plastic backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a kydex plate weighs less than 1 lb which is less than the dog bone plate and close to 2lbs less than an aluminum which is why I'm interested in it. I'm looking for a more traditional backplate shaped like the kydex just didn't know if DSS was the only one making that kind anymore as it seems dive rite has stopped.

I think a kydex plate weighs less than 1 lb which is less than the dog bone plate and close to 2lbs less than an aluminum which is why I'm interested in it. I'm looking for a more traditional backplate shaped like the kydex just didn't know if DSS was the only one making that kind anymore as it seems dive rite has stopped.

My mistake. You are correct. Kydex plate is less than 1 lb negative buoyancy.

apex ultralight appears to be on sale all over the place. I think it's a soft(-er) plate though.

The Oxy ultralight, Mares XR and Apeks ultralight are all soft backplates and similar. I dive the Oxy, but like the additional attachment points of the Mares and Apeks. The Oxy and Mares are close in price around $50. Haven't seen the Apeks for less than $85. Has it recently dropped in price ?

The Oxy ultralight, Mares XR and Apeks ultralight are all soft backplates and similar. I dive the Oxy, but like the additional attachment points of the Mares and Apeks. The Oxy and Mares are close in price around $50. Haven't seen the Apeks for less than $85. Has it recently dropped in price ?

Google pops up $99. Back when I was shopping for my kit I remember considering it and deciding it wasn't worth the price tag -- don't remember the number, but I think it was a bit more than $100.

The company that was down the road from Diverite that was making the plates went out of business. Diverite recovered the molds, but does not have an extruder to make the plates.

All of the remaining stock was sold to Cave Country. We bought every plate that Cave Country had left over in 2015 or so.

I think the plates are great. I did TEC 40, 45, and 50 and then later on the TEC Deep instructors course with one of the plates. I currently also use one on a weekly basis for rec training. No problems so far after hundreds of dives with both doubles and sta singles.

If there is any problem with them is that they are too easy to drill in comparison to ss. As a result, I have mounting holes and slots all over mine for different things.

If you can get your hands on one, even used, go for it.

Sidemount? :D Had to be said! Sorry :p

It actually works quite well for al80s with a Diverite rec bladder with the proper drings and bungees. I have used this setup 36 miles offshore without problem. I haven't tried it with steels. But then again, there are mostly al80s on the other end of our trips. I would imagine that there is not enough rear buoyancy for large steels..

I had a discussion with Diverite about the use of a plate and wing in this manner. The basic response was that it could be done, but was not as optimal as a dedicated purpose designed sidemount setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom