Playa Del Carmen Reefs/Health and possible OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lm17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello - Have a friend who is looking to do his OW. He's a very fit and strong 70 yr old male. I suggested PDC for the following reasons:

- Close to New York City (where we are)
- No real current so water work and check outs should be enjoyable
- Warm, clear water with creatures and reefs to give him a solid intro to tropical diving
- Ease of travel and tourism for an American 70 yr old single male (No Habla Espanol)

Questions:

- Have not been to PDC in 20 years - are the reefs and sea life still relatively healthy and would they still be a good representation of Caribbean diving (i.e. I recall decent reef fish populations, healthy corals and colors, (many) turtles and crustaceans, the occasional bull shark)?
- Any recos for good shops/instuctors in PDC that will emphasize safety, buoyancy and all around diving competency, safety and skills? (and not just a churn and burn operation collecting checks and handing out certs)
- Accomodations near or associated with said needs?

Thanks you all in advance for your thoughts,insight, candid opinions and (I think) any humor that may come with your recos and responses.

- LM17

he is gonna need a medical waiver.

our fav shop is TankHa. you can contact matt there.

ocean diving is hit and miss there. we have had really nice dives where we see all kinds of life and have great conditions, and then the next time is extremely rough, fairly strong current (not as bad as coz), with low viz.

I'd suggest Puerto Morelos. Lots of shallow reefs and fish. Dorado Buceo is good. Dive Home too.

Jardine's Reef is a very nice shallow spot. I would have loved to done my OW dives there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom