Snorkelled a lot then (no scuba). Big Island and Kauai. So I cannot speak for the diving... but shore entries sure are to be found... And we spent 3 days on the big island in a luxury hotel, which at the time, even at 50% off was a big splurge for us, so we made up for it by staying 4 days on a then free campground. Which we did seem to share homeless. It was a great help to afford the vacation, but all our belongings staid in the car, with us... nothing stayed on the campground while we were gone out and about. I certainly would not have left valuable gear unsupervised.... The campground to us was not a place to stay just a place to crash for thr night. I woukd look at that sort of thing as well as staying on the beach etc... only as a temporary solution while scouting things out. You obviously need a real place to live... that also allows you to hold down a job ... and maybe if you like it grow roots...

Those Islands are a long and costly way out. Travelling to and from costs... If on a budget you sort want yo be fairly sure this is were you want to be ... all or the most of time...

If so, I very much root for you...

Last edited:
I can't imagine finding an M.E. job anywhere but Oahu - probably at a DOD sub-contractor. Most of the other islands have a tourism-focused economy. I've been to all of them but spent the least time on Oahu so don't know it as well - been to Maui at least 1/2 dozen times if you have questions about either of the touristy areas.

For shorediving Maui is the best - many of the beaches are also shore dives,
Older listing but it hasn't changed much.Scuba Shore Diving Region: Hawaiian Islands

Last edited:
I concur with Schwob--talk to the locals and find out what the local conditions are. If you find a good dive shop they will tell you where the good shore diving is. If they don't, find another dive shop. On the West coast the shore diving is usually good (if not the best) and is much better in the morning. Around 1:00 PM or so the trade winds start blowing and I avoid the ocean until they calm down in the late afternoon. According to some of the locals feeding time is dusk and dawn so I avoid those times too. I did shore diving from Maui and it was very easy entry and if you get there early you don't (in some places, at least) have to walk far with your gear. You are required to have a diver's flag float on Maui and my guess is that's true of the other islands. Most people take it out a ways, tie it to a rock, and pick it up on the way back.

I'm OW now. Only 9 dives so far. I feel like I should have someone show me how to shore dive.

I thought about camping but not sure how that would work with Scuba gear, unless I stuff it in a storage unit with the rest of my stuff.

Maui is like 3-4x the cost of Oahu and Big Island in terms of Air BnBs, Hostels, etc. Oahu makes sense long-term if I'm gonna get an engineering job and make a normal salary, but like I said I"m open to whatever else happens.

I've thought about renting a car and staying in campgrounds and then I could lock my stuff in the trunk. Maybe some places have storage lockers--I don't know. Do you have a tank or are you going to be renting? You might check Craig's List when you get there for things like weights so you don't have to keep paying rent. When I was there a tank rental was something like $1 more than an air fill so the need to buy a tank might not be immediate. That was a few years ago so things may have changed.

Before engineering I was a carpenter, and a maintenance guy at a ski resort and taught skiing for 6 years. I’ve also worked retail and Starbucks. I plan on becoming a certified piano tech and I can pretty much fix anything. I also worked on a farm and can drive, steer, and fly all kinds of things. Between all that I have a bit of an entrepreneurial dream. And in Hawaii it seems like multiple sources of income is the norm (outsider perspective).

My engineering has been turbine engine design and now environmental control systems for aircraft, so I’m thinking ‘green’ HVAC design on Oahu could be a good option to get started with some income while I figure out what else I want to do (they’re all very much related). Oahu has some openings for that but it’s just one idea.

The first engine I designed was a blast, and solving a major problem on the Dreamliner engine (787) is my career highlight. From there it’s all been down hill and I’m tired of giving up my energy and passion to shareholder pockets. Engineering in America isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. I’d rather have less and be more in tune with my community and environment and using my skills to improve either or both.

I’ll have a little money from selling things and separation benefits so I won’t be too hard up. No hotels but I can rent a room which is all I need at first.

I've been to the big island several times and the diving is great. The entire west coast of the island is ripe with shore diving opportunities. IMHO, the Puako area and 2 step are the best shore dive locations. As for employment, check out Keck Observatory, based in Waimea. They occasionally advertise ( Current Career Opportunities at W. M. Keck Observatory) for engineers for equipment upgrades, maintenance, etc. Someone has to keep those scopes running. I looked into it myself at one point and really seriously considered it. Didn't pursue it as I am gainfully employed in Iowa. And yes, there are dive opportunities here, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom