PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread has opened my eyes to many things that I did not pay super attention before. I will get the PLBD but am also thinking of getting one that has a strobe on it or get a small waterproof strobe.

Need to figure out the container portion to keep the stuff in. @Akimbo hinted at something earlier and in other posts which I will look into. So did @CuzzA above. Also need to find radar reflecting tape for my current SMB.

TAYLOR MADE SOLAS Reflective Strips | West Marine

Or if you're feeling particularly rich..... 3M Scotchlite™ SOLAS Reflective Material | West Marine

The best canisters right now are canister light cans. Reason being, they use latches instead of threads, which can be problematic, and they are available in several sizes, so that you can use the space for extra items like dye markers, chem lights, signal mirrors, etc.

TAYLOR MADE SOLAS Reflective Strips | West Marine

Or if you're feeling particularly rich..... 3M Scotchlite™ SOLAS Reflective Material | West Marine

The best canisters right now are canister light cans. Reason being, they use latches instead of threads, which can be problematic, and they are available in several sizes, so that you can use the space for extra items like dye markers, chem lights, signal mirrors, etc.

If I were going to carry some extras I'd definitely add a small solar blanket. In fact I might just do that. Aside from it doubling as a signal mirror, the sun would be brutal during a float and you could also use it to collect rain water. Maybe put some SOLAS tape on the blanket.

The ACR PLB has an integrated strobe which I think would negate the need for chem lights.

Where do you envision carrying the canister? In Cargo Pants or on our BP/W belt or BC pocket for those w/ BCs?

Eh, I'd be hard pressed to consider the light on the PLB as a "strobe." It's a little blinky white LED. At least the one on mine is. Your dive light will be much more visible. The benefit of a chem light is that swinging it around on some string, called "buzzsawing," is INSANELY visible and cannot be mistaken for anything else. Under a set of night vision goggles you'd have to be blind to miss it.

The Light Monkey BAF, their LED strobe, lasts 480 minutes, 8 hours. That's on a 2.6aH battery, basically a middle of the road 18650 battery. It's 4000 lumens strobing. PLB batteries are required to last at least 24 hours. You can imagine how dim the LED is in order to make that runtime.

A solar blanket isn't a bad idea but they're pretty fragile, and the more durable ones are bulkier, so it's a tradeoff. That being said, a little sunshade covered in SOLAS tape might not be a bad idea, and could be fairly large if folding and stored in a backpad pack. Maybe a twisty folding car sunshade type of thing?

Where do you envision carrying the canister? In Cargo Pants or on our BP/W belt or BC pocket for those w/ BCs?

I carry my canister on my belt where my canister light would normally sit. It's convenient for both long hose stowage, as well as being easily accessible if necessary.

If you're asking me, I posted my setup earlier in the thread.

Indeed, and I don't think it's a bad idea to have one. I think they have good utility for getting picked up after a dive. Basically the best DiveAlert (which I carry on my reg set) you could buy.

I'm just trying to make the point about SAR and lost at sea. If I'm floating in the Gulf of Mexico 100 miles out cruising at a few knots with the current. I want the ability to continuously ping the USCG my GPS coordinates.

There's also the issue with how many things we carry on our rig and recognizing everyone is different, I can offer a bit of my perspective...

I try to balance being a minimalist and carrying essentials for my style of diving. I think for a lot of new divers they will tend to collect a bunch of gear only to find it in a bin as they gain experience. Also, as people dive more often, more gear becomes a pain in the ass and tends to get left home or on the boat. I made the decision that I want the best tool for the worst case scenario and so below is a picture of my rig. Like I mentioned before, my SAR kit just blends and disappears with the rig. I don't have pockets on my harness, just a knife and it has to be really cold for me to wear a wetsuit, which would have the ability for glued on pockets. Diving in 78 degrees here in C.R. felt great in my convertible fishing pants and long sleeve moisture wicking t-shirt, everyone else is wearing 3-5 mil suits. This seems to be pretty common for me wherever I go.

Ultimately, everyone is different, there's not necessarily a wrong way to do it. But again, I'm just saying, if you're making a choice between a handheld VHF and a PLB, I think it makes sense to buy the PLB. It fits very nicely in the Custom Divers canister. It is not big and bulky like some other canisters out there (refer to my aforementioned statement about leaving gear at home).

My PLB canister is bolt snapped to my 8 foot SMB. Remember, while the ACR Plus PLB is buoyant, it will sink like a rock inside the canister. So the SMB also serves as a bit of flotation for deploying the PLB if you keep a tiny bit of air in it.

View attachment 510755

* Earlier I mentioned I have a DGX lift bag sleeve, which I do on another rig, here you see an XS Scuba lift bag sleeve. Same thing.

20190320_062413-jpg.510755.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom