PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We got matching his n’ hers for Valentine# Day....

Breitling Emergency - Swiss watch with distress beacon

New PLB/watch rated upto 50m (166') depth posted by @Doc here
Tracking device for skiing and diving

I like this style, below.

image.jpeg

But not for $16,500. Ouch!

Breitling Emergency (E76325U1/BC02)

I thought that looked really good. Until I scrolled down :)

That makes my PLB1 looks really cheap & reasonable to have even though it is pain in the rear to carry it in the canister around during diving.

That makes my PLB1 looks really cheap & reasonable to have even though it is pain in the rear to carry it in the canister around during diving.

agreed! I'd even carry it for you for a fraction of the price :)

I like the pvc canister from Customdivers (£78), though somewhat "floaty" because of its size.
Watertight to 180msw (590fsw).
Outside dim: 75mm (3'') dia by 125mm (5'') height, 250g (0.55lb/8.8oz) so positive buoyancy of 1.9kg (4.3lb). Belt mount is 36g (1.26oz)
Inside dim: 61mm (2.4'') dia by 115mm (4.5'') height, capacity 1.34 liter.
A PLB and/or Sat-phone inside this canister will still leave it +buoyant.
-
Made me think... What else would you like to bring if there is no dive-boat there to pick you up.
- How about some fresh water! Your body (and you) can be quite dehydrated after a dive, especially if on OC.
You can get those small expensive 0.2 liter sachets of "emergency water"
Or you could make some yourself with small zip-lock bags. (With small bags you only loose a little water when it slips from your cold fingers)
- Stuffing these sachets in with you PLB etc. should weigh it down a bit.
Will probably not end up neutrally buoyant, but I guess you could put a bit of lead on the belt mount and make it part of your weight management.
- I believe in bringing water for longer dives, traditionally this would be in a squeeze-bag for use under and above water.
If you loose that squeeze-bag, you would still have some in your canister to save the day while you are bobbing on the surface waiting to be found.
- Maybe a lighter for when you end up drifting onto that deserted island...

I want my canister to remain buoyant so when I fumble removing it, it floats to the surface instead of sinking.

If you want to carry water on a dive, you don't need it inside a canister as long as the container is full. Stick a foil blanket inside the canister to take up space.

I agree that I would not like that canister to sink from me on the surface.
The canister would still be buoyant even if you filled it with water (according to the numbers from CustomDivers website).
To counteract that you could put lead on the belt mount (a webbing cage).
When you release the canister it will still float. (Total volume 2.2 liter and 250g, 1.34 liter internal volume.
Inside water was to take off some of the positive buoyancy. (Positive buoyancy of 1.9kg (4.2lb))
Water proof PLB Canisters, Belt or Harness Mounted Canisters

I like the pvc canister from Customdivers (£78), though somewhat "floaty" because of its size.
Watertight to 180msw (590fsw).
Outside dim: 75mm (3'') dia by 125mm (5'') height, 250g (0.55lb/8.8oz) so positive buoyancy of 1.9kg (4.3lb). Belt mount is 36g (1.26oz)
Inside dim: 61mm (2.4'') dia by 115mm (4.5'') height, capacity 1.34 liter.
A PLB and/or Sat-phone inside this canister will still leave it +buoyant.
-
Made me think... What else would you like to bring if there is no dive-boat there to pick you up.
- How about some fresh water! Your body (and you) can be quite dehydrated after a dive, especially if on OC.
You can get those small expensive 0.2 liter sachets of "emergency water"
Or you could make some yourself with small zip-lock bags. (With small bags you only loose a little water when it slips from your cold fingers)
- Stuffing these sachets in with you PLB etc. should weigh it down a bit.
Will probably not end up neutrally buoyant, but I guess you could put a bit of lead on the belt mount and make it part of your weight management.
- I believe in bringing water for longer dives, traditionally this would be in a squeeze-bag for use under and above water.
If you loose that squeeze-bag, you would still have some in your canister to save the day while you are bobbing on the surface waiting to be found.
- Maybe a lighter for when you end up drifting onto that deserted island...

I have clear acrylic version with similar dimensions fabricated by my local machine shop, Scientific Glass & Plastic – Custom Fabrication of Thermoplastics & Scientific Glassware as shown in post #684, page 69. It's still too big for my PLB1 (it may fit better for The ResQLink 400 and ResQLink View Personal Locator Beacons | ACR). So, SG&P is making 2.5" OD (2" ID), 0.5" smaller for me for $125.

I'll be testing both of the canisters when I go diving in Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary - Wikipedia in 2 weeks.

If anyone wants either the big (3" OD X 6" L) or small acrylic canister (2.5" OD X 6" L), just contact Joey at SG&P (979) 233-7491 and tell him that you want one made based on the drawing of Dan_T.

I agree that I would not like that canister to sink from me on the surface.
The canister would still be buoyant even if you filled it with water (according to the numbers from CustomDivers website).
To counteract that you could put lead on the belt mount (a webbing cage).
When you release the canister it will still float. (Total volume 2.2 liter and 250g, 1.34 liter internal volume.
Inside water was to take off some of the positive buoyancy. (Positive buoyancy of 1.9kg (4.2lb))
Water proof PLB Canisters, Belt or Harness Mounted Canisters

Man, I wouldn't want to put any water pouch inside the canister with the PLB. I just stick a couple of these apple juice pouches in my BCD pockets.

image.jpeg

Has anyone tried using a combo like the pelican 1010 encased in a bag for their plb1? My husband is convinced this would work.

Back
Top Bottom