Plastic dip tube -- should I be concerned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcd_dvr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just picked a couple of Beuchat Y Valves and found that its got plastic dip tubes. All my tank valves have metal tubes and this is the first I've seen to be plastic. Am I just being paranoid about this? And can I replace them with a metal tube? Thanks.

Enrique

Never heard of such a thing. I don't see how they'd be a problem unless they're a really low temp plastic that could melt if someone slam filled the tank or left it out in the South Padre sun all day.
Personally, I'd just replace 'em... and eliminate all worries :)
><)))'>

Definitely, get rid of them. They can break apart and the small bits can block valve and regulator 1st stage filter. Better no dip tube than plastic. (They harden with age)

Dale

I would not feel comfortable knowing they are plastic, replace with brass/steel.

bletso is spot on....I got an older Luxfer with a j valve for free because the P.O. said it wouldn't breath consistant. I slapped a DIN on it and noticed little bits of orange plactic all thru it

Thanks everyone, will go ahead and replace them.

Happy holidays and safe diving.

These plastic snorkel tubes were used on US diver valves. They issued a recall long ago. The dry air caused them to become brittle and clog the valve. This is something that should have been caught during a VIP/Hydro. If they are US diver valves you might be able to take them to a US Diver/Aqualung dealer and have them serviced for free. I notice you are in Austin. Try Tom's Dive and Swim The Owner used to be and may still be an Aqualung Rep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom