Plastic Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In hopes of going on a tropical dive vacation soon, I bought a plastic backplate to reduce my weight both in the suitcase and in the water. Supposedly a lot of people use plastic backplates but a search at this site brought up no threads. So my question is, if there is anybody out there who uses a plastic backplate, how do you make it sturdy in the water, just by tightening the cam straps? I've been told I cannot use my STA and I'm not confident the plastic backplate will hold the tank so it doesn't move around. Also, the cam strap is too short on the bottom of the plate (I use two cam straps). I measured it and 35 inches seems to be a standard size for cam straps. Does anyone know where I can get a longer one?

Sure. Heavy duty from Piranha.

doesn't that plate have a ridge down the middle to act as an STA? That plate is not designed to be used as a DIR style backplate, it is for a single cam band vintage style diving.

I've used the plastic diverite plate with al80's and Worthington lp108's with no problem. I used an STA with no problem. If that Piranha has a ridge it may get in the way of (or eliminate the need for) an sta.

What BC do you use with it? (Just curious)

If you were asking me, I use it with a diverite rec exp (no bungees) wing. The wing is in my profile photo with an lp108 on the back.

I was asking anyone as I was curious about these backpack thingies. Yes, diverite is what I figured -- or a horse collar maybe?

doesn't that plate have a ridge down the middle to act as an STA? That plate is not designed to be used as a DIR style backplate, it is for a single cam band vintage style diving.

Piranha rep assured me I could use it with my wing (I dive an OMS) and did not need an STA. The plate has a ridge which may be enough to stabilize the wing once I figure out how to attach the cam straps since the way I'm going it makes the straps too short.

Back
Top Bottom