PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are my signaling devices I carry in my BCD pockets when I dive in bluewater with known current.

5FB89ED1-FF97-4B9F-8C7E-59AD7C183CFB.jpeg

My cheaper option ~ $200 PLB1 back in 2017 & $10 old camera case waterproof to 40m from eBay.
Works for $100 less. Looks stupid, but works.

2922 will also have a LCD screen, $349 for those.
Why would I want that, much less for $50 more?

If you are diving in a popular area such as the Marine Park in Cozumel, an SMB is *****"generally"**** all you really need.
Generally. I have rolled vehicles with & without seat belts, survived both, but suggest with.

Cameron Donaldson, as I have read, may or may not have benefited from a Nautilus type system. He was diving in the very far north area of Coz, outside the Marine Park where boat traffic is not so dense. His accident occurred on the same day as our incident. A PLB would be the choice for those types of scenarios.
Yeah, and I doubt that most Cozumel boats receive its gps signal. My PLB can do a test to see if the satellites pick it up, and it works within two minutes.

Here are my signaling devices I carry in my BCD pockets when I dive in bluewater with known current.
Wait, is that PLB securely tied to a flotation pouch? I know that that model does not float.

Wait, is that PLB securely tied to a flotation pouch? I know that that model does not float.

Yep. It comes with a floating pouch. Take a look again into its open case, there is a black floatation case tied to it. I tested it once during a checkout dive. It floats. :)

Works for $100 less. Looks stupid, but works...

No one knows that it looks stupid when it’s in BCD pocket. :)

The clear case actually is a good thing for a quick check, whether it leaks or not without opening the case.

It works fine for 2 years now, down to 44m actually. :)

Diving is a interesting sport when it comes to safety.

I say that because the math everyone does risk:reward is always so differently. The balance between enjoy one's dive, being able to self rescue or call for help is interesting, to me.
Most divers don’t think it will happen to them therefore they don’t buy a PLB.

Any EPIRBs for divers?
Reason I ask is that many of the PLDs are direct line of sight with limited range.

Any EPIRBs for divers?
Reason I ask is that many of the PLDs are direct line of sight with limited range.

All the ones being discussed, besides Nautilus, are essentially miniature EPIRBs. They are 406 MHz satellite based, like an EPIRB, and send the same signal as an EPIRB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom