Planning next trip - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
Blundercurrent? (You must know I'm the OTHER "Doc")

I don't hear a lot of positive experiences, or for that matter- anything good- coming out of that rag.

They print unqualified (read inexperienced) trip reports from anyone even though they have good reason to know they aren't the truth. It is used to fill space and create another author/salesman for the over priced rag. The bad incusions are defended under the guise of "we print whatever we get submitted".

I guess we'll agree to disagree on that one - I have found plenty of useful information, and well written, honest reviews of many resorts in UC. Yes, some of reviews are pretty weak - but the strong ones more than make up for them. There are plenty of positive experiences noted from various locations in the 2004 Chapbook. And unless the reviewers are lying - many indicate high levels of experience.

My two cents- Mantas in Hawaii- Big island has the organized Manta dives which are cool and a good chance of seeing them on regular dives-also saw lots of dolphins and turtles and a shark or two. Theres some great shore diving and you can stay in little B&B's on the captain cook coast away from the toursit hype.
second would be Phuket, Thailand- Buddy is living there right now and he keeps sending me pics of Manta's and Whale sharks he regualrly encounters- aparently when the seas are a little rougher (next couple of months) you gets lots of biggies .
enjoy

I have to agree with munkispank. Hawaii has great diving. Oahu and Maui can be a bit touristy, but I still love diving here. But the Big Island is not nearly as touristy. The manta dive is supposed to be one of the most spectacular dives. I missed the opportunity last time I was there unfortunately and have regretted it since. I hear that huge mantas are just amazing. Also, the lava flow is active again so you may be lucky enough to catch that while you are here.

Aloha

Back
Top Bottom