Plastic Buckles (Fastex etc.) Source? Webbing source?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is standard weight belt webbing? Nylon or poly? Same question for harness webbing>
Good question. I use the same (nylon) webbing for both. From the Dive Rite Express website: 'The choice of Nylon vs Polypro webbing for harness rigging is a personal preference as they are approximately equal in durability. The Polypro is even softer than the Nylon, but the Polypro's thickness makes it more difficult to weave.' If you look at various manufacturer product descriptions, more often than not you will see nylon listed as the harness webbing material (e.g. OMS), although Dive Rite harnesses are polypro.

What is standard weight belt webbing? Nylon or poly? Same question for harness webbing>

Also, nylon will stretch more than polypro so it depends on your application. We use polypro exclusively for our Scuba products. We tested both and polypro didn't show the wear and tear nearly as quickly.

Not sure what part of the country you are from, but if you have a whitewater outfitter in your area, they may be able to help you.

I am into DIY mode for one of my Seaquest back inflates. The selection and location of just the right material is surprisingly tricky. For my purposes, I need to replace the original 1 1/2 inch nylon webbing. This fabric is 0.050 thickness and has fairly high friction. I mistakenly bought some nylon that turned out to be slick and soft, like seat belt material. Well, that might be OK for crotch straps but harness webbing for my BC needs to have a rougher surface to generate friction. This goes back to the type of harness arrangement on this BC which has numerous Fastex slides and buckles which operate more reliability where the buckles can grip the webbing with some authority and yet, feed reliably when required. After checking, the Seaquest webbing is identical to the military webbing used on my old UDT vests (SEAL type, surface swimmers). I've placed another order but......will it work?

About stretch; wet nylon will stretch 2%. It might be better to use poly for the tank clamp but I haven't noticed any problems with harnesses. It happens but suit compression has a lot more effect on harness tension.

The webbing materials offered on ebay are generally not suitable. They are too light and soft for harnesses and weight belts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom