Plastic snap bolts for travel kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David P

Reaction score
I dive backplate in typical GUE fashion. I also do a lot of travel for work and take my gear along with me. Unfortunately I have a SS backplate with a weighted STA. I was sitting the other day thinking what would make an ultimate travel kit... ok replace SS backplate with Aluminum, get rid of weighted STA, get the slightly smaller and much thinner SPG... could go with a titanium first stage... but I like my Apeks and dont really want to buy MORE regs... then I was thinking what adds unneeded weight... Hmm, could replace the SS Drings with plastic, aha! plastic snap bolts! I have them tied to my primary, my spg, my 2 flash lights. if I replace those with plastic that would save some weight... I did a little searching but all I could find was the key ring holder. Ok SPG and primary dont have to be super strong (little worried about backup lights but mostly rely on inner tube bands to keep secure, but I doubt the bolts come with SS springs in them. Anyone have ideas or links?

You're scaring me, bolt snaps don't weigh very much :). If weight is a serious issue, just carry the bolt snaps in your pocket.

I use small bolt snaps in warm water, Al plate saves a ton of weight, try a smaller wing (my tropical wing has 20lbs lift), and drop the batteries from your backup lights before checking in.

I hand carry backup lights, regs, light can, compass, bottom timer and gas analyzer in a regulator bag.

I've read OMS slipstreams are lighter than Jets, but haven't tried them.

Last edited:
I don't think replacing SS bolt snaps with plastic ones save you any meaningful weight. All bolt snaps together dont weight much. Beside what Kathy suggest, you can also replace your weighted STA to a Oxycheq travel (2 pieces) STA, cost is like $20, probably save your 2lb there. For plate, If you are using H standard size SS plate, but don't want to spend money on H AL plate, take a look at OMS. Their size and size is 99% the same. Even the H storage pack will fit onto OMS plate.

Ditch the metal plate and sta's altogether and go with either a Kidex or soft plate and get a smaller wing. The entire kit can be brought down to under 4 lbs and that is with 3 SS Drings.

Basically I travel for a living. Unfortunately here in Asia you are only allowed 25 kilos total, so its about half as back home. I already have a nice small wing, I use slip streams (even back home in So Cal drysuit diving in doubles and deco) and use the smallest snap bolts I could get from Nix. Yes I thought of the miflex hoses, I will admit I havent been on the scuba boards very much lately but back when I was a regular there were too many failure reports... maybe they have gotten better? Carrying on a bunch of stuff is a pain in the butt for me, if I were doing a vacation trip, yes I carry my can light, regs, and computer. But like I said I basically travel for a living so I have to pack clothes and tools and scuba gear is my little extra for weekend get aways (I do carry on my Gibson Les Paul to keep me sane sitting in hotel rooms). In May (or was it June?) I was in 7 different countries not including layovers...

cut lots of weight and rent.....

David, first... plastic bolt snaps? You're gonna die.

Second, ditch the can light and get a light weight LED primary.

Third, you can store your can light with me. :wink:
Thats rich coming from a guy who rides motorcycles and in helicopter smaller than my shoe boxes :)

Robert, I thought I left my primary with you? Maybe I left it in storage, if you want to use it let me know.

I rented gear once....ONCE! (sorry like the movie Johnny Dangerously)

I really doubt I will find any platic... err excuse me DELRON snap bolts with stainless steel springs... but its a fun mental exercise trying to figure out how I can greatly reduce travel weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom