PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several PLB choices, but I am not finding many options for water/pressure proof canisters that are suitable for diving. By suitable for diving I mean ease of storage/carrying/attaching, etc.

It appears that the popular McMurdo Dive Canister is no longer available. I sent Star Marine Depot an email to see if they have any idea as to future availability and they have not responded.

Any recommendations? If you already have a custom rig can you please share?

Thanks!

What other PLB options are out there. I want somthing that is user activated and not water activated, and are there links to canisters? I have decided it’s time to make the investment. I will also likely get the Nautilus, most of my diving is in the GOM and plenty of boat traffic.

I see it like a progression, deploy the SMB and wait for pick up. No response activate the Nautilus. No response activate the PLB.

While you may be reconsidering that, my ACR 2881 PLB and nylon canister & brass bolt clamp weigh 17¼ ounces, hang on a D-ring out of my way. I suspect that it's the cost that discourages most, as the PLBs have gone up to around $290, the canister around $110, plus the bolt clamp I had to add. Good for 5 or 6 years tho with a little silicone grease and a couple of o-ring replacements. Then $100+ for battery service. I carry it everywhere, in car, tractor, hiking pack, dive canister. Renewing the registration every other year is so easy; NOAA emails me, I click a link, then click that everything's still the same, and they send me a new sticker.

Now if I ever have to use it, I'll send it in with a good story, and they'll send me a new one for free. Here's one of their rescue stories I picked at random: Paraglider Crash Gets Rescued in 45 Minutes thanks to ResQLink

My cheaper option ~ $200 PLB1 back in 2017 & $10 old camera case waterproof to 40m from eBay.

0E71520E-C628-4247-984A-1D9408572E17.jpeg

A2D5B92A-B2A4-47CF-BB9E-6F78F39AC9D8.jpeg

Cool, so they're adding "infrared strobe along with LED." ACR 2921?

That and MEOSAR compatibility, which is a 2nd satellite constellation to get position from. 2922 will also have a LCD screen, $349 for those.

I have a resqlink I use for sailing. I would love to use it diving if they made a case that was reasonably sized. Everything I've seen are bulky and/or unreliable.

What other PLB options are out there. I want somthing that is user activated and not water activated

All PLB are user activated. None are water activated. As for brands, McMurdo and ACR (Ocean Signal is now owned and supplied by ACR). There is also GME but those are not as popular.

If you are diving in a popular area such as the Marine Park in Cozumel, an SMB is *****"generally"**** all you really need. Just last week in Coz my dive buddy and I surfaced a good distance from our boat. Our DM was preoccupied with some moron "divers" after one went into deco and had no clue she was AND had no clue what to do! (Another thread...) Our boat was following our DM's SMB. We became separated from our boat at the surface by a good 100+ yards and we were drifting. I had my SMB launched and I was never worried becau se there were many other dive Op boats around us. One actually came over to us and asked if they could help. I yelled out the name of our boat and he said he would notify them. Again, I was never in any danger, except for maybe getting hit by one of the many other dive Op boats in the area LOL! After about 10-15 minutes of comfortably floating (and a really cool visit from a turtle) our dive boat got us. I got on board and watched as our awesome DM was "schooling" the clueless moron who went into deco. I can see where the Nautilus system (old or new) could be beneficial if we were really separated from our boat or if we had surfaced with an emergency.

Cameron Donaldson, as I have read, may or may not have benefited from a Nautilus type system. He was diving in the very far north area of Coz, outside the Marine Park where boat traffic is not so dense. His accident occurred on the same day as our incident. A PLB would be the choice for those types of scenarios. I am praying for his rescue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom