Planning our first trip to Curaçao fro Jan, ‘22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m putting together a mid January “dive and explore” trip for my wife, myself and at least one other couple. Each couple contains one diver and and one non diver who snorkels. I’ve read most of the reviews on here, so I already have some great info. Basic plan is probably 4-5 half days of diving with at least 2 night dives, mostly shore except a boat to Watamula, with 2 days for exploring Willemstad and the parks in the north. Depending on where we stay we will be able to do some afternoon exploring, as well as some group snorkeling. I’m already leaning toward staying in Westpunt but feel I need to add options mid island and in/around Willemstad for the group to consider, so I’ll start there;

1. Lions Dive is on my list in Willemstad, and Oasis Coral (thanks @markmud for the write up) for the mid island. Are there other good options that would be worth considering in these areas, realizing that “mid island” is pretty vague? Also, Sunscape is a bit out of the budget for this trip. One caveat, we would prefer to be on or viewing the ocean.

2. Vehicles are the next question. I like @tkaelin ’s idea of diving the house reef and sites with shops. Do we need trucks, or will the little Kias that most places offer be enough? If the Kias are enough for diving will we need something more aggressive (truck/suv) for the parks and exploring the east coast?

3. The main contenders in the west are the usual suspects, Nos Krusero, AllWest, Marazul Dive Resort, Lagun Blou. I’ve added Rancho El Sobrino, even though there is no ocean view, and as if 4 other choices weren’t enough. Does anyone have any info on it? I know that Sublime Diving is now their on site dive shop, and Cactus Cafe is now their on site restaurant, but that’s it.

Ok, I think that’s everything. I do want to thank everyone who has done the reviews, and everyone who added input to them. I’ve been a member of SB for just over 4 years now and this is the type of thing that has kept me around, and that SB members do so well. It’s just a shame that @drrich2 hasn’t been to Curaçao, because I think all my questions would already be answered, !

Erik

I have been once, with the Scuba Board Surge in Jan. 2019:
Curacao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019
I stayed at Sunscape Resorts Curacao, and it was nice, but yes, it was a pricy trip overall. Lions Dive is nearby. I didn't feel the need for a rental vehicle as I wasn't shore diving (had family to spend time with), so I haven't experienced that.

I'd like to go back and try the Westpunt area, but I still find the details of planning a Curacao trip heavy on the shore diving (which is what I'd be out to do) a bit complicated (e.g.: time to and between dive sites, which do and don't have topside amenities/rent or bring your own tanks, etc...).

I have been once, with the Scuba Board Surge in Jan. 2019:
Curacao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019
I stayed at Sunscape Resorts Curacao, and it was nice, but yes, it was a pricy trip overall. Lions Dive is nearby. I didn't feel the need for a rental vehicle as I wasn't shore diving (had family to spend time with), so I haven't experienced that.

I'd like to go back and try the Westpunt area, but I still find the details of planning a Curacao trip heavy on the shore diving (which is what I'd be out to do) a bit complicated (e.g.: time to and between dive sites, which do and don't have topside amenities/rent or bring your own tanks, etc...).

I read your review from the Surge and Sunscape sounds great, especially with children. My wife and I are the type that like to get out and explore, so a vehicle will be a must have.

I agree with your logistics planning issues because it does seem so different from Bonaire. I’m trying to approach it by not thinking of it in those terms. I’m thinking that wherever we end up we’ll dive right there a fair bit, and see if we can find out which sites have facilities. That will give us a better idea.

You can get tank packages like Bonaire. Just my personal opinion...but if diving from Westpunt, there are more interesting sites that require you bring tanks as opposed to onsite rentals. Lagun and Alice (if you don't use Go West for your pkg) would be the exception, but you can still bring your own tanks as you would have to rent them anyway. Day trips to Cas Abou or Porto Marie are easy to fit in. Plus if you stay someplace like Marazul that has a fantastic house reef, you're going to want local access to tanks. It does depend on how much diving you are planning to do and how long you are staying as to cost effectiveness, but if you factor in not having to worry about it, IMHO it gets really simple fast. You can make it as complicated or as simple as you want. :)

I've had good luck renting & diving out of a mid-size car and they are less expensive, more readily available, and nicer to drive if you are going to make a few trips to Willemstad, which by the way is an easy 40 min or so drive on a very nice road from Westpunt. All of this is pre-covid so I don't know how the condo, tank rental, dive shop, car rental, etc. infrastructure has changed. With that caveat, I'll be happy to PM you the specifics I've used in the past as I don't want to be a cheerleader, if you want.

I really miss Curacao (and Bonaire) and hope to get back soon. Gotta luv "dive freedom." :bounce::bounce::bounce::):clearmask:

@AdivingBel any info you would like to send me would be greatly appreciated!

Looks like Sublime Dive at Rancho rents to the general public, not just Rancho, so that would make staying at Marazul even easier.

Thanks for the input.

I'd rent an SUV/Truck and nothing else. Many of the sites are away from the main paved road with rocky/sandy paths where a regular car won't do. It is also safe to lug the dive equipment in the bed of the pick up truck than in the trunk of a small passenger car. Just rent a truck/suv.

I'd rent an SUV/Truck and nothing else. Many of the sites are away from the main paved road with rocky/sandy paths where a regular car won't do.

Been to a lot of them in a car...just go slowly and carefully (not accounting for washed out roads or poor maintenance post-covid, so that could be a factor :)).

Been to a lot of them in a car...just go slowly and carefully (not accounting for washed out roads or poor maintenance post-covid, so that could be a factor :)).

And may be even a bike or a wheelbarrow, but WHY? Just because you can do it or have done, it doesn't mean that it is the best option or a safe option.

And may be even a bike or a wheelbarrow, but WHY? Just because you can do it or have done, it doesn't mean that it is the best option or a safe option.

You had your say. No need to be facetious towards others.

Because it's less expensive, the car is nicer to drive, and in the past trucks weren't as ubiquitous as say Bonaire. Safe?? really?? now you're just arguing...if you want a truck get one, just saying I've dived many of the "dirt road" sites in the past from a car and it wasn't a big deal. Admittedly post-covid road maint/washouts might now be a factor. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom