Plate size for short (5'2") person with long torso?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiburonarizona

Registered
Reaction score
I've learned so much from this forum and am about ready to buy my first BP/W, but have a dilema on what size backplate I should get. I'm 5'2" about 120 pounds, and thought a short backplate (13") would be best, based on what I've read here. However after taking my torso measurement (16.5" from shoulder to waist, if I'm measuring correctly), and making some backplate mockups, I am now rethinking my choice.

My observations: Since the waist webbing holes are a few inches higher than the bottom of the backplate, the bottom of the backplate should be at least a few inches below my waist. Yes?

If this is true, the 13" plate (plate bottom is right at my waist) will be too short and the waist band will ride too high. (The black "string" was tied roughly about belly button height). I realize the mockup placement for the short plate is a little lower than the standard plate mockup, but you get the idea.

Definitely don't want too long of a backplate hitting my hips, but too short almost seems worse! Do I just drop the placement of the short plate and call it good?

I'd love to hear feedback and suggestions from you BP/W experts.

Attachments

• 20190912_standard 15.75 plate.jpg
    20190912_standard 15.75 plate.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190912_short 13 plate.jpg
    20190912_short 13 plate.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 61
Very similar to my wife, 5’3” and long torso......regular plate works fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom