PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s overkill and not a practical solution. .....The locating device is a blindspot detector which is useful to have but not essential for save driving.
Most of these disagreements in rigging are simply because people have different styles of diving.

Some stay within sight/arms length of the DM and never leave so don't feel the need for a PLB/VHF
Others can't wait to ditch/lose the DM and go on their own search,,,and should have a PLB/VHF

Cave divers say sidemount is absolutely essential
Ocean divers say sidemount is not practical/essential

Saying a certain type of rigging is not essential is just that person doesn't dive like that and that rigging isn't for them. Talk to a valet car parker and he'll tell you seatbelts are a waste of time in his job. So be it.

That’s overkill and not a practical solution. Diving, as with most activities, entails effective risk management not elimination. Chances are that you’ll get hit by a distracted driver before getting lost at sea. It is a rare event.

But if it does happen, make sure that the essential equipment you carry will help save the day. An SMB at least 5 ft, not a lift bag. A strobe light. A primary reel with at least 250 ft of line. Even if you’re shooting from well below 100 ft because of deco obligation, strong currents push an SMB sideways, sometimes 45 degrees or more, and you don’t want to run out of reel. Practice shooting SMBs. These equipment have multiple uses and will help protect you when Murphy comes calling. These are your seat belt, airbags, and helmet. The locating device is a blindspot detector which is useful to have but not essential for save driving.

Until it happens to you. Tell that to @NYCNaiad

If you have PAB / PLB, you can launch it sooner to increase the chance for boat / SAR team of finding you sooner. They will have your GPS location to track on.

Don't think about yourself. Think about your love ones, friends and the SAR team that would spend long hours, tons of money to search you for days, as in the case of Cameron and many divers lost at sea.

We need to change this attitude. It shouldn't be a question of "if possible," it should be something that every diver sees as vital to their safety, and a necessary part of their kit if they are planning on diving in open water, regardless of how benign they may think conditions are. We spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on all sorts of gear for our sport, this should be part of that expenditure.

Firstly, my condolences to all that knew and loved Cameron. I did not know him, but he must have been a very special guy. I, like everyone else following this, wake up everyday and check this thread hoping for a miracle. Secondly, this has reinvigorated conversations with my husband about needing a PLB. While, I agree that not everyone “must” carry one, depending on the diving you’re doing it may be a “must”. We are primarily diving Bonaire. Our 4th and 5th trips are already booked for June and August. Recent trips, we’ve commented on “how would anyone even know if we went missing”. I think shore diving adds a new dimension to safety. It’s not a boat dive where a crew of people would realize you were gone and begin searching for you. I’m not saying that there aren’t still risks there, but they are greatly increased when shore diving. I also agree with the commenter that these companies probably don’t want to manufacturer these devices because they want to minimize the fact that this is a dangerous sport. I get it, but this IS a dangerous sport. I plan to go back and read the thread about PLB’s and purchase two before our next trip.

The $10 40m waterproof rated Sony camera case that I have been using for my PLB1 may not be the high quality, bulky, heavy & expensive Light Monkey canister, but it has served me well for 2 years, ~ 200 dives and up to 44m depth. :)

Which one exactly?

Most of these disagreements in rigging are simply because people have different styles of diving.

Some stay within sight/arms length of the DM and never leave so don't feel the need for a PLB/VHF...

Even those divers who stuck with DM were lost at sea and never found. Two were found 48 hours later after a massive search including US navy & planes in Colombia water.

4 diveres went missing - Malpelo, Colombia

That’s overkill and not a practical solution. Diving, as with most activities, entails effective risk management not elimination. Chances are that you’ll get hit by a distracted driver before getting lost at sea. It is a rare event.

But if it does happen, make sure that the essential equipment you carry will help save the day. An SMB at least 5 ft, not a lift bag. A strobe light. A primary reel with at least 250 ft of line. Even if you’re shooting from well below 100 ft because of deco obligation, strong currents push an SMB sideways, sometimes 45 degrees or more, and you don’t want to run out of reel. Practice shooting SMBs. These equipment have multiple uses and will help protect you when Murphy comes calling. These are your seat belt, airbags, and helmet. The locating device is a blindspot detector which is useful to have but not essential for save driving.
How is it overkill and who said PAB/PLB's eliminate risk? Like the SMB you refer to, they are just more tools to assist in finding you when things "go south" - so they help to minimize risk, not eliminate it.

Honestly, seeing the real challenges and guesswork required to even attempt to find Cameron was sobering. Given what I saw unfold, I will definitely be adopting a kit like Dan T employs when diving in open waters to hopefully improve my odds if recovery if lost at sea. That is easily worth a few hundred dollars of investment for me and my family.

Which one exactly?

I posted earlier in another thread:
PLBs Can Save Your Life

Yap. It's Sony MPK-PHA

Here's one for $14.99 with spare o-ring
Sony MPK-THA Cyber-shot Marine Pack for DSC-P73 40M 132' Depth Camera Underwater | eBay

It's MPK-PHA, the seller put the wrong model number for P-series camera. MPK-THA is for T-series (thin) camera.

Although I have spare o-ring, I have not replaced my old camera o-ring, yet for 10-years, 700 dives with it. Maintenance is the key. After the trip, I open the case & let the o-ring return to the relax state in my camera drawer. Otherwise, if you store camera case in closed position, after a few months or so, the elastomer memory may not return to its original shape and you will get a flat spot. Then you might as well trash that o-ring.

Same thing with storing your car in garage for few months or so. If you don't rotate its tires once a week or jack the car off the ground, you will have flat spot on your tires. Then you wonder why your car driving as out of balance after a few months of not driving it.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

We need to change this attitude. It shouldn't be a question of "if possible," it should be something that every diver sees as vital to their safety, and a necessary part of their kit if they are planning on diving in open water
While I usually enjoy your posts and more often than not agree with them, allow me to disagree rather forcefully on this.

99.9% (or more) of my diving is in conditions where carrying a PLB or an EPIRB would be serious overkill. In those scenarios, gettting lost at sea would be one of my minor concerns. Sure, there are other issues to handle, but just because of that I prefer to do an informed risk analysis and carry the most relevant equipment.

We need to change this attitude. It shouldn't be a question of "if possible," it should be something that every diver sees as vital to their safety, and a necessary part of their kit if they are planning on diving in open water, regardless of how benign they may think conditions are. We spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on all sorts of gear for our sport, this should be part of that expenditure.

John...thank you... and others...

I have a new Nautilus as part of my 2019 gear purchases...for $200. I can't think of better insurance...I've spent a lot more and got a lot less...

I've also decided to get rid of all my button SPG's and replace them with full size SPG's positioned in locations where I can actually see them...

I'm 70 in May...and not getting any younger...or diving any shallower...and for the sake of $200....how could anyone find an excuse not to have a PAB/PLB...or both...

Cameron is on eternal patrol teaching us all lessons...and will continue to do so for a long time to come...

Gods speed brother...

Warren

John...thank you... and others...

I have a new Nautilus as part of my 2019 gear purchases...for $200. I can't think of better insurance...I've spent a lot more and got a lot less...

I've also decided to get rid of all my button SPG's and replace them with full size SPG's positioned in locations where I can actually see them...

I'm 70 in May...and not getting any younger...or diving any shallower...and for the sake of $200....how could anyone find an excuse not to have a PLB...

Cameron is on eternal patrol teaching us all lessons...and will continue to do so for a long time to come...

Gods speed brother...

Warren

Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS is a PAB, not PLB, i.e., you won't be sending signal all the way to SAR satellites for SAR team to be alerted and mobilized for your rescue. PAB would send VHF AIS & DSC "man overboard" signal to nearby boat. However, having PAB is still better than nothing. I have both (PAB & PLB). :)

Back
Top Bottom