PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avalanche beacons are used differently, though. I highly recommend at least a Level I avalanche class, but the extremely short version is that they need to be on and transmitting before you set foot (or ski or board) on the snow.

Avalanche beacons are basically the same thing as the 121.5MHz homing signal that is found in PLB and EPIRB. It just operates on a lower frequency so the signal can penetrate snow, but basically the same thing.
The 121.5 MHz signal in a PLB does not go to a satellite, it is used line-of-sight on land/sea. The avalanche beacon uses 457 kHz, meant specifically for use through snow, and also line-of-sight, not to a satellite.

@rjack321 posted a list of country that offer SAR, ECO in this thread, Russian drifted for two days in 8°C/46°F degree waters - Sea of Japan

The list of countries is not complete, yet. Some countries, like Germany, don't have SAR. Japan does have SAR, but it is not in the list, yet.
You think that German's don't have a way to rescue hikers? or snowboarders or divers adrift at sea? Germany does not accept PLBS as radio devices. They do register EPIRBs and the contact address on how to do that is here. https://www.406registration.com/countriessupported.aspx?CultureCode=en-US
And they have search and rescue - unlike some third world countries where they may deploy the Navy if they are in the mood to look for you.

There is contact information for how to register devices in Japan but...
For a US military member stationed in Japan I would register your PLB with NOAA in the US. They are not going to make an international incident over use of it unless the activation is fraudulent or erroneous - and this happens more than you realize so be careful.

Germany does not accept PLBS as radio devices.

Obviously I am confused about this. I thought all PLB is not radio device. It transmits 406 MHz, not in VHF marine radio frequency.

So, for German hikers & skiers, what would they use to send out emergency alert to German SAR?

Obviously I am confused about this. I thought all PLB is not radio device. It transmits 406 MHz, not in VHF marine radio frequency.

So, for German hikers & skiers, what would they use to send out emergency alert to German SAR?
Pretty much anything emitting a radio signal is regulated (worldwide) as a radiofrequency emitter or it is in various exempt classes of radio emitting devices - your alarm clock, microwave, TV, smart luggage, TV remote, stuff like that are usually exempt devices. 406 Mhz emissions are regulated by national laws and international treaty. If they weren't we'd have a gigantic mess of conflicting signals cancelling, overlapping, and false alarming with each other.
ITU-R: Managing the radio-frequency spectrum for the world

When a manufacturer of any device intentionally (or inadvertently) has radio emissions outside of their assigned spectrum or uses excess power that is: 1) radio pollution that impacts other users - often very badly and 2) a big deal.

German hikers would probably use a cell phone or HAM radio to call for help.

The 121.5 MHz signal in a PLB does not go to a satellite, it is used line-of-sight on land/sea. The avalanche beacon uses 457 kHz, meant specifically for use through snow, and also line-of-sight, not to a satellite.

So in other words, basically the same thing, just a different frequency. AKA a homing signal. :)

Everything that transmits any kind of signal is a "radio device". For example, a ship's radar is actually a "radio device". The reason why Germany does not allow land PLBs is because their internal database is only setup to accept MMSI number registrations. If you were to reprogram the PLB with an MMSI number then it would be ok. But, it would have to be for a vessel because MMSI numbers are only issued to vessels. People that are hiking in areas where there can be no PLB, cell service, etc, who have the money, generally bring a handheld satellite phone. They are a bit more expensive than a PLB though. You can spend $1,500 on a sat phone no problem!

Everything that transmits any kind of signal is a "radio device". For example, a ship's radar is actually a "radio device". The reason why Germany does not allow land PLBs is because their internal database is only setup to accept MMSI number registrations. If you were to reprogram the PLB with an MMSI number then it would be ok. But, it would have to be for a vessel because MMSI numbers are only issued to vessels. People that are hiking in areas where there can be no PLB, cell service, etc, who have the money, generally bring a handheld satellite phone. They are a bit more expensive than a PLB though. You can spend $1,500 on a sat phone no problem!

Thanks for the info.

I check on radio frequency, they range from 20 kHz to 300 GHz, with 406 MHz is about in the middle of the spectrum, so ya, that would cover just about all radio devices.

Radio frequency - Wikipedia

Avalanche beacons are two things: a transmitter (that doesn't transmit very far) and a receiver with a display that specifically directs the skier who isn't buried to go in a specific direction to find the buried skier (they also have distance indication, etc.).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom