plastic backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beau640

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Switching up some gear for light weight travel (have a trip coming up in a couple of months). I'm in the market for a plastic backplate as even with my aluminum plate I'm overweighted with a single tank if I'm just in a rash guard/bathing suit. I know Tobin makes a kick ass kydex plate. I thought some other companies made some plastic stand alone plates however I'm having trouble finding any on their websites (I thought Dive Rite used to make one but I can only find steel plates to buy by themselves on their website now). Is the DSS plate really the only option?

I've got one of the dive rite ABS plates. It's really not significantly lighter than an aluminum plate. I have no doubt the DSS kydex plate is better. The DSS plate comes with a premium price tag at $214 on their site. I think I paid around $75 for the diverite. I got mine at a local shop, but as you discovered I don't think they're being made anymore. Google only turns up second hand diverite plates on sites like ebay.

You might also set your sights on searching for a "freedom plate." Google it.

Switching up some gear for light weight travel (have a trip coming up in a couple of months). I'm in the market for a plastic backplate as even with my aluminum plate I'm overweighted with a single tank if I'm just in a rash guard/bathing suit. I know Tobin makes a kick ass kydex plate. I thought some other companies made some plastic stand alone plates however I'm having trouble finding any on their websites (I thought Dive Rite used to make one but I can only find steel plates to buy by themselves on their website now). Is the DSS plate really the only option?
Here is another possible option that was announced last fall (but don't see it on their site yet) - not cheap though:

Halcyon Unveils New Carbon Fiber Backplate | reefdivers.io

I have used the Dive Rite ABS BP. I wasn't terribly impressed. You have to consider there's probably a reason it's no longer made. The real issue is, however, my Dive Rite AL BP is only 2 lbs negative. Doesn't seem worth it to pay a lot of money for a plastic or CF BP just to save to save a pound or two.

I have used the Dive Rite ABS BP. I wasn't terribly impressed. You have to consider there's probably a reason it's no longer made. The real issue is, however, my Dive Rite AL BP is only 2 lbs negative. Doesn't seem worth it to pay a lot of money for a plastic or CF BP just to save to save a pound or two.

A number of ABS plates have been offered in the past. The fundamental problem with all of them was cracking. Straight ABS (vs impact modified ABS) can be brittle, more so if it isn't stress relieved after molding or forming. Add to that the loads imposed by wing nuts and washers bearing directly on the plastic in the center channel.

The propensity for ABS plates to crack has lead some tech instructors to ban their use in their courses.

I elected to use Kydex, which is an alloy of polycarb and PVC. It's very tough, the opposite of brittle. Think bend not break. Then we added 16 gauge (.06") stainless reinforcements in the center channel to deal with the loads from wing nuts, and at the harness slots. Doing so allowed the use of 1/8" kydex vs 1/4 or thicker ABS.

Kydex is widely used for gun and knife holsters and in commercial aircraft interiors. Tough stuff, fairly easy to thermoform, but much higher cost than ABS.

The result is a lightweight, slightly flexible plate that won't crack.

The down side is cost. 6 Parts to waterjet cut and debur, and 13-14 stainless rivets to install. The kydex plates require about twice the labor and just about the same material costs as our stainless plates.

Tobin

I own and like my DSS Kydex, but I also have this: OxyCheq "Dog Bone"

upload_2017-5-11_11-38-24.png

I really loved this one a couple weeks ago in Key Largo. Partnered with a HOG 23# wing.

This is for a warm water vacation right? That usually means a single Aluminum 80. Why not just use one of these:
Aqua Tank Back Pack with Straps

I used one with a wing for a couple of decades. They are very comfortable. My biggest complaint is it only supports one cam band. Not a problem if you know how to properly adjust it.

I believe the Kydex and Oxycheq dogbone plate weigh about he same as an aluminum plate.

If you really want lightweight and no additional negative buoyancy, consider a soft backplate like Mares XR, Oxycheq ultralight, Apeks ultralight. I dive the Oxycheq ultralight with DSS 17 lb wing.

Back
Top Bottom