Playa del Coco (mid-August 2019)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yippy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I am considering diving in CR from mid-August. I have read quite a bit online and from this forum about diving conditions, weather, where to dive etc. I will be travelling alone. I am not a micro person therefore anything from mobula, various kinds of rays, school of fishes, sharks, whales etc are welcome. I am probably there for 2.5 weeks or so, therefore I can give and take and dive when the conditions are "favourable". In-between I can do non-diving activities. I won't be diving in Cano Island because I do not want to rush from North to South nor do I think August has the right conditions for it. Cano will be another time.

My biggest concern is it is the low season. My questions are:

1. For those who are familiar with diving in CR during August time, will there be enough divers to go to the Bats?

2. May I know if there is a cap on the duration of the dive?

3. Since its the rainy season, i read that the "dirt" from the mainland will flow into the sea and that the viz after the rain will be bad. I am perplex why I find some posts stating that the viz in August is great. Enlighten me please.

4. Are there any local dive sites that feels like an "aquarium"? *lol* I will do some local diving together with Bats and skip Cat because I really want to see the oceanic manta and they may not be there during August and the conditions may not be good. However never say never.

5. I don't have much experience diving in super low viz ie < 10m. I read the rain comes like clock work ie rain in the afternoon or evening. If I do a 2 tank in the morning, in theory I should be able to avoid the rain and perhaps may have a reasonable viz (hoping at least 10-15m). If I opt to do a 3 tank, the viz for my 3rd dive may just not be great (?) From experience, do you think in general, this may be the case?

6. How bad will the mosquitoes situation in August? I am looking at somewhere cheap to stay, not luxury hotels with pools. Somewhere simple and clean but I noticed most places do not have mosquitoes nets.

7. M&M Beach Hotel seems good but it also seems to be "far" from the dive centers and where most eateries are. In terms of accommodation location, I like to stay somewhere central, close to the dive centers, food and public transport so I can do stuff and walk around during dry time. Any recommendations? I won't want to cook so I will be eating out. I like to eat like the local. It seems the sodas are the place to go? May I know roughly the cost of dinner should I be expecting? I don't drink nor go partying. Just food.

8. What are the ratio like for the dive centers? 1:4? 1 DM to 4 divers? I prefer small groups.

Thank you!

Thanks Dan_T. Diving over at Coco is a bit out of my budget. I would most definitely love to dive there..one day when I have saved enough! :)

I have a trip report from late Aug / early Sep of 2014 posted here. Enjoyed it thoroughly and would definitely go back. Traveled alone on that one fwiw.

Hi @yippy

My family spent a week in Costa Rica back in 2006. The resort and dive operator we used are no longer in business, Ocotal Beach Resort/Ocotal Diving. I have heard good things about Rocket Frog Divers, located in the same general area. We visited in August and split our activities between diving and nondiving. We had pretty good visibility, maybe 30-60 feet, the water was around 80 degrees.

We did 2 local dives and saw White-Tipped Reef Sharks, Stingrays, and Green Morays. We did 2 dives at Catalinas and saw more White-Tipped Sharks, Eagle Rays, Cownose Rays, and Devil Rays. At Bat Islands we saw Bull Sharks, a Manta, and more Eagle Rays. Being mostly familiar with the Caribbean, the reef fish were interesting to us and included King Angelfish, Moorish Idols, Bumphead Parrotfish, Guineafowl Puffers and variations of Butterflyfish, Surgeonfish, and others that we were not familiar with.

I enjoyed my diving in this area very much, no idea what has transpired in the last dozen years.

I am in Tamarindo now and have been diving with Tamarindo diving. Davide has been great. I have seen lots of rays and whitetip sharks and big schools of jacks on every dive. These dives were at Catalina island. They say no viz on Bat island this time of year.

I have a trip report from late Aug / early Sep of 2014 posted here. Enjoyed it thoroughly and would definitely go back. Traveled alone on that one fwiw.

Thank you @Sushi Boy. Your report was one of the older thread I read! How did you find the weather? Does it rain so much in the afternoon that you virtually can't do much? Who did you stay with may I ask?

Hi @yippy

My family spent a week in Costa Rica back in 2006. The resort and dive operator we used are no longer in business, Ocotal Beach Resort/Ocotal Diving. I have heard good things about Rocket Frog Divers, located in the same general area. We visited in August and split our activities between diving and nondiving. We had pretty good visibility, maybe 30-60 feet, the water was around 80 degrees.

We did 2 local dives and saw White-Tipped Reef Sharks, Stingrays, and Green Morays. We did 2 dives at Catalinas and saw more White-Tipped Sharks, Eagle Rays, Cownose Rays, and Devil Rays. At Bat Islands we saw Bull Sharks, a Manta, and more Eagle Rays. Being mostly familiar with the Caribbean, the reef fish were interesting to us and included King Angelfish, Moorish Idols, Bumphead Parrotfish, Guineafowl Puffers and variations of Butterflyfish, Surgeonfish, and others that we were not familiar with.

I enjoyed my diving in this area very much, no idea what has transpired in the last dozen years.

Thank you @scubadada. Do you think August will be too quiet for the dive operators to even find enough divers to go to Bat? I have not dive in the Caribbean before but I am more familiar with Indonesia. Can you vaguely recall on the weather? *lol* It's their rainy season!

I am in Tamarindo now and have been diving with Tamarindo diving. Davide has been great. I have seen lots of rays and whitetip sharks and big schools of jacks on every dive. These dives were at Catalina island. They say no viz on Bat island this time of year.
Thank you @Skb. That sounds amazing! Thou I wish I am diving over there now than sit in the office typing this message to you! *lol* school of jacks! Which dive site is that? I love diving with lots of fishes.

I stayed at Toro Blanco. Their website doesn't work anymore, so it may have changed ownership. Not fancy, but walking distance to the beach, main road & dive shops. Glancing at a map, it may be called the Pura-Vida now.

I honestly don't remember much about any rain. If it did rain, it wasn't enough to keep me from doing anything. Maybe an hour or so here and there, but certainly not all-day deluges. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom