Please help a newby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just click on the report button and ask for that to be done.

My two cents worth I have been using back inflate BC for over 25 years and am currently on my third. I have never had an issue being forced face down by inflation. The new BC's have trim pockets that when balanced out with the integrated weights you can do face up flotation and surface head up with no problems whatsoever. Second with back inflates you don't get the abdomen squeeze from inflation, third they do pack nice for tripping. I do not get into telling people which brand is the best BC as I see it as personal preference mine being the Scubapro Seahawk/with Air2 which has substantial lift. As far as sizing depending on brand an in shop look would be best for fitting I think with a few dives you'll be down to the 10 to 12 lb total weighting if not even less and a medium-large to large you will find fits you nicely. P.S. on a sidebar my son-in-law after 15 dives went to a back inflate and is totally in love with the freedom of movement the BC gave him, and no issues of forcing a face down attitude at surface. Enjoy the water time whichever way you go and good luck

I like the write-ups on the back inflators, but one of the things that brings terror to my research is when I read about “back inflators” that tend to push my face into the water while on the surface. I understand that I shouldn’t totally inflate the back, but those words still scare the #$&*@ out of me. Sometimes the boats down here are not where you surface and you may need to float for 10 minutes or so on the surface. I need my face out of the water!

This is what happens when people that don't know that they don't know anything
parrot the other people that don't know anything in order to ingratiate themselves

A bit like this guy down here that has no practical concept that an overinflated jacket bcd
squeezes your chest restricting your breathing as he has read and interpreted it's waists

With a jacket BCD you go from having an air bladder squeezing your waist when inflated to a back inflate wing that does not, it is like getting a spare tire off your waist.

This is what happens when people that don't know that they don't know anything
parrot the other people that don't know anything in order to ingratiate themselves

A bit like this guy down here that has no practical concept that an overinflated jacket bcd
squeezes your chest restricting your breathing as he has read and interpreted it's waists

as I stated I have used both Jacket BCDs and BP/Ws. I have been certified since 1993 so I am comfortabe that I can accurately describe the feeling of both types of BCDs.

but I truly appreciate that this post is one in a long string of sarcastic, cryptic, and totally inaccurate posts by you.

Reactions: IT.
Why did you opt for the weights there?
My boys are newbies and felt it was easier for them to ditch their weights.

BP/W's are wonderful to dive, but I wouldn't suggest one for frequent air travel. There are workarounds, but for this case I would point towards a back-inflate bcd. I would also suggest calling a few dive shops (Georgia has more than a few) and seeing if you can try a few out in the pool before you buy. And laying on your back at the end of a dive waiting for the line at the ladder to thin out is one of life's joys.

BP/W's are wonderful to dive, but I wouldn't suggest one for frequent air travel. There are workarounds, but for this case I would point towards a back-inflate bcd. I would also suggest calling a few dive shops (Georgia has more than a few) and seeing if you can try a few out in the pool before you buy. And laying on your back at the end of a dive waiting for the line at the ladder to thin out is one of life's joys.
Lol

Back
Top Bottom