PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with small, custom-fit cases, is that you end up needing a ton fo them to actually carry your "come get me" stuff. With 1 canister, I can carry a PLB, glowstick, whistle, mirror, dye pack, granola bar, fresh water pouch, and have enough room for a Nautilus is I wanted to go that direction. Rescue streamer attached to the outside only because I'd need a canister twice as wide if I wanted to put it inside. Guys that carry even more than that end up needing a bunch of cases and dry bags and stowing them all over the place.

Different strokes for different folks, but I don't end up like a Christmas tree, all the giftos all over the place. One canister that's attached to me, requires intention to remove so it's not going to get lost, and capable of carrying multiple, useful items of varying levels of "comegetmeness," is the ticket IMO. I can go from whistle, to mirror to the proverbial "pop smoke" if I need to, including enough of the last mile goodies to give me the best chance of getting picked up.
What canister do you refer to please?

What canister do you refer to please?

Upon searching for his post on the subject, I found this post:
Get a PLB. Buy a canister from Light Monkey. Put PLB in canister on your hip where you can light would be. Hose routing is exactly the same, and now you've got a big old OHSH*T button as well in case you get lost.

I don’t want to carry bulky stuff like that. I want to fit all of my safety signaling devices in my BCD pockets. Here’s mine:

E1374BB9-16FE-4F7B-B5ED-2EF7976B333A.jpeg

Upon searching for his post on the subject, I found this post:

I don’t want to carry bulky stuff like that. I want to fit all of my safety signaling devices in my BCD pockets. Here’s mine:

View attachment 630530
For those of us without BCD pockets......the hip canister is a good solution.

I am going to try this cheap canister. The nominal internal diameter is almost exactly the same as the widest part of the PLB1 so it may fit and I might get lucky. I think it will be OK for recreational diving and if the seal leaks a little, the PLB1 is waterproof. If it completely floods - different story!

CE8B6794-911C-408C-8043-D262A8F480AC.jpeg

I am going to try this cheap canister. The nominal internal diameter is almost exactly the same as the widest part of the PLB1 so it may fit and I might get lucky. I think it will be OK for recreational diving and if the seal leaks a little, the PLB1 is waterproof. If it completely floods - different story!

View attachment 630665
That looks interesting, maybe too good to be true. $12.95AU or $9.78USD. I guess you found it here? Scuba Diving Dry Canister - Large - NEW - FREE POSTAGE! | eBay I wonder how much is shipping to the US?

He calls it a Dive Canister, but then describes it for "PERFECT FOR STORING VALUABLE ITEMS DOWN THE BEACH OR ON THE BOAT" I'd be leery of taking it deep. I hope you will do some test dives without the PLB and report here on leaks, as well as let us know if the PLB1 fits, but I doubt that it'll stay dry submerged more than a few feet.

You will want to use silicone grease on the o-ring often, and if you do use it diving, then replace the o-ring every year or two. Be sure to get o-ring specs.

I will keep the forum posted. It is a cheap experiment.
I have the smaller one. They are available in several sizes and probably come from different manufacturers. I have used the small one for keys without any leaks.
I believe that a dive store here had the manufacturer test them and they may be good for 40m.
If the casing is flimsy, no go.
If the o-ring and flange is not well designed that might flag a problem.
If it leaks a little, the PLB1 is waterproof.
If it floods completely then it may drown.

If it floods completely then it may drown.
If that happened at 10 feet, no as the PLBs are rated to 16 feet. If it happened deeper and long enough for the pressure to build up, yes - and you couldn't control that.

Here is my $10 PLB1 case that I got it from eBay. It's an old Sony camera case rated to 40m. I used it for a year (60 dives down to > 30m depth) without any problem.

image.jpeg

Brilliant.. always thought an old camera case of cave light case would work fine.

Back
Top Bottom