Playa Del Coco Dive op recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillpusher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone,

I'll be trying out Costa Rica for the first time at the end of May and have settled on the Coco area to stay (VRBO condo). I've read great things about several dive ops (Rich Coast, Rocket Frog, Sirenas), so I was hoping y'all could help me narrow things down.

Things I'm looking for:
3 dives per day, small groups, long bottom times, can stow my gear between dives (I don't care about setup. I actually prefer to set up my own), can pick up/drop off in the Coco area (I won't have a vehicle), and guides with a good eye for the tiny critters (seahorses, frogfish, nudis, etc) and a slow pace (since I do photography). I realize the main draw there is the large stuff, but I enjoy the small stuff just as much.

EDIT: Nevermind about pick up/drop off service. Looks like rental cars are insanely cheap there.

Thanks in advance!

When we were there Rocket Frogs normally did 2 morning dives and did limit their bottom times, SIs as well. The one time we signed up for the 3rd tank we squeezed it in "before lunch". However Google shows them in Playa del Coco now, they must have moved? -- Back then they were in Ocotal and most people had to drive in for the dive, I'm sure that affected their schedules.

They did (do?) have 2 fast RHIBs that can get to Cats and Bats faster than the other guys' boats but I believe there's minimal group size needed to pay for the gas etc. IIRC there were 6 of us, that may or may not fit your definition of "small".

They're very good overall and IIRC Nere is a marine biologist: good at critter ID and spotting seahorses etc.

When we were there Rocket Frogs normally did 2 morning dives and did limit their bottom times, SIs as well. The one time we signed up for the 3rd tank we squeezed it in "before lunch". However Google shows them in Playa del Coco now, they must have moved? -- Back then they were in Ocotal and most people had to drive in for the dive, I'm sure that affected their schedules.

They did (do?) have 2 fast RHIBs that can get to Cats and Bats faster than the other guys' boats but I believe there's minimal group size needed to pay for the gas etc. IIRC there were 6 of us, that may or may not fit your definition of "small".

They're very good overall and IIRC Nere is a marine biologist: good at critter ID and spotting seahorses etc.

Interesting. Thanks. A six person group isn’t “small” I guess, but that’s fine, I just prefer to not be on a cattle boat with 8-10 per guide. My biggest concern about what you mentioned is the limited bottom time. Are the majority of the dives there spent that deep where your NDL just won’t allow for hour dives, or were they just cutting them short regardless? Also, what is “Sls”?

Thanks

40-minute Surface Intervals (from sit down to start gearing up, so it's really more like 50+) is what my computer does not like. It's not really NDL: the dives are deeper than your average Caribbean reef dive, and more square profiles, but not that deep. I believe it was more the scheduling: if you wait for everyone to get in and want to be back to the dock with enough time for them to drive wherever for lunch, it limits your time. That's why I mentioned the location: their schedules may have changed if they moved shop to where all the people are.

I've been there a couple of times and went out with Rich Coast, multiple days on each trip. Their team was good each time and boats weren't overcrowded. Enjoy Coco.

I use Rich Coast Diving. Dove many times with them over the years. I am a photographer who prefers macro and they always work with me. Ask for Sam. She will be great for your needs. I usually do 3-4 dives a day with them. Either 2&2 or 3 in a row.Talk to Brenda and she will answer all your questions. Have a Great Trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom