Please explain (teach me)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of info but I think most of it beyond where the OP is at this point. I'll add these:

- Situational awareness and the practice/training to be more aware will serve you well and now is a good time for you to work on this. No good to clear your mask and find yourself deeper than target depth for any dive just to name one example.
- Spend some time learning the ins and outs of your computer if you are going to use it. You should know what it is telling you at all times. You should know what to expect next from it and if you don't you either don't know the computer well yet or you failed on the first point (SA).
- Even when you understand the computer it is not a good idea to fly it so close to the edge at your level. Once you better understand how it functions and "where exactly you are" in a dive, you can push it a little and have the knowledge to make good decisions when the info doesn't jive or you step over the line.

Have fun and keep learning.

Willem

Oxygen is always a great option in this case. Too many boats and professionals freak out at the use of Oxygen, and it's not such a big deal. I had one charter suggest that if they use their O2 that they HAVE to initiate EMS. Such rubbish.

I've come across this as well:

Girl surfaced from a dive at our local lake with a splitting headache. Her group did not want to give her O2 as ("She would have to go to hospital if we did" ?? !!! )

Lent her my O2 deco tank which she sucked on for 20 minutes and started feeling better. Very much doubt she was having DCS issues but O2 is very cheap insurance.

If I had the hint of a suspicion of a problem after a dive I would be straight on O2.

- Spend some time learning the ins and outs of your computer if you are going to use it. You should know what it is telling you at all times. You should know what to expect next from it and if you don't you either don't know the computer well yet or you failed on the first point (SA).
I agree and disagree with this. Most Dive Shops', and quite a few divers' situational awareness on PDCs is that they are somewhat evil. I've even seen it suggested that real divers use tables and that's implied often even here on ScubaBoard. I would suggest that you learn about your PDC at DiveNav. Alberto is creating a new class that is all about using a PDC to dive and I can't wait to see how it turns out. You can bet that this will become a part of my curriculum for my OW students.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom