Please help me find a dive computer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasaint

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello to everyone! I am a relatively new diver, but have gotten to the point where I am interested and also have the resources to go diving more often. With that said, I would like to purchase a dive computer, but have absolutely no idea where to even begin. I understand the more expensive models have more "bells and whistles", but I don't even know what I should have.

I would be looking for something that is compatible with oxygen and nitrox and could also download the infrmation to a PC. Also need something that would calculate all of the essentials.

Again, I don't even know everything that is available or what features I should definitely have. :confused:

If anyone can help me out with this and point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated!! Thanks for all your help in advance!

Have a look at the Oceanic VEO series.
Good prices,easy reading and a choice of "bells and whistles" :14:

Thanks for the help. Stupid question here but if I were to buy a wrist computer, how does it collect all of the information being wireless? Forgive my ignorance!

No stupid question(only stupid question is the one not asked)
If going wireless the only info from the transmitter is tankpressure,all the rest is comming from the sensors in the wrist computer.
Transmitter is connected to the 1st stage hp port.
btw.VEO series is not wireless,in that case have a look at the VT3
awsome computer

I dive a Oceanic GEO, which is a non air-integrated wrist computer. So I still wear the air gauge, but it does all the other calculations for me based on depth and ntrogen load. I'm a little cautious, so I have all the other gauges as well. The GEO is very inexpensive, and works great. My buddy dives an ATOM 2, which essentially the same computer with a wireless air transmitter. Very cool, but more than twice as expensive. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of your input. Another computer I was looking at was the Aeris' MANTA Dive Computer. It looks to have many features I would be interested in. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

300bar diver:
Have a look at the Oceanic VEO series.
Good prices,easy reading and a choice of "bells and whistles" :14:

I bought a VEO 180 late last year & used it on Cozumel this past March & @ Little Cayman last week......So far, it's done a great job....just ordered the USB cable for it the week before going to LC & have not had the time to get that going.....will do that next week after getting back from the Flower Gardens, leaving out tomorrow.....One place(I think 123 Scuba) had it for $200 about 2 months ago.......IMO, a very good recreational diving computer......

I have used a ScubaPro Smart.COM for the 48 dives that I have made this year. It has the features that you mentioned (nitrox capable, infared transferable to your PC). I also like the backlight for night diving, and the integrated pressure gauge.

Really I couldn't imagine going to the old tables and traditional planning. There is really nothing to do other than to change the %oxygen when using nitrox and jump in the water. It calculates everything. It is going to make me a stupid diver, it is so simple.

I'll vote for a Cressi Archimede/Apeks Quantum/Tusa IQ-700/Dive Rite Duo. They are all the same computer made by Seiko and are marketed under the various brand names. Big numbers, user-changable (and inexpensive) batteries and, in my case, stone reliable. I have a four + year old Archimede (the single gas version) and love it. Several of my friends have Suunto Gekkos and Mosquitos and are equally happy with theirs.

Hope this helps

Phil

I just purchased an Oceanic Veo 180 and d/l cable from Scubatoys. Price for everything was very reasonable and the computer seems like it will do everything that I need without being complex (plus it has Nitrox capability if I choose to do that). Scubatoys will give you a 10% SB discount if you ask.

Harb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom