Playa del Coco (mid-August 2019)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you @scubadada. Do you think August will be too quiet for the dive operators to even find enough divers to go to Bat? I have not dive in the Caribbean before but I am more familiar with Indonesia. Can you vaguely recall on the weather? *lol* It's their rainy season!
I'm afraid my experience a dozen years ago will be of no use to you. We had enough divers on the three days I described to do the trips. We had very nice weather during out visit and did other outdoor activities in addition to diving

Best of luck

Hi, I've stayed near Playa Del Coco the last 3 Augusts! I can answer your questions.

1) I've done Bats 6 times with Rocket Frog Divers, never cancelled, they go several times per week. This past year I was supposed to do a local dive for my last dive, the boat to Bats showed up and took me there instead for no extra charge. 5 out of 6 dives had bull sharks, one dive had 15 circling us for 40 mins:)

2) Local dives are generally 45-60 mins depending on the number of divers. Bats was less since it's deeper, around 35-45 mins per dive, also circling bull sharks will cause you to use a bit more air:)

3) Viz isn't as good as the Caribbean, but generally it's about 30-50 feet on average.

4) Local diving is pretty good too, lots of schooling fish, sting rays, eagle rays, white tips. Crazy amount of puffer fish too.

5) As stated earlier, no issues with viz. A couple years ago there was a red tide when I arrived and the viz was 3-5 ft. 2 days later it was back to normal.

6) Costa Rica has many distinct areas, having said that, I don't recall seeing any mosquitos in my 6 weeks there around the country.

7) I can't answer this.

8) about 4-1, I had 4 dives this past year where it was just me and the DM, they still went out for 1 diver so I don't think they cancel very often for not having enough divers. Typically, the bats boat had 6-8 divers, local 3-8.

I highly recommend Rocket Frog Divers, they have a shop in Flamingo Beach as well as Coco Beach. They will pick you up within reason as well. I've been to quite a few places diving, and this area is my favorite by far.

Here is a video I put together from Bats, Catalina and local sites from this summer: https://youtu.be/F-oK0-Yw3iA

Also, don't count out Catalina, I did for the first 2 years and finally went this past summer, very clear, big schools of fish, 40 or so white tip sharks, very nice dives!

I stayed at Toro Blanco. Their website doesn't work anymore, so it may have changed ownership. Not fancy, but walking distance to the beach, main road & dive shops. Glancing at a map, it may be called the Pura-Vida now.

I honestly don't remember much about any rain. If it did rain, it wasn't enough to keep me from doing anything. Maybe an hour or so here and there, but certainly not all-day deluges. YMMV.
Thank you @Sushi Boy. I will take a look at Pura-Vida :). Do you think you will return again? You know, like some places in the world you will definitely return in a heart beat and some is a maybe - not in a hurry. What's your take on CR diving? Have you done Cano Island?

I'm afraid my experience a dozen years ago will be of no use to you. We had enough divers on the three days I described to do the trips. We had very nice weather during out visit and did other outdoor activities in addition to diving

Best of luck
Thank you @scubadada. At least it is good to hear you are able to do other activities outside of scuba diving. I am hoping to have a mix so i can see a bit of CR :)

Hi, I've stayed near Playa Del Coco the last 3 Augusts! I can answer your questions.

1) I've done Bats 6 times with Rocket Frog Divers, never cancelled, they go several times per week. This past year I was supposed to do a local dive for my last dive, the boat to Bats showed up and took me there instead for no extra charge. 5 out of 6 dives had bull sharks, one dive had 15 circling us for 40 mins:)

2) Local dives are generally 45-60 mins depending on the number of divers. Bats was less since it's deeper, around 35-45 mins per dive, also circling bull sharks will cause you to use a bit more air:)

3) Viz isn't as good as the Caribbean, but generally it's about 30-50 feet on average.

4) Local diving is pretty good too, lots of schooling fish, sting rays, eagle rays, white tips. Crazy amount of puffer fish too.

5) As stated earlier, no issues with viz. A couple years ago there was a red tide when I arrived and the viz was 3-5 ft. 2 days later it was back to normal.

6) Costa Rica has many distinct areas, having said that, I don't recall seeing any mosquitos in my 6 weeks there around the country.

7) I can't answer this.

8) about 4-1, I had 4 dives this past year where it was just me and the DM, they still went out for 1 diver so I don't think they cancel very often for not having enough divers. Typically, the bats boat had 6-8 divers, local 3-8.

I highly recommend Rocket Frog Divers, they have a shop in Flamingo Beach as well as Coco Beach. They will pick you up within reason as well. I've been to quite a few places diving, and this area is my favorite by far.

Here is a video I put together from Bats, Catalina and local sites from this summer: https://youtu.be/F-oK0-Yw3iA
@Scubanoobi OMG!!! That's epic!!! I never seen anything big so I am hoping to go somewhere where i can see some decent big stuff. I know i will be super nervous seeing the Bulls so a short dive to build up some "resistance" in me might be a good idea :). May i know if you book your dives prior arrival or you just walked in? I had such a bad experience diving in Mozambique that I am worried that if I paid up front and the weather is terrible for more than a week, I won't get any decent diving or the viz is super low (< 5m / 16 feet). I think 10-15m (30-50 feet) on average for the Pacific is actually quite good in my view! I will probably stay in Coco as I won't be driving and I am alone so I need somewhere that have easy access to public transport and food and walking distance to basic amenities. Many people recommend Rich Coast Diving to me. Have you seen their boats? Any good?

When you are diving over at Bats, how deep did the dive goes? I am only certified to 30m. If we need to go deeper I will need to do a deep dive course first. May I know diving in Bats, will it mostly be a fast drift or we actually have to swim against the current all the time? I had experience with some guides who just love diving against the currents and forgot about the divers they are leading and to the extend the divers lost the guide and I ended up telling the divers that if that is to happen again, I will release my DSMB and we will surface without the guide :(.

I am so glad you reply to my post with your latest dive experience over at CR. Ok, I won't discount Cat now especially how wonderful it will be in August! I can't even remember what my question 7 is! I need to read my own post again :)

7) I can't answer this.

@Scubanoobi I just looked at your video. It looks amazing! The pictures are so sharp! Beautifully taken. Hope to see many rays. I am getting greedy now! I saw your video taken a year ago and you took your family to do non-diving activities. Seems like you have a guide. May I know if you have any recommendations on reliable guides? Saw your partner with a pancho. Guess it will be something I need to bring with me!

Hi Yippy, there is lots of big stuff there. When I checked Rich Coast 3 years ago, they were more expensive than Rocket Frog. The good thing about Rocket Frog is that they have 3-4 boats. The one that goes to Bats has 2x 250 HP outboards, it flies. I saw the Rich Coast boat and, lets just say that it didn't look as fast:) It's a 45 minute ride from Coco in the fast boat. I've never had a dive cancelled (I've gone out about 25 times with them).

I usually book the first dive before I go, then I just book as needed and when I find out their schedule. I email them and then pay online, never had an issue. Actually the last 2 years I didn't even see the shop, they pick me up at the beach by boat at the hotel.

They are a great shop and I have no complaints.

I just checked my logbook, Bats max depth has been between 70 and 93 feet (average around 55-60 ft). The current is mild where the bull sharks are, if they don't show up or they leave, then you swim around the island and there is quite a bit of current/surge, but nothing to worry about. You are going with the current, not against.

Hopefully you have an excellent trip!

@Scubanoobi I just looked at your video. It looks amazing! The pictures are so sharp! Beautifully taken. Hope to see many rays. I am getting greedy now! I saw your video taken a year ago and you took your family to do non-diving activities. Seems like you have a guide. May I know if you have any recommendations on reliable guides? Saw your partner with a pancho. Guess it will be something I need to bring with me!

It likely won't rain much in Coco beach (driest part of the country), but if you head to the rain forest it can/will be wet. I've used "Tours your Way" for private tours, not cheap. If you can get Rey he is very good, the owner (can't remember his name) not so much. We went with the private tour because of our young son, we didn't want to slow down other people. But he can out hike my wife so...:)

Hi Yippy, there is lots of big stuff there. When I checked Rich Coast 3 years ago, they were more expensive than Rocket Frog. The good thing about Rocket Frog is that they have 3-4 boats. The one that goes to Bats has 2x 250 HP outboards, it flies. I saw the Rich Coast boat and, lets just say that it didn't look as fast:) It's a 45 minute ride from Coco in the fast boat. I've never had a dive cancelled (I've gone out about 25 times with them).

I usually book the first dive before I go, then I just book as needed and when I find out their schedule. I email them and then pay online, never had an issue. Actually the last 2 years I didn't even see the shop, they pick me up at the beach by boat at the hotel.

They are a great shop and I have no complaints.

I just checked my logbook, Bats max depth has been between 70 and 93 feet (average around 55-60 ft). The current is mild where the bull sharks are, if they don't show up or they leave, then you swim around the island and there is quite a bit of current/surge, but nothing to worry about. You are going with the current, not against.

Hopefully you have an excellent trip!
@Scubanoobi, you are making me super excited about the diving. Good to know the depth at Bats is less than 30m so that save me doing my Deep dive! I will heed your advice about Rocket Frog. A fast reliable boat for such a distant always help with the bum on the boat if the ride is rough! *lol* Are there any local dive sites that in your experience is a "Wow"? May I know if you bring your kit with you? If so, did Rocket Frog gives you any discount as their prices include kit. I have everything so I don't really need theirs. I am surprise that the currents are mild. I am expecting ripping currents and hold my breath on swimming into it and no where to hook up *lol* Going with the currents will be much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom