PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A better case design is using latch & hinge like in most camera cases & Nautilus MRG. However to protect from accidental unlatching situation while diving due to say entanglement, you need to secure the latch. Nautilus MRG provide a rubber jacket over the latch to prevent such accident.

A better design case with latch & hinge cap.
4E195AFF-70EC-4217-9306-8270D7A0CD97.jpeg

After unlatch it, the cover just hinges out of the way but it still attaches onto the MRG.
9C5B24F3-830D-4B51-BE29-27A32C4FD7E9.jpeg

To protect the latch from accidentally unlatched, you put a rubber jacket over the latch handle (see the red arrow, below).
200B6EBD-44AC-476B-B1D6-BD9FACFBC923.jpeg

I wish Nautilus made PLB like the MRG with 400’ waterproof depth rating.

Anyone interested in a OLD Style Nautilus Lifeline (with VHF and GPS)?

Let me know. I have two brand new unopened.

Received the Viton gasket today & installed it for 2nd seal, as shown below.
View attachment 523894 View attachment 523895

Also I just realized that the canister was not tethered to the lid. So I asked the shop to glue a pad with a hole to the bottom of the canister for tethering the canister with the rest of my gadgets.
View attachment 523896 View attachment 523897

Hopefully the weather will be good enough for testing them in Flower Garden Banks on Saturday.

Trip was cancelled due to bad weather last weekend. :( It’s rescheduled to July 20.

My anti-virus is again (or still) giving warnings at the ACR site. I reported it again and got this assurance that it's not harmful...
This issue has been reported to our team and they are working on it. In the meantime, you can rest assured that this is not related to a virus, but a complex code embedded into the website which some anti-viruses don’t understand and judge it as they will. It takes time until the new code is written and replaced.

Thanks for posting the rebate info, it got me off the fence and I bought an Ocean Signal PLB1 with a Custom Divers canister. The canister cost was £65 + £18 shipping to the US + £1.58 for the extra o-rings and arrived in 4 days. I am super happy with the canister and it fits the PLB1 in its float case perfectly.

Since I couldn't find any pictures of a PLB1 + float case inside the Custom Divers canister, here is mine:

PLB1 inside Custom Divers.jpg

I am also including a picture of how I carry it with my Nautilus LifeLine Radio inside a XS Scuba Mesh Carry Pouch which I quick link to the bottom of my backplate. I add the liveaboard's Marine Rescue GPS or other AIS MOB device they might issue to their passengers to the pouch if necessary.

XS Scuba Pouch.jpg

Nice. What is the white band on the top of your canister?

Doubled up cave line with a loop at the end. I use my free double-ender to clip it to my right shoulder d-ring. The line is arms length so that I don't have to unclip when handling the canister.

View attachment 525563
Thanks. Good idea.

Having both the canister & cap tethered to you is also important. If you open the canister while floating on the surface, wave hit you and you lose grip of the canister, you don’t have to swim and search for it, just pull the line back to you.

For me the canister would be more useful to be tethered to my BCD than the cap, as a canister is a big enough cup for collecting rainwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom