PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt that see thru plastic is going to be tough enough to standup to getting knocked around on the boat hull when I backroll.

The OMS is very tough because it is made of Polycarbonate, on-par with Nylon. Acrylic is much less impact resistant. A positive feature of a transparent housing is you can inspect the O-ring seal and for water leaks.

The OMS is very tough because it is made of Polycarbonate, on-par with Nylon. Acrylic is much less impact resistant. A positive feature of a transparent housing is you can inspect the O-ring seal and for water leaks.
Is it available to purchase?

Can anyone confirm that the new ACR PLB-400 will fit in the custom divers canister? It looks like it would just fit height wise.
Here we go again with variations on names & numbers. The ResQLink 400 or ACR 2921 size is:
4.52” (L) x 2.03” (W) x 1.49” (D)
11.48 cm (L) x 5.16 cm (W) x 3.78 cm (D)
Spec sheet attached

Are you talking about this canister? PLB DIVE CANISTER NOV2016 INC BELT MOUNT
Dimensions: (External) 75mm x 125mm (W x H)
(Interrnal) 61 x 115mm (Dia x H)
If you are as bad with metrics as I, one cm = ten mm. Except the canister is round so you have to allow for the curve effect, so - I really can't say, sorry.

Attachments

• ACR PLB-400 - Spec Sheet.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
By the way, I have my HDVSEATEK on a key ring clipped to a brass snap bolt. (Is snap bolt the word I am looking for?) I've been getting key rings here and there, but the silver ones don't hold up in salt water. Get brass key rings!

If you need a ring & snap bolt both, this looks like a good buy at $6.41 with free shipping, or he has some larger ones: Heavy-Duty Bolt snap Key Carrier,No 44801, LUCKY LINE PROD INC 85721448010 | eBay

s-l500.jpg

I needed a few brass rings, for my canister, lights, camera, etc. This looks like a good buy, 20 brass rings 1.18" in diameter for $9.09 with free shipping: 20 Pieces Brass Key Chains Rings for Home Car Keys Organization Attachment | eBay

The 4½" diameter ring would be easier than the 3" because you'd have more leverage. Your other hand would push against the ear with a hole for attaching your brass bolt snap.

"Pressing your palm against the lid" sounds too much like the pill bottles I struggle to open. Is that the skinny one that he said is not made anymore and "it is too small in diameter for many PLBs"? I doubt that see thru plastic is going to be tough enough to standup to getting knocked around on the boat hull when I backroll.

You don't need to push & twist like pill bottles. You just grab the lid with 5 fingers and twist. So you have better grip by using 10 fingers to open it (one hand to hold on the cylinder canister & the other hand on the lid), just like opening a cookie jar, versus 3 fingers the way you described (2 fingers on the ring & a thumb on the ear piece) & may fumbling & dropping the canister as mention by @tursiops in page 4, post #40, "I have one of these. It is needlessly bulky, and not designed well....easy to drop the closure ring when opening the canister." and
I've got an HDVSEATEK canister, and I don't care for it. It requires regular maintenance/lubrication to keep it dry. Mcmurdo makes an aluminum canister that's better but quite a bit more expensive. I saw a post on SB where someone was keeping their PLB in an old camera housing (I think it was some kind of point&shoot film camera housing). The hdvseatek is also kind of big, but it does the job when properly maintained.

Any rate, if it works fine for you then that's fine by me. I'm just trying to give other people that have problem with it to have a better option. I think I'm going to make one with inside dimension of 2.5" ID x 4.75" H to fit most PLB.

It'll have 1/4" cylinder wall with 1/2" thick bottom & 3/4" thick lid. The overall outside dimension would be 3" OD x 6" H. I think it'll be strong enough to getting knocked around on the boat hull when I back roll.

0B59449B-A108-47A1-8D52-BF4A3286A5FC.jpeg

Here we go again with variations on names & numbers. The ResQLink 400 or ACR 2921 size is:
4.52” (L) x 2.03” (W) x 1.49” (D)
11.48 cm (L) x 5.16 cm (W) x 3.78 cm (D)
Spec sheet attached

Are you talking about this canister? PLB DIVE CANISTER NOV2016 INC BELT MOUNT
Dimensions: (External) 75mm x 125mm (W x H)
(Interrnal) 61 x 115mm (Dia x H)
If you are as bad with metrics as I, one cm = ten mm. Except the canister is round so you have to allow for the curve effect, so - I really can't say, sorry.

It may fit but a bit tight. Diagonal dimension of 51.6mm W x 37.8mm D = 64.0mm. Hopefully the curve edges would knock a few millimeters off to get the diagonal dimension down to 61.0mm.

I read in some post that part of the antenna needs to be shaved to fit into the 115mm.

My new Acrylic canister may have 63.5mm ID x 120.6mm H, So that shouldn’t be a problem.

It may fit but a bit tight. Diagonal dimension of 51.6mm W x 37.8mm D = 64.0mm. Hopefully the curve edges would knock a few millimeters off to get the diagonal dimension down to 61.0mm.

I read in some post that part of the antenna needs to be shaved to fit into the 115mm.

My new Acrylic canister may have 63.5mm ID x 120.6mm H, So that shouldn’t be a problem.
Are you going to make the lid out of a different material than the body to avoid thread binding?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom