PLEASE help me prove i wasn't narked

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queen angelfish, Holacanthus ciliaris, are tropical fish found in coral reefs in the western Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Atlantic Ocean as far south as Brazil. They do not migrate, and they are commonly spotted near the Bahamas and Florida. (Pauly and Froese, 2010)

They are everywhere, we have them a lot in the ABC islands, if we have then and they are in Bahamas thay mean they are everywhere in the caribbean.

Not sure how many home aquaria there are in Vanuatu.....

Thanks for for fish education!

It doesn't have to be directly off the coast.

Fish can be release elsewhere, spawn and then have their spawn taken far away by Ocean Currents and Tropical Storms.
It's how we got our Lionfish invasion all the way from Florida to South Carolina and out to Bermuda. Best guess is it started with around 12 individuals released from one Aquarium in Florida during a hurricane, sometime in the mid-90's. Now they're very well established.

Last edited:
Queen angelfish is one of my favorite species. But I only found it in western atlantic. Never in Asia :)

I lied, one more quick try:
Blue Angel - Pomacanthus semicirculatus
Am I getting the right body type at least?

View attachment 196026

YOU BEAUTY !!!!!!! -I'm NOT going mad. I did see the buggar !!!!!!!!!!
The only differences may well have been my perception rather than reality.-Ie the "flashes" were most likely the fins moving as the fish was swimming.and the tips top and bottom extended a bit further back.
otherwise THAT is the fish I saw.

Add the fact that the angelfish will hybridize and you get really wide variations.

We know you were trying to get a fish ID. However you posed it as to prove you were not narced and at that depth you certainly were to some degree.
yea mon I'm hearing ya. What I 'said" and the message I was trying to get across were two different things.
Maybee a rephrase is in order.
"help me prove that I wasn't seeing things" probably would be a better title.-would have saved any discussions on the effects of NN

I did miss that. Interestingly though Pauly & Froese Fishbase update 2014 doesn't list that, but it's Suitable Habitat map displays West Indies. Native Range is solely Atlantic. Every web reference I found that said different is that exact quote you posted, from 2010. Which strikes me as odd.
That's actually what I'm seeing now also. It was the first link when I googled Queen Angelfish range - or similar - don't remember the exact wording I used. So it's possible it was wrong. I can't find the reference again now either.

Last edited:
I've seen them in western Indonesia (bordering the Indian Ocean).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom